Mo Purify sighting

You want a pattern? Okay, how's this. Purify shows up to spring camp like 20 some pounds over weight.

I read an article the other day that puts Nicks about 25 pounds over weight. By extension i guess he too is a lazy, unmotivated, undisciplined person too?

Slausen is reportedly tipping the scales in excess as well.

As i recall Bjax and Glenn have come in over weight as well. Possibly Lucky too.

I don't see any merit to Purify's weight signaling anything. Football players in general seem to let themselves go a little in the offseason.

You want a pattern? Okay, how's this. Purify shows up to spring camp like 20 some pounds over weight.

I read an article the other day that puts Nicks about 25 pounds over weight. By extension i guess he too is a lazy, unmotivated, undisciplined person too?

Slausen is reportedly tipping the scales in excess as well.

As i recall Bjax and Glenn have come in over weight as well. Possibly Lucky too.

I don't see any merit to Purify's weight signaling anything. Football players in general seem to let themselves go a little in the offseason.

Imagine that. Kids come in overweight. Stop the presses.

and your point here is?? a comparison between being a drunk and over eating?

junior4949 brought up Purify being over weight as a sign he is undisciplined and doesn't care. My point was that a lot of players let themsevles go in the offseason. So, either all these people don't care and are undisciplined, or being overweight is just something that happens to many regardless and thus doesn't signify anything. The latter seems a lot more reasonable to me.

I'll take a shot here at putting a few of these discussions into one. There seems to be two sides to a coin here.

First off I don't know Purify personally and I'm getting the impression that nobody on this board does, either. But let's examine a few things anyway and perhaps we can draw some kind of a picture and then found some conclusions based upon it. First of all, while the weight thing, the barfight and the drunk driving are seperate instances which each have individual roots, no doubt, I don't think that anyone can argue against this simple fact. Purify has not (and more than likely CAN NOT) control himself. A college kid gains a few pounds in the offseason, so what? He got in a barfight––okay, it happens. He's cruising around drunk, too. Well, you know...college guy having a good time. These are just things that happen, right?

No, they don't. And I'm going to give you thirty million reasons why, and each one of them will have George Washington's face on them. Because that's how many smiles Purify could potentially be looking at if he could just for two damn seconds keep his head in the game. People, I am Purify's age (roughly), and if I were in his shoes, looking and the very real possibility of making it to the pros and perhaps even making a nice, big, green-looking splash, the last place I would be on any night would be a bar. Much less fighting in one or stumbling to my car after having wasted an evening in one.

Maybe I'm just overestimating Purify's talent, but regardless, if there was the slimmest glimmer of hope that I could make it (much less a nearly-guaranteed slot in the first round), I would be thinking football with all my heart and with all my strength and with all my mind. There's no time to be drinking, eating or fighting––I can do that when I retire at 35 to my twenty-room mansion in Beverly Hills. Anything less than the purest dedication to the game demonstrates either a) an astounding level of ignorance on Mo's part which nearly defies human conception or b.) an equally astounding lack of focus and self-discipline.

I want him to play pretty bad, because I know this team will suffer in his absence. But we are Nebraska after all, and the last thing we need is for someone to even momentarily think that we roll like the Cuba-north Florida teams. I'll go with what Callahan decides, but for the love of all that is sacred, Mo better get his sh#t together. He's embarrassing himself and the program, showing an uncanny lack of self-control, and complete disregard for himself and his future, the team, and Husker nation.

And USC must be raised to the ground.

Husker_X

You make a valid point. In my first post, I made the mistake of making people believe that Mo should be in the USC game. I was talking in coach speak and didn't clarify.

That being said, I think Mo should not be allowed to return to the team. In baseball, Ryan Wehrle, preseason all-american, let the team down several times. Coach Anderson gave him alot of chances. Most of the things that he did were not disclosed. Finally, the team got sick of it and wanted him out. Tony Watson, another preseason all-american, was good friends with Wehrle. You can see his decline after his 7-0 shutout of Texas. Now, Nebraska was supposed to be 4th in the Big 12 according to preseason polls. That is where the ended up. But who knows, if those two players focused all season on winning, we could of won the Big 12.

Now, that being said, I think that this team does not need any off-field incident issues. It tears at the team. But if the coaches wait for another incident, maybe mid-season, how will that effect the team. Cally will have to kick Mo off the team. His good friends may not perform up to standard after that. We are early enough for the coaches to make the move. Todd Peterson showed in the Spring Game that he could step in. We are deep in WR's.

You just watch games from the last 3 years and a lot of WR's were running open. Multiple shifts and motions are what the West Coast Offense is about. Its there to confuse and take advantage of the defense. It is just up to the other WR's to catch the balls, get YAC (yards after catch), and hold on the the ball. Pure and simple. It doesn't matter who a QB is throwing to.

And BTW, he could of dialed almost any number in Lincoln and someone would of got out of bed to pick him up. I know I would.

I guess what I'm asking is......how toasted is a 6-4 220 pounder at .16???

What was Solich??

Who gives a sh#t.

I do....obviously. I'm trying to understand. Granted .138 is enough to realize that you should not be behind the wheel. But I was just wondering if that's a buzz or if that's drunk drunk.

he had to have drank at least 8 drinks to have that amount of alcohol in his blood. but if it was 4 hours since his first drink then it was at least 11.

your body can metabolise 1 drink per hour

so anyway we dont know how long he was at the bar so there is really now way of telling how much he was drinking.

i have drank 11 beers over a bowling or playing darts and had a good buzz going. not sloppy drunk but enough that i knew that i should not be driving, and luckily i had my wife there to drive me home.

I guess what I'm asking is......how toasted is a 6-4 220 pounder at .16???

What was Solich??

Who gives a sh#t.

I do....obviously. I'm trying to understand. Granted .138 is enough to realize that you should not be behind the wheel. But I was just wondering if that's a buzz or if that's drunk drunk.

It's a pretty good amount of alcohol.....not sloppy drunk, sloppy drunk is about .200 and above that's f'ing smashed!!!!

if we as fans are more concerned about having him available for that game, then we are headed for the likes of thug-U (Miami). no thanks.

The discussion of Mo and how to deal with him goes to the very heart of what Nebraska football is all about.

Its more than a 21 year old making a mistake. Its the repetition of the mistake and fact he represents a great institution.

When I was 21 years old I was an infantry sergeant on the Demilitarized Zone. I wasn't given a free ride because of my age, and yes, I made mistakes. But I learned that there were three answers to every situation: 1) Yes sir. 2) No sir, and 3) No Excuse sir. Mo falls under the third answer.

I attended a luncheon today at Duke University where the speaker was the head of Duke's Ethics Department. His topic, "Can Ethics Be Taught?: Lessons from School and Work". He said that there was something called the "20-60-20 Rule" 20% of people will always cheat, 20% will never cheat, and 60% are looking for which direction to go.

I see Mo as cheating. He's cheating his teammates, Husker fans, the university, and most importantly, himself. Whether Mo is in the first 20% or the 60% I don't know.

As I was as a young sergeant and Mo is as a young athlete, we were/are both part of something bigger than ourselves. That must shape you or you should have no part of it.

Apart from my beloved Trojans, I don't give a hoot about about any other team than Nebraska.

Thats why it gives me great heart to see that Nebraska's 60% is being told what Husker football is all about and Mo being the case in point.

When I read:

Hunter 94 say, "I am saying that the USC game should have no bearing whatsoever on when he is allowed to return."

Husker x say, "But we are Nebraska after all."

MCAT800 say, "Yea lets have a program like the Canes and Crimenoles."

Axl Sued Me say, "bla..bla..bla we are Nebraska, not Notre Dame."

skerfan say, "Some really need to learn what Nebraska is all about."

Bennychico 11 say, "We're Fr'ing' Nebraska, not some school that needs to bend the rules for all their players because we want to win."

Bigrediowan say, "I'm sorry but I think what he has done over the past 5 weeks shows what type of character he has & that is not good enough for Nebraska."

Then I know the program still ranks character above winning at all costs. I don't care how good you are, you can't win all the time. But, win or lose you can always have character.

Today's speaker at Duke said the 60% are all very talented and skilled in what they do be it academics or athletics. But, they are all asking the question, "Who am I?" Loyal Huskers, its your job to define who they are and they will live up to that standard.

Fight On! GO Big Red!

if we as fans are more concerned about having him available for that game, then we are headed for the likes of thug-U (Miami). no thanks.

I see Mo as cheating. He's cheating his teammates, Husker fans, the university, and most importantly, himself. Whether Mo is in the first 20% or the 60% I don't know.

I doubt that anyone on this board knows better than BC whether or not MO is redeemable. That being said I don't think the decision regarding him is going to determine much of anything about the future of NU football. The future of NU football has already been determined in the minds of the powers that be and any decision regarding MO is more indicative of the future than it is determinative of the future. I don't think the decision regarding MO will cause NU to go in one direction or the other. If anything, it MAY give some insight into where the leadership (including BC) is taking the program. However, one incident/decision regarding MO is only going to give limited insight. Any wrong decision (whatever that is) could be a result of a mistaken judgement instead of flawed principles. For example, I don't believe TO's decisions regarding LP indicate flawed principles in TO. TO took a risk and it failed in the end. Taking a chance on someone has risks. MO could turn out fine or be a criminal. I'm not sure anyone knows at this point. Only the future will tell.

The discussion of Mo and how to deal with him goes to the very heart of what Nebraska football is all about.

Its more than a 21 year old making a mistake. Its the repetition of the mistake and fact he represents a great institution.

When I was 21 years old I was an infantry sergeant on the Demilitarized Zone. I wasn't given a free ride because of my age, and yes, I made mistakes. But I learned that there were three answers to every situation: 1) Yes sir. 2) No sir, and 3) No Excuse sir. Mo falls under the third answer.

I attended a luncheon today at Duke University where the speaker was the head of Duke's Ethics Department. His topic, "Can Ethics Be Taught?: Lessons from School and Work". He said that there was something called the "20-60-20 Rule" 20% of people will always cheat, 20% will never cheat, and 60% are looking for which direction to go.

As I was as a young sergeant and Mo is as a young athlete, we were/are both part of something bigger than ourselves. That must shape you or you should have no part of it.

Apart from my beloved Trojans, I don't give a hoot about about any other team than Nebraska.

Thats why it gives me great heart to see that Nebraska's 60% is being told what Husker football is all about and Mo being the case in point.

When I read:

Hunter 94 say, "I am saying that the USC game should have no bearing whatsoever on when he is allowed to return."

Husker x say, "But we are Nebraska after all."

MCAT800 say, "Yea lets have a program like the Canes and Crimenoles."

Axl Sued Me say, "bla..bla..bla we are Nebraska, not Notre Dame."

skerfan say, "Some really need to learn what Nebraska is all about."

Bennychico 11 say, "We're Fr'ing' Nebraska, not some school that needs to bend the rules for all their players because we want to win."

Bigrediowan say, "I'm sorry but I think what he has done over the past 5 weeks shows what type of character he has & that is not good enough for Nebraska."

Then I know the program still ranks character above winning at all costs. I don't care how good you are, you can't win all the time. But, win or lose you can always have character.

Today's speaker at Duke said the 60% are all very talented and skilled in what they do be it academics or athletics. But, they are all asking the question, "Who am I?" Loyal Huskers, its your job to define who they are and they will live up to that standard.

Fight On! GO Big Red!

wow...that was one hell of a post :clap

Ultimately, I think the decsion will be based on whether Mo is a "bad" kid that can't be redeemed verses a "good" kid that's made some bad decisions. If the former, he'll be gone; Callahan will impose some requirements that a "bad" kid can't meet. If the latter, he'll get another chance; he'll work through the requirements and demonstrate his desire to toe the line.