My 3 deep......for now

I really like Dre Jones at CB. Last year, he was average because a lot of teams picked on him. He was still learning the nuiances of major college football (coming from JUCO).

From Husker.com

Andre Jones, a 6-0, 192-pound defensive back, earned a five-star rating from Rivals.com and was ranked the fourth-best junior college prospect in the country, regardless of position. Jones, who played high school ball at Choctawhatchee High School in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., recorded 50 tackles and three interceptions as a senior in high school, following up a junior campaign in which he tallied 44 tackles and four interceptions.

Games Played - 14 (13 started)

Unattended Tackles - 52

Attended Tackles - 22

Total Tackles - 74

Tackles for loss - 2 for 13 yards

Quarterback Sacks - 1 for 12 yards

Pass Break Ups - 7

Pass Interceptions - 1

Game High Pass Break Ups - 2 (vs. Kansas and Texas)

Only DB that had a QB sack in 2006

This guy proves every year that he can tackle. However, he needs more pass break ups and interceptions. I would rather have a guy at CB that is a sure tackler than someone who gets a few more interceptions and lets WR's get major YAC (yards after catch).

When Bowman is back, I would put Bowman at #1 CB and Jones at #2 CB. And BTW, Jones has 3" and 20 pounds on Grixby.

Yeah but Jones also allowed a lot of big plays. He needs to step up this year and cover some people.

But someone said something about Dillard earlier, and I don't think we should count him out. He played great in the first game last year before getting knocked out. I could see him getting some more pt and making some plays this year.

I really like Dre Jones at CB. Last year, he was average because a lot of teams picked on him. He was still learning the nuiances of major college football (coming from JUCO).

As do I... reminded me of Bowman as a Jr. Kind of struggled all year, but had some great moments (Kansas is the first to come to mind) and then really picked things up in the Bowl game practices and showed it on the field at the cotton bowl. He made great open field tackles and looked like he knew what he was doing.

Also the Spring Game excited me some to. I believe he had the only INT in the game, but it was a pretty nice play.

I really, really like Armondo though. I think he is ahead of both Bowman and Jones as far as coming in as a JUCO DB mainly because he has the talent of the other guys, and has been here since January! (Same goes for Asante, getting here for Spring will be huge for those guys)

As do I... reminded me of Bowman as a Jr. Kind of struggled all year, but had some great moments (Kansas is the first to come to mind) and then really picked things up in the Bowl game practices and showed it on the field at the cotton bowl. He made great open field tackles and looked like he knew what he was doing.

Also the Spring Game excited me some to. I believe he had the only INT in the game, but it was a pretty nice play.

I really, really like Armondo though. I think he is ahead of both Bowman and Jones as far as coming in as a JUCO DB mainly because he has the talent of the other guys, and has been here since January! (Same goes for Asante, getting here for Spring will be huge for those guys)

He covered Purify pretty damn well during the spring game and thats saying a lot considering Purify is taller and knows what he's doing out there compared to Murillo still learning.

Who is Alex Henery, by the way?

Place kicker from Burke High School who used to put kickoffs through the uprights on a regular basis.

going to really need a kicker with a strong leg sense the NCAA rules moved the kickoff back to the 30yd line

We should have some pretty good competition there for the first time in a few years with Adi and Henery. Maybe Congdon knew something we didnt. I sure hope so.

• 4 weeks later...

Starters/ Second Team/ Third Team

OFFENSE

QB Sam Keller/**** Joe Ganz/** Patrick Witt/***

FB J.B. Phillips/*** Thomas Lawson/* Matt Senske/*

I-BACK Marlon Lucky/***** Cody Glenn/*** Major Culbert/***

WR (X) Todd Peterson/* Nate Swift/*** Menelik Holt/***

WR (Z) Terrance Nunn/*** Frantz Hardy/****Chris Brooks/****

TE (Y) Hunter Teafatiller/* Mike McNeil/*** Josh Mueller/****

LT Carl Nicks/**** Jacob Hickman/*** Mike Smith/***

LG Andy Christensen/*** Mike Huff/*** Cruz Barrett/***

C Brett Byford/*** Andy Christensen/*** Jordan Picou/**

RG Matt Slauson/*** Keith Williams/*** Jacob Hickman/***

RT Lydon Murtha/**** D.J. Jones/**** Victory Haines/***

K Alex Henery/** Adi Kunalic/** Jake Wesch/*

DEFENSE

WDE Barry Turner/*** Clayton Sievers/*** Tony Sullivan/*

DT Shukree Barfield/*** Seth Jensen/***Kevin Dixon/****

NT Ndamukong Suh/**** Brandon Johnson/*** Craig Roark/***

SDE Ty Steinkuhler/*** Zach Potter/**** Pierre Allen/***

SAM Bo Ruud/**** Nick Covey/*** Kyle Moore/**

MIKE Corey Mckeon/*** Phillip Dillard/**** Lance Brandenburgh/***

WILL Steve Octavien/**** Lance Brandenburgh/*** Blake Lawerence/****

CB Courtney Grixby/**** Anthony West/*** Shawn Sullivan/***

FS Tierre Green/*** Bryan Wilson/*** LaTravis Washington/***

SS Ricky Thenarse/**** Larry Assante/**** Ben Eisenhart/*

CB Andre Jones/***** Armando Murillo/**** Anthony Blue/***

P Michael Such/* Dan Titchener/* Alex Henery/**

Special Teams

PR Terrance Nunn/*** Nate Swift/*** Courtney Grixby/****

KR Tierre Green/*** Marcus Mendoza/*** Anthony West/***

Major Culbert/*** Ricky Thenarse/**** LaTravis Washington/***

*bump*

Just wondering if anyone has any further depth chart insights.

I think that if we do have a fullback in on the play instead of an H back the fullback will be lawson while the H back will be Phillips. I also dont think there is any way that Asante doesnt start. Also I believe that it was Murillo and Grixby fighting for the same corner position so they would be flip flopped. Also I believe that if Bowman can come back by the beginning of the season he will be the starter by the third or fourth game. Frantz Hardy has stone hands and I dont think he sees the field this year which will allow Brooks or Holt to step in, maybe even Paul. I seriously doubt that washington will ever return a kick in his career at Nebraska, and I think that ALL the returns will come down to Prince, Gilleylan, Paul, Mendoza, or maybe Green. Washington will also be playing linebacker if he makes it to campus this year. IMO I think Yancy will be the backup to Turner, he is 6'4 240 lbs, so if he can just get told to go rush the passer much like Turner did when he was a freshman I think he could be a monster on third downs, if they dont put Octavian in.

I think that if we do have a fullback in on the play instead of an H back the fullback will be lawson while the H back will be Phillips. I also dont think there is any way that Asante doesnt start. Also I believe that it was Murillo and Grixby fighting for the same corner position so they would be flip flopped. Also I believe that if Bowman can come back by the beginning of the season he will be the starter by the third or fourth game. Frantz Hardy has stone hands and I dont think he sees the field this year which will allow Brooks or Holt to step in, maybe even Paul. I seriously doubt that washington will ever return a kick in his career at Nebraska, and I think that ALL the returns will come down to Prince, Gilleylan, Paul, Mendoza, or maybe Green. Washington will also be playing linebacker if he makes it to campus this year. IMO I think Yancy will be the backup to Turner, he is 6'4 240 lbs, so if he can just get told to go rush the passer much like Turner did when he was a freshman I think he could be a monster on third downs, if they dont put Octavian in.

I can almost guarantee you that Hardy plays. Stone hands or not, he's the fastest receiver we have (with playing time). He may drop some passes, but he's our biggest threat after the catch. I also think that Grixby will be in the mix for punt returns. Paul may see the field as a freshman, but not as much as you'd think. He'll have a couple plays designed for him, but with the depth of receiver I don't see him making a huge contribution.

I do not know what the depth chart will look like, but here is what I think WOULD BE BEST for us on paper

3rd string RB - Castille will get some time here. Hopefully Culbert will be moved back where he belongs, to defense, and Castille and Mendoza will split time here depending on the situation.

OL - There will be plenty of young guys getting time on the line this year...look for DJ Jones to overtake Murtha some time during the season. Murtha just ain't nasty enough

DL - I agree with the poster who said that Yancy may see some time behind Turner. Other than Barry (and possibly Octavien) we will need an energy/speed guy that can get to the quarterback...Yancy is this guy

Corner - I certainly hope to see Bowman/Jones...I know grixby has played for 3 years, and even though he is a little guy-he likes to stick his nose in there and make a tackle.....we just CAN'T AFFORD to be leaving the help over him on every single play. We simply CAN NOT EVER leave him on an island man-to-man. Teams have big tall receivers (like USC and the whorns), and constantly leaving a safety over the top of Grixby limits us. Then, the opposing offense knows that the saftey help will be weak against the run on that side of the field. I love grixby and think he is a good player...but better for nickel/dime situations. It would kill us to have a safety rolled up over him every single down.

and finally Safety - After going to the spring game, I am absolutely PRAYING that Ricky and Larry are the safeties. Ricky was electric during the spring game, and he brings the intensity and enthusiasm that reminds of the good defenses we had in the 90's. Green and Wilson are capable, however, i LOVE the energy that Ricky brings. Asante is virtually a lock, and having him paired up with Thenarse would be SOOOOO EXCITING to watch.

PLEEEAAAAASE PUT THENARSE ON THE FIELD!!!! ANYWHERE!!!!