defense next year

Ok smartasses, my point was that the strong side linebacker usually is the one taking on lead blocks and dealing with the tight end. What I was saying is that more times than not this year I saw Mceon try to outrun the blockers and duck under them rather then take them on and shed the block. I dont see him being able to do that consistently like I can see Dillard. Mceon is a good middle linebacker, and has started there for two years why would they change his position for his senior year. I really dont see Asante moving to linebacker either. When the coaches were telling him where they needed him they were telling him about the safety position. They brought him in here to start next year, not to rotate with all the other linebackers we have. I am not sure which safety but the starters will be green and asante or culbert and asante. Either way asante will be starting at one safety spot next from start to finish next year assuming he stays healthy.

Ok smartasses, my point was that the strong side linebacker usually is the one taking on lead blocks and dealing with the tight end. What I was saying is that more times than not this year I saw Mceon try to outrun the blockers and duck under them rather then take them on and shed the block. I dont see him being able to do that consistently like I can see Dillard. Mceon is a good middle linebacker, and has started there for two years why would they change his position for his senior year. I really dont see Asante moving to linebacker either. When the coaches were telling him where they needed him they were telling him about the safety position. They brought him in here to start next year, not to rotate with all the other linebackers we have. I am not sure which safety but the starters will be green and asante or culbert and asante. Either way asante will be starting at one safety spot next from start to finish next year assuming he stays healthy.

Better to be a "smartass" than a dumbass, I always say.

Better to be a "smartass" than a dumbass, I always say.

:clap:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:clap

Farmer maybe the will move Grixby to DT :sarcasm

:lol: Then move Turner to corner, he might be good a jamming people. Then once you do that you might as well put jones up on the line. He would be one great speed rusher. :sarcasm

But in all seriousness I said if Culbert beefs up he could play linebacker. He is at about 200 now right? You could get him up to 225 at least by fall practice. We need some more dept at the linebacker position as well. But you are right that we need help in the secondary too. I am just throwing out ideas.

Farmer maybe the will move Grixby to DT :sarcasm

:lol: Then move Turner to corner, he might be good a jamming people. Then once you do that you might as well put jones up on the line. He would be one great speed rusher. :sarcasm

But in all seriousness I said if Culbert beefs up he could play linebacker. He is at about 200 now right? You could get him up to 225 at least by fall practice. We need some more dept at the linebacker position as well. But you are right that we need help in the secondary too. I am just throwing out ideas.

Like I said in my previous post I don’t know that they are moving anyone but if they were to want to move Culbert to LB he would not have to add any weight. How soon you guys forget T.Farley and J.Williams(they were both listed at 205 but Williams looked a lot smaller…he was even smaller than M.Booker who was the corner) I would love to see them play Culbert or Asante at LB so then when dumba$$ Cosgrove decides to cover WR with LB we will have the speed and athleticism to do it .

PS… Husker 1 Jamel Williams played SAM LB at “205”lbs… weird

I think it'll be:

SLB: Brandenburg, Dillard

MLB: McKeon, Dillard

WLB: Ruud, Octavian

I could see Brandenburg and Dillard switching around though. I don't think there's any way McKeon isn't the MLB. I wouldn't be too surprised if somebody like Covey or Culbert took Octavian's spot if Octo doesn't have marked improvement in conditioning and attitude.

How soon we forget, in 1995 we had a guy named McBride. He liked to attack and freelance and crush people and gang tackle and be nasty and dirty and mean. He said mano y mano boys . Octo would have been an all american under him.

Today we have a guy named Coz. He likes to say stay in your spot dont go crush someone, dont play with attitude, sorry young man you are the better athlete but this other guy, well he knows his assignments he may not make plays but he is in the right spot.

All i know is the best defenses in america the last 20 years are the ones designed around speed and attitude. gang tackles and mean streaks

the LB will be

Sam Mckeon

Mike Dillard

Will Ruud

atlthough i believe it should be

Sam McKeon

Mike Dillard

Will Octavien

IMO We can continue to add good athletic players but until are defense decides to take on a different attitude we will be middle of the pack.

Hopefully im wrong. this year with Bowman and Murillo at cb with better safeties it will be very INTERESTING to see if our CB still play 15 yards off of the line of scrimmage.

I just dont think we will see any difference because it is coz's way BEND DONT BREAK.

I just dont understand why everyone is saying that mceon will switch to SAM. He has started at MIKE for two years now. There has never been any mention of him moving, there was talk by the coaches last year about getting Dillard some reps at SAM. It is obvious they need to get both of them on the field at the same time so why switch the person that beat out Dillard last year at MIKE. I also dont know what all the talk about switching culbert or asante is about. As stated above they specifically brought them in for the secondary. They dont have a lot of depth at the safety spot either so why would they take people from a position that lacks a lot of depth and put them at a position that lacks a lot of depth. I am sure california husker can tell you the answer.

Funny, we lead the nation in sacks two years ago, the big twelve in blitz percentage this year, and yet travis thinks we are too conservative. Mack Brown said that we actually are one of the few teams who blitz to the point where you cant block everyone we send, where as most teams blitz to eat up bodies and hope you blow an assignment. For those of you who have never played football, which must include travis, EVERY defense ever run past pick up game in grandma's yard level has assignments. Players dont just freelance. They are given a limited set of options, which is even laid out for you by what our coaches call our defensive line positions, which are the three technique base end, the five technique open end, the three technique defensive tackle and the one technique nose tackle. I would call our defense alot of things, but conservative is not one of them.