Watson New OC

I think that is part of our problems to be honest with you. It seems whenever a head coach tries to get involved in too many things during the game that bad play calling or mistakes start to happen. When the head coach decides not to try and do too much and let his assistants and coordinators do their thing it seems that the teams tend to do better. :dunno

I think that is part of our problems to be honest with you. It seems whenever a head coach tries to get involved in too many things during the game that bad play calling or mistakes start to happen. When the head coach decides not to try and do too much and let his assistants and coordinators do their thing it seems that the teams tend to do better. :dunno

You could be on to something. TO called his own plays from the begining but

in his later years he gave some of that duties to Frank. Look what we did

in that stretch.

Also remember that Solich had his infamous 10-3 season when he gave the play calling duties to Cotton. It seems to work sooooo much better whenever an OC calls plays and a HC gameplans and <gasp> makes adjustments. Lets hope that BC and the staff finally start to make in game adjustments rather then stick to the gameplan all the time. Great coaches adjust, we saw a lot of them this year.

:bonez

Also remember that Solich had his infamous 10-3 season when he gave the play calling duties to Cotton. It seems to work sooooo much better whenever an OC calls plays and a HC gameplans and <gasp> makes adjustments. Lets hope that BC and the staff finally start to make in game adjustments rather then stick to the gameplan all the time. Great coaches adjust, we saw a lot of them this year.

:bonez

If you watched that 2003 season you could easily tell that Solich didn't hand over playcalling to Cotton. That was still the same old qb left/qb right/qb middle that he always used.

i think that a lot or it could be that the OC is usually up in the press box and has the ability to see the field in a way that the HC down on the field might not be able to.

even if the HC wants the ultimate responsiblility of calling the plays at least have the OC giving plays to choose from. He can see from above some of the defensive trends.

just a thought

The article in the Omaha paper concerning Watson, hinted very strongly that Watson was going to be in the press box....in fact, Watson was paraphrased as saying he was excited to get "back into the booth" instead of on the field....

i often wonder how much influence the OC really has, especially in our system with cally as HC? guess there is really no way to know?

unless we see some major changes in play calling this year, especially 2nd half play calling. but even then, i don't think we will know for sure how much watson will be really involved in that facet of the game.