DBs this season

I think it hurts, once again. There are some more bodies to throw in there this year. The corner has lots of possibilities; Grixby, Jones, Murillo, Thenarse, West, Corey Young, and then there are the new comers. I think the secondary will be better than last year still, but losing a guy with the ability of Bowman is a blow.

The biggest problem we have is not that we have a ton of bodies that seemingly can rotate in and out. Its that they are young guys. That is wonderful for the future but this year still may be a little shaky. I guess call me the eternal optimist but we haven't lost Bowman yet. He is out, but judging by the desire of this kid definitely not out.

This sucks dont get me wrong, but it is not the end of the world. I think they will move Thenarse back to corner now that we have Asante back there. That will give us four very able bodies there. However for the first few games maybe, we will not have a true number one corner. We wont have that true shut down corner. I am really hoping he is able to play for the usc game bc without him I dont think we can stop all of their big receivers. But on the bright side Jones has another year and offseason under his belt and will be a lot better IMO, we added Murillo who will be a lot better come fall, Thenarse has added probably 15 pounds of muscle and has a better understanding of the game, and Grixby is still not bad. Worst case, Bowman will be back just in time for our long, tough stretch. It sucks, but he will be back, maybe in time for the start of the season, who knows?

Not only does this affect the secondary...it messes up the whole defensive scheme. 2 years ago Carriker and McKeon were running loose in the backfield because there was decent coverage. Last year...and likely this year...the D-line and LB's will be in more of a stop/contain/coverage role to help cover the lacking secondary.

I wish we could sure up the entire secondary so the dogs could run loose in the yard again.

The loss of Bowman for awhile hurts, but we are still better than we were last fall when Bowman went down. Murrillo at least gives us a third corner back. He may not have DI experience but he has experience playing corner against better than high school competition. Plus, we have quite a few safeties that have experience and I think we all can agree that Green, Asante, and Thenarse project as a better trio of safeties than Shanle, Green, and Wilson did last year.

It would be nice to have Bowman back and at 100% by the USC game but it is probally more important to have him back and 100% for conference play than rush him back early just for USC.

The loss of Bowman for awhile hurts, but we are still better than we were last fall when Bowman went down. Murrillo at least gives us a third corner back. He may not have DI experience but he has experience playing corner against better than high school competition. Plus, we have quite a few safeties that have experience and I think we all can agree that Green, Asante, and Thenarse project as a better trio of safeties than Shanle, Green, and Wilson did last year.

It would be nice to have Bowman back and at 100% by the USC game but it is probally more important to have him back and 100% for conference play than rush him back early just for USC.

I agree, and we are in much better shape this season because Bowman missed last year. Plus we have six months for the coaches to figure this our. Last season Bowman's injury came right before the season started. I'd certainly rather have Bowman back now, especially sense he really wasn't 100%, but things really are not that dire. Hopefully the new guys will get in and get some experience before conference play. It doesn't do any good to have all this depth if all it ever does is sit on the bench.

Huge...bold....realistic prediction....

We won't see Bowman with a red 'N' on his helmet again.

If he plays the season and plays well...he will still be a 2nd day pick. NFL will still be very concerned about back to back knees. Worse case, he comes back before he's ready...or even if he IS ready and suffers another injury. Nobody would take him then.

Like I saw on another thread....his best bet is to hang up the red jersey, rehab his ass off and blow everyone away at the combines and still be a 2nd day pick without the beating this season.

I would love to see him back full force for the entire season...but if he's the NFL talent that they've been saying since his "one and done" beginning, why risk it?

I think Murrrillo and Asante are going to surprise a lot of people.

The are both in for spring ball.

We should still be measurably better than last season but our non conference is brutal and we will get nicked up before conference play.

I agree not to rush Bowman either. We need him in conference play badly.