Ranking Big XII coaches

Never said I didn't believe you, just figured with your hatred of well, just about everything Husker that you'd have it documented somehow. In a dark, dank basement somewhere.

Yup, the old "reality" arguement. You got me nailed bud, good job. :thumbs I guess reality is being two faced like your boy Kevin.

i'm not sure where you got most of your post but i know that i'm as much of a husker fan as any normal native nebraskan. seriously, being as fascinated with these 16-24 year old boys as a lot of you are is ice cream man/priest creepy.

put away the dungeons and dragons and get a life.

Correct me if Im wrong but Stoopes has gotten to the big game several times.....how often has he won them? Out of curiousity what is his bowl game record? Not saying Callahan is necessarily better but I would hold off on crowning Stoopes a "god" until he can win the big game (something Callahan can't do either)

stoops has won the big one and he owns callahan. he has a ring and multiple big 12 titles. callahan can't hold his lunchbox.

Ok if you will take a moment to read the whole post I am not comparing the man to Callahan. I am simply saying he has flaws like the rest of the coaches. But, if you want to get into what you have said about Callahan, if im not mistaken isn't Callahan 2-1 versus Mangino? I am a big Mangino fan but he hardly "owns" callahan and cosgrove. Prince has done alot as well. However when he would get a big win he would also get a big loss. Didn't he also lose to Callahan?

So apparantely how good of a coach you are has to do with how you do against Callahan. Gotcha.

honestly, Stoops has shown me more coaching ability and game planning success than cally has, up until this point. not saying cally can't surpass him, but he just hasn't shown me near as much as Stoops has so far. Stoops has out recruited him too, just my opinion and this facet of coaching may change down the road as well. ( helps when you have a car dealer writing checks monthly as well)....lol

Correct me if Im wrong but Stoopes has gotten to the big game several times.....how often has he won them? Out of curiousity what is his bowl game record? Not saying Callahan is necessarily better but I would hold off on crowning Stoopes a "god" until he can win the big game (something Callahan can't do either)

stoops has won the big one and he owns callahan. he has a ring and multiple big 12 titles. callahan can't hold his lunchbox.

Not only that, Callahan needs to play dumb when his kids bring home boatloads of cash when working for a car dealership...... :o

Stoops does a good job coaching, but he also has a deeper talent pool. Mack Brown is the perfect example of this. Talent helps make the coaches look better. The teams lower down the list have lower talent levels. Callahan has at least matched Stoops in recruiting the last couple years, we are nowgetting there depth wise. Having glaring weeknesses in parts of the teams(like our secondary last season) makes the coach look bad. With competent secondary play last year we probly win 1-2 more games at least, and quite possiibly the Big 12. Afterall, we had the Sooner's player of the game.

There is no doubt that Stoops, and Brown have WAY more talent then Callahan. We all know that Callahan is terrible at making in game adjustments and changing game strategies. There is something to be said for the future. Even Mack Brown has said we are a team on the rise. Lets let the year play out and see how the rankings shape up. All this crap in preseason is just filler until the season. Anyone happen to catch the OU spring game today?

Never said I didn't believe you, just figured with your hatred of well, just about everything Husker that you'd have it documented somehow. In a dark, dank basement somewhere.

Yup, the old "reality" arguement. You got me nailed bud, good job. :thumbs I guess reality is being two faced like your boy Kevin.

i'm not sure where you got most of your post but i know that i'm as much of a husker fan as any normal native nebraskan. seriously, being as fascinated with these 16-24 year old boys as a lot of you are is ice cream man/priest creepy.

put away the dungeons and dragons and get a life.

Your on the same site the rest of us are so if you don't like it don't log in!!!! :asshat

Your on the same site the rest of us are so if you don't like it don't log in!!!!

:yeah

I actually think that the rankings are fairly decent. But, they're subjective and open to debate, which is why I feel that this is just a fun post to read (minus the personal attacks).

I noticed that some posters felt that Prince should have been rated higher; and, though every ounce of me wants to say that he deserves that ranking because I can't stand him, I would relunctantly agree with them. A lot of people, myself included, thought that KSU would finish at or near the bottom of the B12 North. Despite alienating many of his players and coaches, he coached the team to a respectable record and had a big win over Texas to boot. For some reason, I don't think that he will be so "lucky" this year - but that is probably more wishful thinking.

Mack Brown gets a lot of crap for recruiting well, but not being able to win big games. I've heard people arguing that his "big" win over USC to earn the national title was a flute because Vince Young was the difference in that game. I don't understand that argument because a good coach will find a way to get his best players opportunities to score points - which he did that year. This past year, Texas wasn't as good, but I think that Brown will get his chance for another title before McCoy graduates or enters the draft.

In terms of Callahan, I think that he should be ranked high. What did people expect when he changed a run-oriented offence to the WCO. Of course, the transition would be rough. He has done a remarkable job in recruiting players for his system. Last year, you could see his system working. The players didn't seem confused. There was unity. The offense looked like a well-oiled machine - most of the time. I am optimistic that Callahan will soon be reaping the fruits of his labor by having a consensus top 10 team by the end of next year.

Hawkins, I feel is overrated in this ranking. I know that transitions are tough, but losing to a non-DI team is embarrassing and smacks of poor coaching. There is just no excuse for it.

Peace, ya'll!

wow, not sure what "well-oiled" offense you saw last year, especially in the second half of most games, but the one i saw looked confused and incapable of mounting any sustainable drives or "finish". cally has done a lot of good things, but it is painfully evident he can't get a team to perform through 4 quarters of football and until he gets over this issue he deserves a very conservative ranking. for a guy who knows X's and O's so well, he sure struggles in putting together a complete game and i don't want to hear that the kids are to blame, cause that is crap!

That mid game adjustment argument is crap. in 2005, we started slow and out of sorts, but came on hard in the second half. OU and texas plaed several games last year where they had horrible offensive or defensive issues. But generally managed to get away with it with the athletes who could take over games. Most college teams dont manage to play 4 full quarters every week at thier best.

People call Callahan an idiot because we had 3rd quarter issues. Did these same people watch Texas and OU play last year? OU had so many games that amounted to see which team could get more 3 and outs. Or see if they can win with the QB throwing less than 20 times. Texas got beat by K-state. K-state, i can repeat that again. Freeman threw half of his TDs for the season vs Texas.

Last year NU was 5th in the NCAA in ToP with 32:41. You are not doing that with 3 and outs. 17th in 3rd down conversion percentagewith 45.1%. 14th in total yards. 17th in scoring offense. 13th in passing efficiency.

stats are from the NCAA website

College coaches should be judged on three criteria, and I list them from most important to least important as far as judging them as coaches.

1.) On the field Performance, does their team win games?

2.) Recruiting, If they arent winning games yet, are they bringing in the talent to do so? This includes hiring coaches.

3.) Character, are they recruiting good people, do they graduate their players? do they recruit honestly and fairly?

Why are Prince and Chizik on the bottom of this list despite Prince winning games and Chizik having a teriffic pedigree? Simply put, Chizik has done squat as a head coach, so rating him above any head coach in the big twelve is just plain stupid. Prince has done well on number 1, but there are serious questions as to his ability to retain coaches/personnel, and he has not proven he can recruit. As for Stoops, the man can obviously coach. He wins games, even when his talent may not be as good as the other teams. He can obviously recruit somewhat well. There is however a serious question about his character, and Im not going to put him up on a pedastal and crown him the class of the big twelve until the investigations are over.

wow, not sure what "well-oiled" offense you saw last year, especially in the second half of most games, but the one i saw looked confused and incapable of mounting any sustainable drives or "finish".

I said "most of the time", meaning that there were times when the offense struggled - as almost every offense does. But compared to previous years when there were countless mistakes, procedure calls, numerous offsides, etc. , there was a remarkable improvement. I thought, and you may disagree, that the offense actually flowed with some consistency.

I agree that the offense struggled in the second half of games- that is pretty obvious. But the drift of my post is that I felt that the players were now settling into the system and that you could see the results on the field.