Corey Young Leaving...

I doubt it considering that Young was playing corner and Asante is a safety. Although I thought Young was better suited for a safety than a corner. I think he was at a crossroads, he wasnt suited for corner IMO, he just didnt have the technique, and we are bringing in some very good safetys.

Coulda swore he was playing safety when he got in last year...

He came in as a safety, then they moved him to corner. He played in a few games at corner(Nicholls, Troy, Kansas). There was talk about him moving back to safety, I think. Good luck to him.

I doubt it considering that Young was playing corner and Asante is a safety. Although I thought Young was better suited for a safety than a corner. I think he was at a crossroads, he wasnt suited for corner IMO, he just didnt have the technique, and we are bringing in some very good safetys.

Coulda swore he was playing safety when he got in last year...

He came in as a safety, then they moved him to corner. He played in a few games at corner(Nicholls, Troy, Kansas). There was talk about him moving back to safety, I think. Good luck to him.

I thought the coaches were constantly praising his play practice as a corner? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. If he wasn't happy and didnt want to be here, then its best that he left.

On 1620 yesterday Young said he'd been thinking about leaving for awhile. He said Coach Callahan was surprised by his decision and asked if there was anything that could be done to keep him here. He claims he's not sure where he'll go and will seek the help of his high school coach. He said he'd be willing to play corner, safety or even running back:wherever needed.

He's the first from the 2006 recruiting class to leave the team.

From what i've heard else where, that is most likely what it is.

After the addition of Sullivan and Blue last year, Corey was likely to switch to safety. And at safety, we have guys that are bigger and more athletic than Corey.

Again, this is based on what i heard elsewhere.

From the Omaha World Herald:

NU Notes: Defensive back Young released, plans to transfer

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Corey Young has been granted his release from the Nebraska football program and begun searching for his next place to play.

Young appeared in 11 games as a true freshman last season, mostly on special teams, and finished with 12 total tackles. The 6-foot, 195-pounder was a backup cornerback before practicing at safety in Cotton Bowl preparations.

Millard North coach Fred Petito said Tuesday that Young met with NU coach Bill Callahan on Monday. Petito said he did not push Young for his reasons for leaving.

"We made a few calls yesterday and I've said, 'Just tell me where you want to go,'" Petito said. "He is a talented young fellow. Obviously he's going to get something."

Petito said Young's best friend is Washington linebacker Paul Homer, "so Washington might be somebody he'll be looking at."

Young played three seasons at Millard South before transferring to Millard North in time to win a Class A state championship in 2005. He chose NU over Iowa State and Colorado State.

Oh well good luck to him at Iowa. The damn Iowa fans at work will be using this against me in an argument that Nebraska sucks and Iowa is better and that's why he chose to leave. :wacko:

just counter with "It just shows how good NU is, Iowa gives scholarships to our hand-me-downs"