Nebrask Dominance over Kansas

Kansas has played an annual game with the Nebraska Cornhuskers since 1905. This gives Kansas the second- and third-most played college football games in existence.

KU is only 22-88-3 all-time against the Cornhuskers (as of 2006), and from 1969-2004 the Huskers rang up 36 consecutive victories, second longest in NCAA Division I (only Notre Dame's streak over Navy is longer).

That streak came crashing down on November 5, 2005, when Kansas defeated Nebraska 40-15 in Lawrence. The 40 points are the most by the Jayhawks against Nebraska, and the 72 points scored by the Jayhawks in 2005 and 2006 combined is the largest consecutive two-year total in the series.

In the overtime loss on September 30, 2006, the 32 points scored was the most by any Jayhawk team in Lincoln since 1899, when KU won 36-20 in only their eighth all-time meeting.[1]

The overall dominance of the huskers against a range of Big-8 teams during the Osborne era will likely never occur again in any conference.

1. The streak noted against Kansas, going back to Devaney's time.

2. The similar streak against Kansas State, that ended in 1998.

3. The undefeated streak against Oklahoma State from 1962.

4. The win streak against Missouri from 1978.

Combined, at the time of Osborne's resignation after the 1997 season, those 4 streaks, all in tact, made Osborne 136-10-2 against 6 Big eight opponents (OU excluded, against whom he was 13-13).

That's a .926 win pct.

Not shabby.

I also think that colleges are catching up to each other....somewhat. The talent base is different than it was 10-20 years ago. There will never be streaks like that again IMO.

Schools have always had to catch up with each other. But the juggernaut that was the Huskers from 1993-1997 (60-3) won't be matched again, at least in Nebraska, because of a number of factors, including but not exclusively that there is no longer a distinctively Nebraska system that exploits college football as Osborne did.

When Lloyd Carr pronounced to the media, "We're all just chasing Nebraska now," that was no small deal.

The whole machinery of college football was engaged to overthrow what Osborne had done.

I won't detail it all here. Partly, because the audience here is largely unfit for the discussion, preferring as it does, stupid pets tricks, and poker after dark, to solid football takes. And partly because it's all over, and why drag up what might have been?

Nebraska's dominion was overthrown largely by rule, including rules on the field, eligibility rules, recruiting rules, you name it.

Had the rules not changed drastically, and Osborne remained, he may have won three in a row, again, from '97-'99.

Certainly he created a self-perpetuating juggernaut, the likes of which college football will likely never see again.

I also think that colleges are catching up to each other....somewhat. The talent base is different than it was 10-20 years ago. There will never be streaks like that again IMO.

Schools have always had to catch up with each other. But the juggernaut that was the Huskers from 1993-1997 (60-3) won't be matched again, at least in Nebraska, because of a number of factors, including but not exclusively that there is no longer a distinctively Nebraska system that exploits college football as Osborne did.

When Lloyd Carr pronounced to the media, "We're all just chasing Nebraska now," that was no small deal.

The whole machinery of college football was engaged to overthrow what Osborne had done.

I won't detail it all here. Partly, because the audience here is largely unfit for the discussion, preferring as it does, stupid pets tricks, and poker after dark, to solid football takes. And partly because it's all over, and why drag up what might have been?

Nebraska's dominion was overthrown largely by rule, including rules on the field, eligibility rules, recruiting rules, you name it.

Had the rules not changed drastically, and Osborne remained, he may have won three in a row, again, from '97-'99.

Certainly he created a self-perpetuating juggernaut, the likes of which college football will likely never see again.

I think we all realize that we will never see a team that dominant ever again.

first off, i think usc is pretty dominate. 2 NC's, 3 heisman's, top 5 recruiting, etc... it can be done, just not the 'old nebraska way.' there used to be over 100 scholarships, now there is 85 i believe. there used to be freshman teams (no freshman could play varsity), there were no limit to the number of 'part-time' and full-time coaches. there were more hours for coaches and players to meet. there were less games in a season. there were no conference championship games, etc... in other words, the 'college football' game was about kids (for nebraska, a lot of homegrown and walkons) going to a college and becoming great COLLEGE football players. with the abolition of the above rules it has become more of a professional atmosphere. kids want to play right away, or they transfer. coaches are on an extremely hot carousel, which means frequent changes and BIG money. less scholarships means no more stockpiling players and keeping very loyal kids in-state. less practice time means a quicker tempo and less developement for non-starters.

now that callahan has been in the college system a few years, i think we will see some great strides. i remember him saying the biggest difference from pro to college was the amount of time he could spend with the players. he needed players to step in and play NOW (hence the juco explosion). now that he has had time to sift through the wannabe's and redshirt for the future we can watch some developement and grow some local talent and find great players destined for the pro's mixed with loyal in-state and walk-ons who only want to be huskers. buy into the system and start a cycle of 5 star's with corn-feds and i think streaks will start to build again. k-state, ku, colorado, ISU--they don't have the luxury of our tradition. they will never compete year in and year out. they will go through what we have been going through every 5-7 years. we are lucky it's only been 3 years in 50. go big red.