Ranking Big XII coaches

Ranking the Big 12 coaches

April 3, 2007

1. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma. Last season was his best coaching job yet -- and he didn't win a national championship. Stoops has done a masterful job of restoring the luster to one of American's greatest programs. Building good staffs has been key, as Stoops has spawned head coaches Mike Leach, Mark Mangino, Mike Stoops and Chuck Long. Kevin Sumlin and Brent Venables are next.

2. Mack Brown, Texas. The stately Brown is the quintessential CEO head coach who entrusts his assistants to do their job. He and USC's Pete Carroll are the nation's best recruiters. But there's more pressure in Austin than Los Angeles. And you never see Brown sweat in a job that can cause a coach to cave.

3. Bill Callahan, Nebraska. Give him kudos for daring to change the culture in option-football mad Lincoln. It hasn't gone smoothly, but Callahan has the Huskers poised for a breakthrough. No one knows the game better than Callahan, the only Big 12 boss who has coached a Super Bowl team.

4. Mike Leach, Texas Tech. Yeah, he's crazy -- crazy smart. College football's Mad Scientist, Leach's fast-twitch mind has made Tech a program that matters. And he's done it with a dizzying array of Xs and Os that many thought couldn't lead to big success. Ha.

5. Mark Mangino, Kansas. Few know how to build a better offense than Mangino, who's one of the nation's most underrated coaches. The Jayhawk big boss is a demanding coach who has paid his dues and proven he can win with less-than-stellar talent at a place that's not football crazy.

6. Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M. He's the ultimate climb-the-ladder coach, having proven himself along stops at Pittsburg State, Southwest Texas State, New Mexico, TCU and Alabama. Coach Fran is too good not to succeed in Aggieland.

7. Dan Hawkins, Colorado. Last year's 2-10 mark was out of character for a coach who helped build the Boise State mystique. Hawkins is a Zen master, but he's also a hard-nosed coach whose track record and skills suggest success in Boulder is looming.

8. Gary Pinkel, Missouri. No, Pinkel hasn't gotten over the proverbial hump in Columbia, but he has developed a consistently solid program that appears poised for a breakthrough. And that's saying something for what was one of the nation's most dysfunctional squads.

9. Guy Morriss, Baylor. A classic good ol' boy, Morriss is a perfect fit for Waco. Give him credit for embracing change to charge up the program, as the installation of a Texas Tech-style offense promises excitement and potential success. Just give Morriss time.

10. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State. Don't look now, but this may be the fastest-rising program in the nation. Gundy gets much of the credit for continuing the fine work Les Miles started. The secret to Gundy's success has been building a good staff and recruiting.

11. Ron Prince, Kansas State. He was a surprise hire who had surprising success in his debut last season. But large staff turnover after his rookie season has caused some to raise their eyebrows. And every big win he had last year was countered with a dubious loss. At least he's following through on his vow to toughen the non-league schedule.

12. Gene Chizik, Iowa State. Yeah, the Cyclones are gambling on Chizik, but it's a gamble worth taking. He has the background and pedigree that point toward success. But building good defenses at Auburn and Texas is much easier than building a good program at Iowa State, which is one of the most difficult BCS jobs. Is Chizik equipped to work in less-than-ideal circumstances?

sn

I have to disagree with these rankings,

Ron Prince at 11 looked what he did in one year and Chizik at 12 he hasn't had any time to prove himself I think he is a great coach. He could have gone other places but he didin't wait. I have heard that Bama was even thinking about offering him the job before he took the ISU job.

Hawkins and Mangino above Gundy and Pinkel this guy has to be on crack

Chizik at 12? I know he's unproven, but doesn't his resume count for something? Also, Mack Brown has a good program, but how much 'coaching' does he really do? Seems to me it's a Bobby Bowden situation, where he's the face of the program, but has other personel taking care of the X's and O's.

Any coach from Colorado should automatically be #12 for the simple fact that I don't like them. :corndance

Chizik at 12? I know he's unproven, but doesn't his resume count for something? Also, Mack Brown has a good program, but how much 'coaching' does he really do? Seems to me it's a Bobby Bowden situation, where he's the face of the program, but has other personel taking care of the X's and O's.

Any coach from Colorado should automatically be #12 for the simple fact that I don't like them. :corndance

Considering the poll is about "Big 12 coaches" and he hasnt' coached a game in the Big 12 yet, it's kind of hard to tell how good of a coach he is in the Big 12.

The poll can't be right anyway. Callahan is the worst coach EVAR!!11. Benard told me so.

whats all this chizik at 12 talk? you seriously think he should be higher on this list? isnt this his first head coaching job? All he ever did at texas and auburn was d-c duties. and that is supposed to automatically certify head coaching success?

id say this list is pretty accurate. but in my opinion Gundy should be moved up a spot or two.. he is building something down there in mobilehoma, they are on the rise.

whats all this chizik at 12 talk? you seriously think he should be higher on this list? isnt this his first head coaching job? All he ever did at texas and auburn was d-c duties. and that is supposed to automatically certify head coaching success?

id say this list is pretty accurate. but in my opinion Gundy should be moved up a spot or two.. he is building something down there in mobilehoma, they are on the rise.

If this list is based on head coaching success, Chizik should be left off all together then. I think he's going to suprise a lot of people. That program in Ames is taking big steps to become an annual contender in the Big 12 North.