Nutt gets $1 million for snubbing Nebraska

Fox Sports

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) - It took nearly three years to finalize a $1 million deferred bonus for Razorback football coach Houston Nutt that University of Arkansas officials say he earned by turning down an offer from Nebraska in January 2004, according to university documents.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported Thursday that Fayetteville campus chancellor John White outlined terms of the bonus in a letter last October to Chuck Dicus, president of the Razorback Foundation. A copy of the letter was obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request to the university.

The newspaper said the delay in finalizing the bonus stemmed from the need to make sure it was in line with NCAA rules and that all tax requirements were met.

The bonus is a reward for Nutt's rejection in January 2004 of an offer to become the Cornhuskers' coach after Frank Solich was fired.

The letter says Nutt won't be eligible for the bonus if he leaves Arkansas voluntarily before the end of 2009, or if he violates terms of his contract, such as committing significant and repetitive violations of NCAA rules.

good thing we blew this nutt all over the state of arkansas. we are way better off. look at all the drama they went through this last year.

Not according to the inbred homers that I've seen on other boards. One idiot thinks that Nutt is the second comming of God. {Of course he was riddiculed}

i, or should i say we, aim to please. arkansas makes a big target. no offense AR Husker.

No problem - I happen to live here, but I lived in Omaha first. Once a Husker...well, you get the idea.

The funny thing about this is that even with the record last year, a lot of the fans in Arkansas want him gone, and point to the fact that he's always been a one-dimensional, run-only coach that wins about every five years when they have lines composed of fifth year seniors.

And for that mediocrity he gets a million bucks. Go figure...

i, or should i say we, aim to please. arkansas makes a big target. no offense AR Husker.

No problem - I happen to live here, but I lived in Omaha first. Once a Husker...well, you get the idea.

The funny thing about this is that even with the record last year, a lot of the fans in Arkansas want him gone, and point to the fact that he's always been a one-dimensional, run-only coach that wins about every five years when they have lines composed of fifth year seniors.

Wasn't he going into his 8th year as HC in 04 when he snubbed Nebraska? He had been there quite a while, and they didn't even make a bowl game in 2004. I've always wondered what the infatuation was with the guy any how. Until last year, he really has been an underachiever especially for a HC who's been at the same school for I believe 10 seasons. Not to mention, didn't he get completely throttled in 06 by USC? He's never been the kind of coach I want to see around here.

[Wasn't he going into his 8th year as HC in 04 when he snubbed Nebraska? He had been there quite a while, and they didn't even make a bowl game in 2004. I've always wondered what the infatuation was with the guy any how. Until last year, he really has been an underachiever especially for a HC who's been at the same school for I believe 10 seasons. Not to mention, didn't he get completely throttled in 06 by USC? He's never been the kind of coach I want to see around here.]

:yeah

GBR!!!

Wasn't he going into his 8th year as HC in 04 when he snubbed Nebraska? He had been there quite a while, and they didn't even make a bowl game in 2004. I've always wondered what the infatuation was with the guy any how. Until last year, he really has been an underachiever especially for a HC who's been at the same school for I believe 10 seasons. Not to mention, didn't he get completely throttled in 06 by USC? He's never been the kind of coach I want to see around here.

Exactly right. When he first went to Arkansas, he stumbled into a great situation - a bunch of seniors, a big, experienced line, and a quarterback that loved to check out to a pass. A friend of mine had a son who was a tackle for Arkansas at the time and provided a lot of inside information. That quarterback - Clint Stoener - led the Razorbacks to an 8-0 record. They lost to Tennessee in the final seconds, won the rest of their games, and went to a Florida BCS bowl.

After that, it's been all downhill. Nutt is supposed to be a tireless recruiter, and he is, but he generally pulls in medicore classes. Every once in a while Arkansas will have a Darren McFadden come along - but when it doesn't, which is most years, Nutt's classes are pretty sad. And the record reflects it...