Irregular News for 01.26.07

Japan -- McDonald's Japan has been forced to limit sales of its new Mega Mac hamburger to counter low stocks resulting from its huge popularity.

Customers who have been unable to buy the 350 yen hamburgers due to a shortage of stocks are being handed coupons enabling them to buy them next time for 190 yen. The company had planned to sell the hamburgers until Feb. 4, but it is now planning to extend the sales period for at least one week because of their popularity.

The Mega Mac hamburger went on sale in Japan on Jan. 12. It contains four meat patties -- twice the number of a regular Big Mac. In the first four days after it went on sale, about 3.32 million of the burgers were sold, doubling the company's expectations.

Fearing that it would not be able to keep up with demand, the company began limiting the daily number of Mega Macs sold at its stores, from several dozen per day to several hundred per day, depending on the store. It is rare for the company to limit sales of a product.

Following the introduction of the measure, lines have continued to form outside some stores in the heart of Tokyo before opening time, and some restaurants in the chain say they are selling out of the burgers before noon.

Each Mega Mac contains 754 kilocalories of nutritional energy, and the popularity of the hamburger exceeded the restaurant chain's expectations.

"It's the first time that we've had a shortage of a hamburger," a company representative said. "I guess the convenience of being able to hold a decent meal in one hand has gotten the thumbs-up, especially from young men."

source

I remeber the Big Mac... when he hit 70 homeruns and beat Sosa out for the record. Oh wait, wrong Big Mac.

The Big Mac burger was a joke. It might have been huge in the 80's, but the two patties together equal the size of an average burger at Jack-in-Box, Whataburger, etc., etc.. Or so it seems.

Now they are just getting ridiculous..............although I do love me a 3/4 bacon cheesburger from Hardee's that s.o.b. is gynormous!!!! :o

You should try the 5 pounder at grand ma maxes in grand island.

5 LBS!!!! :hellloooo

I am sure that is what it is, can someone verify this claim.

You are correct. I believe they give some sort of reward if you can finish the burger and fries in one hour. THey have a whole wall of peoples pictures that have done it.

Now they are just getting ridiculous..............although I do love me a 3/4 bacon cheesburger from Hardee's that s.o.b. is gynormous!!!! :o

5 LBS!!!! :hellloooo

I am sure that is what it is, can someone verify this claim.

You are correct. I believe they give some sort of reward if you can finish the burger and fries in one hour. THey have a whole wall of peoples pictures that have done it.

I want my picture up there! But I'm sure everyone's picture probably looks like they want to kill themselves

Do they still have those?? That burger was a thing of beauty.