Shatel's article on Pederson

Let me begin, by saying I think Shatel is an absolute idiot, who really knows pretty little about NU sports, and as an outsider probablly never will.On the other hand, this article, probablly by accident, really showed what Pederson has/is doing to NU sports. I honestly dont think I could be in SP's presence without getting in his face.Hopefully, that is all I'd do,is staighten his sh.. out about a few things.The fact that one man has gotten to a point where he has no accountability, is pretty stunning.He has become a one man hiring and firing czar. WTF, why not allow Joe Husker to at least feel like he's still part of things, by allowing a little access to the everyday part of things.At least by Shatel's account, that isn't happening anywhere else in college football, and nowhere in the State Government of Nebraska. Again, WTF!!!

Did he have a full article? I haven't been able to find it yet. I did find this in the Q&A section:

Published Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom,

Somehow I get the feeling the close knit relationship that the Husker athletic department which includes the A.D. and coaching staff in football had with the fans of Nebraska is not there like it use to be. What has caused this? What do you think?

Rob, That's what I hear. I don't know if there is one reason, but I do hear that fans feel detached from the program. Steve Pederson is not a big people person, but what athletic director is? Bill Byrne wasn't a great speaker, either. Bill Callahan is a good man and he can be a charming speaker, but he would rather coach and watch film.

Then again, Tom Osborne and Frank Solich weren't exactly Bob Hope, either. I think people were disappointed in the transition with the coach, and more money is being charged for tickets and so forth. But I don't know the answer. I know it's true, though. There is that perception.

Wait..

So you're saying if I go back to Lincoln for a Visit, I can't get on the field with my Sons to throw the ball around a little or even run steps anymore?

How about Cook Pavillion?

I've been thinking about Hiking Camelback Mtn to get in better shape so My old Roomate doesn't have to do CPR on me.

Wait..

So you're saying if I go back to Lincoln for a Visit, I can't get on the field with my Sons to throw the ball around a little or even run steps anymore?

People actually did that?

Anyway, it wouldn't be about you wanting to do that. It'd be about the hundreds or even thousands behind you that wanted to do the same thing.

Wait..

Anyway, it wouldn't be about you wanting to do that. It'd be about the hundreds or even thousands behind you that wanted to do the same thing.

You bet they did.

One of my fondest memories is watching my young son running around on TO field. That was more than 10 years ago so I don't know about what goes on now, but then, as we made a routine visit to the now defunct Big Red Shop, we walked across the street and the gates were open and we just walked right down onto the field.

I'm pretty sure that the snipers would get you before you got to the field if you tried that now.

Here's a funny non related story. I grew up in a small Nebraska community pop. 632. As I believe a 7th grader in the early 70's we were all supposed to take hunter safety. Our Voc Ag instructor was the coarse instructor. He requested that everyone bring their gun to school so we could practice safe gun handling.I actually lived in the country, so I rode the 'yellow school bus' everyday. Well the day we were to bring our guns, I walked out to the end of our farm driveway to get on the bus with my Model 12 Winchester 12 gauge pump. When the bus arived, the bus driver opens the door and lets me in, but tells me that I should leave the gun up by him until we get to school.I'm like ya, ok! There were several other boys on the bus, who did the same thing.When we got to school, we were given our guns, and we took them into the Ag room, and left them there till the class later in the day. Then, that afternoon, we took them back home again on the bus. True Story ! Times have changed a bit since then.

Guess what, you used to be able to get on an airplane with a pocket knife, or at least nail clippers! Times change, the world is a scary place and anybody that doesn't see this is living under a rock. Are we safer in Nebraska than in other parts of the world, probably so, but that doesn't mean every building should be open and people should have access to whatever they want. It would be great if this was the case, however that is not reality, times change, things change. It's nice to remember the past, but some people need to stop living in it.

Guess what, you used to be able to get on an airplane with a pocket knife, or at least nail clippers! Times change, the world is a scary place and anybody that doesn't see this is living under a rock. Are we safer in Nebraska than in other parts of the world, probably so, but that doesn't mean every building should be open and people should have access to whatever they want. It would be great if this was the case, however that is not reality, times change, things change. It's nice to remember the past, but some people need to stop living in it.
Oh c'mon!! Can't it be 1994 forever? What about 95? OK fine, 1990 but that's where I draw the line.
Wait..

You bet they did.

One of my fondest memories is watching my young son running around on TO field. That was more than 10 years ago so I don't know about what goes on now, but then, as we made a routine visit to the now defunct Big Red Shop, we walked across the street and the gates were open and we just walked right down onto the field.

I must have missed out on this era. The only time I was on Memorial Field was on our 8th grade trip in the summer of 94. We had a guided tour by Fred Pollack who had gone to the same grade school and high school that I ended up attending. It was awesome, but it was supervised, I know that much.