defensive staff

Quality post by the way...

So, we spend the next couple of years going 7-4, then we see the recruits that Callahan has brought in.  If that doesn't work, then what?  We've essentially blown 2 or 3 years.  Will SP stay with Callahan, since he's got the "big name"? 

I guess what it boils down to, is the fact that I keep asking the question, "was all this really necessary"?

I'm not trying to be a "stick in the mud", but just trying to play devil's advocate.

yes he will stick to him because they are butt buddies. Pederson knows if he don't work he's screwed because he ruined everything for him.

JV. That never get's old does it?

I personally think the installing of the WCO wasn't necessary in the least. If anything it's to stoke his own ego. It's like he's doing this to prove something. He's going to shoot this program in the ass, to inflate his own ego.

I think he's a selfish bastard, but that's just me.

Another thing, when we were running the option, we didn't have to worry about recruiting recievers. All we were worried about were running backs, quarter backs, offensive linemen, and tight ends. Our recievers didn't have to be blue chip prospects.

See, why are you going to make things harder than they already need to be. Callahan's an ego maniac...

I personally think the installing of the WCO wasn't necessary in the least. If anything it's to stoke his own ego. It's like he's doing this to prove something. He's going to shoot this program in the ass, to inflate his own ego.

I think he's a selfish bastard, but that's just me.

Another thing, when we were running the option, we didn't have to worry about recruiting recievers. All we were worried about were running backs, quarter backs, offensive linemen, and tight ends. Our recievers didn't have to be blue chip prospects.

See, why are you going to make things harder than they already need to be. Callahan's an ego maniac...

I don't follow the logic. He's going to inflate his ego - which usually comes from recognition of one's sucess - by running an offense doomed to failure?

You may well be right about his ego - haven't met him. But more than likely he eschewed the option in favor of the West Coast offense not because of ego but because:

1. It's the offense with which he is most comfortable and familiar, having coached it for so many years; and,

2. Whether right or wrong, he felt that he could recruit to that offense at Nebraska.

Quality post by the way...

So, we spend the next couple of years going 7-4, then we see the recruits that Callahan has brought in.  If that doesn't work, then what?  We've essentially blown 2 or 3 years.  Will SP stay with Callahan, since he's got the "big name"? 

I guess what it boils down to, is the fact that I keep asking the question, "was all this really necessary"?

I'm not trying to be a "stick in the mud", but just trying to play devil's advocate.

No, I understand. While it may appear to the contrary, I'm not an apologist for either Callahan or Pederson, and I suspect that neither is anyone else. I can see a potential upside for going with the West Coast offense, and I see at least one logical reason for firing Solich.

My personal opinion is that Solich was fired because Pederson felt that Solich was not recruiting well enough - no other real reason. Certainly, it couldn't have been Solich's record.

If that's correct, then I suspect that Pederson will give Callahan at least three or four years provided Callahan's recruiting classes are high ranking. I think that will be the primary consideration for Pederson.

If, however, the recruiting is less than stellar, I could see Pederson getting rid of Callahan next year.

Again, simply my take on things.

More interesting was your question of whether the change was necessary. In my heart, I want to say, "No". I love the option and power football, Solich had a good record - on the face of it, why change?

When I look at it intellectually, I can see the concern. With the way Oklahoma and Texas have been recruiting, coupled with what looked like some in-roads by Missouri, and Colorado's practices, recruiting has to be a top concern for the staff. I don't think Solich and his staff were the best recruiters. And with the option, we need the best recruits - we need to be physically superior to run it.

Now, again, Callahan may not be the guy. He may be a great recruiter, and a lousy coach. I just can't tell - he seemed to do well as a college and pro assistant. Does that translate to a good head coach? Only time will tell.

The long and the short of it is that we are going to have the West Coast offense for the next few years, at least.

Callahan has had a class that is highly rated? When did this happen. Last year he didn't get a high recruiting class and this year is only in to the second month of the season. The actual recruiting season doesn't start until after the season. You should wait until signing day before you go out say that this year is a good class. USC and Miami will certainly catch us and pass us on the list. I don't think that the 13 players that we have verbals from right now would rate us to high on the recruiting rankings.

Callahan has had a class that is highly rated? When did this happen. Last year he didn't get a high recruiting class and this year is only in to the second month of the season. The actual recruiting season doesn't start until after the season. You should wait until signing day before you go out say that this year is a good class. USC and Miami will certainly catch us and pass us on the list. I don't think that the 13 players that we have verbals from right now would rate us to high on the recruiting rankings.

I'm not following you. I never said Callahan had a great recruiting class the first time around. Nor have I said what the quality of the class will be this year - for the simple reason no one is signed.

What I said is that he will get three or four years, easily, provided he has highly ranked classes. If he doesn't, then I could see him out the door by the end of next season if we don't have a good year on the field in 2005 - or in that year's recruiting class.

about the recruiting thing...

All remember hearing is about how great of a recruiter Callahan was, and how his staff were excellent recruiters.

Granted he didn't have the full amount of time to recruit, but you might be able to sell sand to arabs, if the program sucks, your gonna catch hell trying to get steven hawking to play for us...

I'm not following you. I never said Callahan had a great recruiting class the first time around. Nor have I said what the quality of the class will be this year - for the simple reason no one is signed.

What I said is that he will get three or four years, easily, provided he has highly ranked classes. If he doesn't, then I could see him out the door by the end of next season if we don't have a good year on the field in 2005 - or in that year's recruiting class.

Rivals right noe has us in the top ten. We certainly have a great opportunity to get more highly "rated" payers. Although we all know that doesn't always turn in to great teams.

about the recruiting thing...

All remember hearing is about how great of a recruiter Callahan was, and how his staff were excellent recruiters.

Granted he didn't have the full amount of time to recruit, but you might be able to sell sand to arabs, if the program sucks, your gonna catch hell trying to get steven hawking to play for us...

No recruit has shyed away from NU because of the way this season has progressed.They understand that they will have the oportunity to come in a might be able to play immediately and try to bring this program to dominance with this staff. Only an idiot would say "They suck, I don't wanna play for them". Why? Because they and them are the PLAYERS.

I can understand if a player just doesn't like the coaching staff, but that is nothing new in recruiting.

anyone that wen to the game or saw video know if our staff called a better game than at Tech? were we blitzing at all? im still concerned about the lacadascial apporach after half ever friggin game. someone needs to drop the hammer or needle or WTF ever to get them jacked back up b/c this is going to lose games for us. several more games if we dont get our shat together.

anyone that wen to the game or saw video know if our staff called a better game than at Tech? were we blitzing at all? im still concerned about the lacadascial apporach after half ever friggin game. someone needs to drop the hammer or needle or WTF ever to get them jacked back up b/c this is going to lose games for us. several more games if we dont get our shat together.

Yea. That pretty much sums it up right there.

For what it's worth, I heard an interview of a guy (sorry can't remember his name) who has written a book about the college football experience. He "hung" out with some D-1 teams like LSU to get an inside look. He stated that half time doesn't really have any emotion. The players break off with their position coaches and go over ah-hem, dare I say "adjustments". The atmosphere is really business like. Maybe there should be some emotion, that is one thing that used to get to me about T.O. who rarely showed any emotion, but it obviously worked for him in the long run. However, I have to believe that BO must have been pretty animated in the locker room at times. It's all about "chemistry", I think BO probably had more of a "fellow teamate" relationship with this "D" and Coz has more of a "father figure" relationship, but I don't think it should matter. IMO if you are NEBRASKA CORNHUSKER FOOTBALL PLAYER and you NEED your coach to get you "fired up", your playing the wrong sport for the wrong team!