CU probation

adc7236

The local news just reported that sCUm has been hit for NCAA violations. The news stated that they were hit for under charging student athletes for meals and other unspecified violations. They are going to have to give up one scholarship a year for the next three years but I did not catch the rest. I wonder what the other violations were? If the biggest thing they got them on was undercharging for meals then holy crap...the NCAA is jacked up. I keep waiting for the outcome of USC investigations which never seems to come. Make no mistake, I am not defending sCUm as I hate them but I do want equal sanctions for all programs.

If the biggest thing they got them on was undercharging for meals then holy crap...the NCAA is jacked up. I keep waiting for the outcome of USC investigations which never seems to come.

That was my first thought as well.

They have to pay like 60,000 to charity too. Something like that.

Apparantely self reporting=slap on the wrist and your birthday taken away. The violations commitee is WAY out of whack on this.

Yeah, they are losing a scholarship for having meals that were too cheap. The NCAA has all kinds of oddball rules that make no sense. South Carolina, for instance, violated rues, because Spurrier's wife sent welcome letters to the families of new recruits. They cant fix the broken stuff, but will break anything that works.

Off the Wire

By DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE PRESS SERVICES

LITTLE ROCK — Colorado draws NCAA sanctions

Colorado was placed on two years’ probation and fined $100,000 by the NCAA on Thursday for inadvertently undercharging 133 athletes for meals totaling $61,700 over six academic years. The school also was ordered to cut one football scholarship for the next three seasons.

The violations are considered “major,” the infractions committee said. The fine is to be paid to a hunger- or homeless-relief charity.

The probation will not limit Colorado’s television exposure or NCAA Tournament appearances, however.

Most of the infractions occurred in football (86) and women’s soccer (29), but also in women’s volleyball (6), tennis (2) and golf (1) and in men’s basketball (9).

Two of the violations found that some walk-on student-athletes paid a dining hall meal-plan rate instead of the higher training-table rate.

“Training table meals are approximately $14, $15,” Athletic Director Mike Bohn said. “Meals at the dining hall are about $7 or $8.”

Bohn said the university compliance officers regulate and approve who gets what meals and when.

The nature of the infractions, because they were inadvertent and promptly reported, gave the NCAA reason to limit the penalty, said Paul Dee, infractions committee chairman.

The university proposed a self-imposed repayment of the undercharged amount to the NCAA, but Dee said because the infractions occurred over such a lengthy period of time - from 2000-2001 through the 2005-2006 academic year - and involved so many student-athletes, the NCAA decided to fine the university $100,000.