Purify update

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/0...29812829312.txt

Purify's attorney asks for continuance on charges

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Jun 21, 2007 - 11:49:13 am CDT

An attorney for Nebraska wide receiver Maurice Purify asked for a continuance Thursday morning in Lancaster County Court, where he’s facing misdemeanor charges.

The charges — two counts of assault, trespassing, refusing to comply with police and hindering an arrest — stem from a May 5 altercation at a downtown Lincoln bar in which Purify was allegedly involved.

The judge has yet to rule on his attorney’s request for a continuance.

The 21-year-old senior from Eureka, Calif., also is facing charges from a June 8 incident in which he was cited for suspicion of driving while intoxicated after being stopped by the Nebraska State Patrol at North First Street and Cornhusker Highway.

Purify’s blood alcohol level was 0.138, authorities have said. The legal limit in Nebraska is 0.08.

Arguably the Huskers’ most potent weapon on offense, Purify was suspended indefinitely from the team after the June 8 stop.

His attorney, Jon Braaten of Lincoln, has said Purify had been authorized to apply for pretrial diversion for the May 5 incident and had been in the process of deciding whether to sign up.

asked for a continuance

what does this mean?

A court date had been set, but for whatever reason the defense attorney wants it re-set to a later date. The three most plausible reasons (in no particular order) are:

1. More time to negotiate for a deal.

2. Having trouble lining up witnesses or getting the evidence they think exists.

3. Let the pre-trial publicity settle a bit, before picking a jury.

This is pretty common, and my bet would be that the reason for the request is number 1 - if the prosecutor agrees to the request, then that's almost certainly because both sides feel they can cut a deal. If the prosecutor merely doesn't object, then it's most likley a case of number 2 - and the prosecution feels they have a strong case that can't be beaten even if the defense gets more time to prepare.

they're still allowing him to apply for pretrial diversion?

I figured they were going to take that option away now.

The way I read it is that he was given the option after the May 5th incident...and when the next incident happened he was still deciding. Notice it says that he "HAD BEEN" deciding. There's probably no deciding to be made now.

this really doesnt tell us anything new... I just want to know when he'll play.

with the continuance it will now take longer to get him on the field, assuming that BC is going to wait to re-instate him until everything is setteled in the court system

I was under the impression they were going to try to draw it out past next season so any penalty would occur after his eligibility it used up.

But that would be wrong!

And almost unimaginable