Can Ganz be THE MAN?

LJS

Ganz ready for QB challenge

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 - 12:05:18 am CST

Joe Ganz

Quarterback Joe Ganz has entered Nebraska’s spring practice season the past two years intent on competing for playing time. However, he has never been in serious competition for the starting job.

“Obviously, the stakes are a little higher now,” Ganz said.

How high? Well, Ganz wants the Nebraska starting position in 2007 “as badly as anything I’ve ever wanted in my life,” he said. “But I can’t focus on all that. I have to focus on being prepared and being consistent and letting the chips fall where they may fall.”

Ganz and transfer Sam Keller will enter spring practice March 21 as the leading candidates to succeed Zac Taylor under center. The Huskers, who had a 9-5 record last year, are set to wrap up their winter conditioning program next week.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Keller, who sat out the 2006 season after transferring from Arizona State last August, is widely regarded as the leading candidate to replace Taylor. After all, Keller left ASU with 3,018 passing yards, including 2,165 in 2005 in seven games as a starter.

Ganz, a 6-1, 200-pound junior from suburban Chicago, appeared in four games as a reserve last year. He completed 7 of 13 passes for 122 yards and three touchdowns. He was Nebraska’s top backup for much of 2005, but did not see game action. He was the team’s offensive scout team player of the year in 2004.

Keller said last week that Ganz has an edge going into spring practice because of his keen knowledge of the offense. “Joe’s a sharp kid,” Keller said. “He can rattle off these plays and get the offense going, and that’s where I need to get.”

Said Ganz: “I think Coach (Bill) Callahan is the only one who’s really mastered our offense, but I know it pretty much inside and out.”

The respect Ganz has earned among teammates also will help his cause. Nebraska coaches have said players like to play for Ganz.

“I have to win over my teammates,” Ganz said. “It’s going to be hard for the coaches not to play the guy who the players get behind.

“But in the long run, you have to perform on the field.”

Ganz has impressed coaches with his proficiency of making plays when the offense breaks down. For instance, Ganz, a star shortstop in high school, is a good scrambler.

Can he make all the necessary throws?

“I wouldn’t have been Zac’s backup last season if the coaches thought I couldn’t make all of the throws,” Ganz said.

In addition to Ganz and Keller, Nebraska’s group of quarterbacks this spring will include junior Beau Davis and incoming recruits Zac Lee and Patrick Witt. However, Lee, a transfer from San Francisco City College, has been slowed by offseason knee surgery.

Most of the attention will be on Keller, a situation Ganz doesn’t mind — he’s used to being in the background.

“It does add a little fuel to the fire,” Ganz said of competing against higher-profile quarterbacks. “But I don’t pay too much attention to who’s getting all of the attention.”

Ganz’s main objective is to ensure Nebraska’s offense continues to improve. The Huskers averaged 414.6 yards last season after averaging 320.3 in 2005.

Ganz hopes he’s the one directing the show come fall.

“I’m happy with my career here,” he said. “But I came here to be the guy (starting at QB), and I really want to be that guy.”

Great attitude considering he's been the guy in 2nd place thus far. I think he'll have his chance obviously to get that spot, but he has to perform better than anyone else out there and have the intangibles. I think he could be our starter, but I just don't see him out performing Sam..................stranger things have happened though.

We've seen what can happen with injuries. I think Keller will win the starters job with ease. But if for some reason Sam has to miss a game Ganz certainly would be the best backup.

The big question is do we want an experienced QB as our starter in 2008? If Ganz doesn't have what it takes to win the starters job from Lee in 08 we should get Lee on the field as our backup as soon as possible. If we end up starting a new QB in 08, one with no experience, it will cost us a couple of games.

1. Keller will start and play all year as the starter, unless he is injuried or something unexpected happens.

2. Ganz will only see mop up duty, if there is any to be had. Having the players behnd you means nothing to Callahan, he will play Keller, with or without his attitude.

3. Beau Davis will play only if there is a nuclear attack and Keller and Ganz do not survive.

We've seen what can happen with injuries. I think Keller will win the starters job with ease. But if for some reason Sam has to miss a game Ganz certainly would be the best backup.

The big question is do we want an experienced QB as our starter in 2008? If Ganz doesn't have what it takes to win the starters job from Lee in 08 we should get Lee on the field as our backup as soon as possible. If we end up starting a new QB in 08, one with no experience, it will cost us a couple of games.

Where are you getting that Ganz won't be able to win the starter job from Lee in 08 and how is that going to dictate who sees playing time in 07? Not being argumentative, just trying to follow your logic.

Better yet, let's see what happens in at least the 07 Spring game before we go looking into 08.

Where are you getting the Ganz won't be able to win the starter job from Lee in 08 and how is that going to dictate who sees playing time in 07? Not being argumentative, just trying to follow your logic.

Better yet, let's see what happens in at least the 07 Spring game before we go looking into 08.

I have seen Ganz first hand in many practices. He will not work. However, I firmly believe these are the type of kids who will make it in the coaching profession. They weren't given the athletic, physical ability, but the only reason they made it this far is because their smart and try so damn hard (i.e. Bill Callahan). But his physical limitations will not allow him to move up or on.

Where are you getting the Ganz won't be able to win the starter job from Lee in 08 and how is that going to dictate who sees playing time in 07? Not being argumentative, just trying to follow your logic.

I have seen Ganz first hand in many practices. He will not work. However, I firmly believe these are the type of kids who will make it in the coaching profession. They weren't given the athletic, physical ability, but the only reason they made it this far is because their smart and try so damn hard (i.e. Bill Callahan). But his physical limitations will not allow him to move up or on.

Well, you have more first hand info than I do but your description brings to mind more than a few stand outs who didn't seem to have it. Take Joe Montana for instance.

Well, you have more first hand info than I do but your description brings to mind more than a few stand outs who didn't seem to have it. Take Joe Montana for instance.

Don't tell me you just compared Joe Ganz to Joe Montana?

I applaud the kid, but I just don't think he has the talent to be truely great.