2008 Schedule

Man,

How about one less creampuff, one more rest week given NU's penchant for injuries?

:yeah

At first look the schedule doesn't look all that impressive. However, having VT makes up for the others. San Joses State usually has a very good football team every four years so 2008 sounds about right. In 2005 they pushed us. I am not that familiar with NMS. Those qb and receiver stats do sound good for sophs, regardless of the competion. That W. Michigan thing is lame, but if the Big 10 guys get credit for whupping up on them, so should you. Overall, having VT on the schedule legitimizes everything else. Very few big programs want to go out of conference and play someone on that level. Congratulations on that contract. I wish we would be playing you more than these two games. It could be a great annual game between big time programs. I don't mean every year, but not every 50 years like it is now. Bottom line, from my point of view your 08 schedule with VaTech looks better than a lot of the other big name programs out there (not to mention names but they tend to be in the Big Ten).

TarheelTrojan

I think this is indicative of what every team does now. Instead of getting a 1-AA, get a solid WAC team or something similar that is still a for-sure victory. Then get one big name (USC this year, Va Tech the next) to play a home-and-home, and then you play the conference. It's unrealistic to load up on power players in the non-conference schedule cause it's tough enough getting through the Big 12 unscathed, you don't want two losses in non-conference games and kill your season before it gets started.

Western Michigan, a Mid-American Conference squad, was 8-5 last season. The Broncos and Huskers would be meeting for the first time.

whaaaaat? ohio wasn't available..?

I thought they were trying to put a series together with Ohio.St a few years back. What happened ?

GBR!!!

not these guys...

720104900_T.JPG

tho i would welcome them. they're good and if you want to cut teeth with the BSC, they're the ones to beat. however, i was talking about these guys...

33-49466-P.jpg

... coached by this guy...

71q07l61.JPG

why?

cause huskernation doesn't have enough DRAMA already!

Man..I'd love to see us play OSU...

But then..Buckeye37 would probably make me sleep on the couch...Heck..I do that anyway on a weekly basis.

too many cream puffs, NMS, wow, scarey!

Don't count on New Mexico State being some pansy squad.

Chase Holbrook is an OUTSTANDING quarterback. As a sophmore, he had these stats ...

396-566, 70% completion, 4619 yards, 34 TDs 9 INTs

... I repeat, as a SOPHMORE. Doesn't matter the offense, no QB should be putting up those kinda stats at a young age.

Also, they have a sophmore receiver named Chris Williams who thrives in that offense.

92 catches, 1425 yards (15.5 YPC), 12 TDs

For sophmores, those will be some weapons we will have to deal with as seniors when we play the Aggies.

Agreed. Their coach Hal Mumme is easily one of the best offensive coaches in the game today. Leach at Tech is innovative because he had been an assistant under Mumme years ago.

LOL

Hunter has no rebuttal, so he throws me in with the 'we will beat USC' crowd.

If you have read through this forum, I have said we will have to play possibly the best game we can to beat USC. They are simply that talented and that good this year. It's almost scary the talent they return, and even more scary the talent they are replacing their graduates with.

Should we beat the Aggies? OF COURSE! But to blow them off as some game in which we will roll is far from the truth, especially with the offensive talent they will have when we play them next year.

big willie, to be honest i didn't even pay attention to your specific post, just saying there are a lot of trumpet guys here who say we will beat USC and then turn around and worry about Missouri, Okie State or NMS.

it just seems a little strange, does it not?? nothing to be embarassed about losing to USC or even Texas for that matter, but we better shape up and start winning the rest of the Big 12 games if we ever hope to be a force again, that is all i am saying. no way to be a BCS team if we can't get those wins. and NO ONE is saying we will roll over NMS, hell we will have to play well to beat every team we play, as we just don't dominate anymore.

however, having said all that, there is no reason to believe this team can't improve either. only time will tell.

hell we will have to play well to beat every team we play, as we just don't dominate anymore.

Nobody "dominates" people anymore like we used to. I think that's some of the problem with the fan base (nobody here in particular, just in general). A lot of people are thinking "well we dominated in 95, why the heck can't we now/again."

The fact is, teams just don't "dominate" anymore. Look at the top tier teams right now:

USC - lost to both Oregon State and UCLA last year; beat Washington (5-7) by 6.

Florida - lost to Auburn by 10 (the same Auburn we lost to by 3) as well as only beating the juggernaut Vanderbilt (4-8) by 6.

Ohio State - blown out by Florida in the NC game; beat Illinois (2-10) by 7.

College football isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago. Times have changed, nobody "dominates" anymore and to expect teams to is just unrealistic.

hell we will have to play well to beat every team we play, as we just don't dominate anymore.

Nobody "dominates" people anymore like we used to. I think that's some of the problem with the fan base (nobody here in particular, just in general). A lot of people are thinking "well we dominated in 95, why the heck can't we now/again."

The fact is, teams just don't "dominate" anymore. Look at the top tier teams right now:

USC - lost to both Oregon State and UCLA last year; beat Washington (5-7) by 6.

Florida - lost to Auburn by 10 (the same Auburn we lost to by 3) as well as only beating the juggernaut Vanderbilt (4-8) by 6.

Ohio State - blown out by Florida in the NC game; beat Illinois (2-10) by 7.

College football isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago. Times have changed, nobody "dominates" anymore and to expect teams to is just unrealistic.

well said, i agree, goes for the whole college scene, lots of parity now.