Thug Kobe Bryant suspended

ESPN

Kobe suspended tonight vs. Knicks

ESPN.com news services

Kobe Bryant said Tuesday he was "shocked" to receive a one-game suspension for hitting Manu Ginobili in the face on Sunday.

Bryant

Bryant said he unintentionally elbowed Ginobili and felt "terrible" about the play. However, Bryant said he can't believe he was suspended.

"I haven't seen a precedence for this. There's unintentional elbows that take place in a game all the time," Bryant told reporters at Madison Square Garden.

Bryant hit Ginobili while trying to defend a shot with 2.7 seconds remaining.

"I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense," Bryant said.

Bryant's suspension also surprised Lakers coach Phil Jackson.

"I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player," Jackson said.

Bryant was not ejected for the incident and finished with 31 points in the 96-94 loss.

With Bryant suspended, the Lakers will open an eight-game road trip without their leading scorer.

Bryant is averaging 28.4 points, 5.5 assists and 5.4 rebounds.

He probally needs to be punished for what he did, but what gets me, is that James Posey for the Heat has layed out Kirk Hinrich of the bulls on a fastbreak (1 game suspension), shoved Tyrus Thomas into the basket pole after a layup attempt by Thomas (no suspension or fine), and then closelined Luol Deng while he was going up for a layup (one game suspension). I don't think what Kobe did was as bad as what Posey did but the suspension are the same. Either Posey needed a bigger punishment or Kobe needed a lighter one.

• 1 month later...

Punk is at it again:

NBA suspends Kobe for tonight's game vs. BucksBy Chris Sheridan

ESPN.com

The NBA is suspending Lakers guard Kobe Bryant for Wednesday night's game at Milwaukee for catching Minnesota Timberwolves guard Marko Jaric in the face Tuesday night.

Nobody should be surprised that Kobe Bryant drew another one-game suspension for knocking someone else in the nose with his elbow, but the guy on the receiving end of that elbow actually thought the penalty was undeserved. Blog

After getting his shot blocked by Jaric, Bryant flailed his arms and caught Jaric in the face with 58.7 seconds left in regulation Tuesday.

Bryant was called for a foul on the play. Bryant struck San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili in the face in similar fashion with two-tenths of a second left in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 96-94 overtime loss Jan. 28 against the Spurs.

Bryant was not called for a foul on that play, but was suspended for the Lakers' next game.

Bryant was suspended in that incident for what league disciplinarian Stu Jackson called driving "a stiff arm backward."

Jaric said he was surprised that Bryant was suspended.

"I haven't seen the replay, but if you ask me what I thought about the play when it happened, I don't think he did it intentionally, and I don't think players should be suspended for things that happen unintentionally," Jaric told ESPN.com. "I think he was trying to draw a foul, and he swung his hand out to make it look dramatic, and he hit me by accident. He apologized right after."

It is the fifth time that Bryant has been suspended by the NBA.