Nice option

NU football notes: Senior Octavien sees time at rush end

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 - 11:38:40 pm CDT

Nebraska coaches continue to test players at various defensive positions.

For instance, weakside linebacker Steve Octavien is getting some work as a defensive end when Nebraska switches from its base 4-3 alignment into a 3-4 look, said quarterback Joe Ganz.

“Steve’s been causing a couple of problems because he’s real fast and he’s a big kid physically,” Ganz said of the 6-foot, 240-pound Octavien, a senior from Naples, Fla.

Octavien became the projected starter at weakside linebacker before spring practice when fellow senior Bo Ruud moved to strongside linebacker. Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove also is mixing and matching players along the defensive line and in the secondary to get the best defenders on the field, he said.

Advertisement

INJURY REPORT: I-back Cody Glenn, slowed since mid-November by a right foot injury, had a toe stepped on Friday during a pass-protection drill. Nevertheless, the 6-foot, 230-pound junior took part in Saturday’s scrimmage. “He bruised the toe but toughed it out today,” Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan said. “He got a lot of work in, which is really good for a guy who shows his toughness and want-to, his ability to get in and play and help out his team. We really appreciate that.” Meanwhile, strong safety Larry Asante, slowed the past few days by a hamstring injury, also took part in the scrimmage. However, freshman I-back Marcus Mendoza (hamstring) was held out.

ON THE RUN: Husker quarterback Sam Keller said the running game was “huge” Saturday. “Cody and Marlon (Lucky) and Major (Culbert) really looked like they were getting to the second and third level (of the defense) and making guys miss, so that’s exciting to see,” Keller said. Glenn and Lucky are the only two experienced I-backs in spring camp. Culbert is a converted safety. “Just watching from the sideline, I saw Major break through and make some things happen,” Keller said. “It’s good for Major. He needs to get some long runs and build some confidence, because now he’s in there with us.” Keller said the scrimmage was “very competitive. The ‘D’ made some plays, the offense made some plays.”

BIG BLOCKERS: Ganz marvels at the size of Nebraska’s first-string offensive line, which includes 6-5, 330-pound Carl Nicks, 6-5, 340-pound Matt Slauson and 6-7, 305-pound Lydon Murtha. “My freshman year, they weren’t that big,” Ganz said. “I mean, I thought they were big because I was coming out of high school. But now I look at how big these guys are. ... Now, we’ve got Slauson and those guys blocking out the sun.”

— Steven M. Sipple

Interesting way of getting Ruud, Octavien, Dillard and McKeon out there at the same time. Demorrio got some more PT as a rush end and it made him a dangerous player.

Indeed it did. He knocked Qb's right on their butts from their blindside before they knew what hit them. Octavien is probably as fast as Demorrio too...but he's also heavier than Demorrio when he was here. Octavien can hit. I'm looking forward to Steve making the big plays next season. Lets all hope he stays healthy to do so.

When they say he is getting looks at DE in the 3-4, does that mean that he is one of the three lineman with four other linebackers. Or is he the linebacker that rushes the passes out of the 3-4?

There's no way Octo is a DE in the 3-4 scheme. He's most likely on OLB who's rushing from a 3-point stance.

When they say he is getting looks at DE in the 3-4, does that mean that he is one of the three lineman with four other linebackers. Or is he the linebacker that rushes the passes out of the 3-4?

There's no way Octo is a DE in the 3-4 scheme. He's most likely on OLB who's rushing from a 3-point stance.

:yeah