Carriker Update

Carriker Hoping to Solidify Starting Spot

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer

When rumor became reality for rookie Adam Carriker during the Rams’ organized team activities, he took it upon himself to do everything he can to be prepared for his new job as the Rams’ de facto starting nose tackle.

Sure, the speculation about Carriker moving from end to defensive tackle had already been declared by coach Scott Linehan but it wasn’t clear which tackle spot the first-round choice from Nebraska would be occupying. Soon after the team used the 13th pick on Carriker, though, it became clear that he would immediately be in the mix on the inside.

At the rookie minicamp, Carriker got his first real taste of the nose tackle position. But it was still unclear if he would remain there until the team dealt incumbent Jimmy Kennedy a couple of weeks ago.

“Friday morning I woke up, my wife is like, ‘Jimmy Kennedy? Isn’t he the other nose guard,’” Carriker said. “I’m like, ‘Yeah.’ She said, ‘He got traded.’”

Immediately, Carriker became the odds on favorite to play the nose tackle position. In conjunction with that, Carriker knew he had some work to do. It started by digging his nose into the defensive playbook as early and often as possible.

Right after the draft, Carriker arrived in St. Louis and received his playbook. He looked the most comfortable of the rookies at the rookie minicamp and took his first round of repetitions at nose tackle in that camp.

“When I first got here, I was like I’m the rookie, I have to learn this whole defense, I have to catch up and learn a new position,” Carriker said. “Playing a new position, I feel that even more to be honest with you just because I want to hold that spot now. Right now, I am earning that spot and I want to keep it.”

Carriker says the mental aspect is just one part of making the move to nose tackle. He played some two gap tackle at Nebraska, but not enough to feel immediately comfortable upon arrival in St. Louis.

“It’s a lot closer and things happen a lot faster at the nose tackle,” Carriker said. “Three technique, you have a little more space and you’re further away from the linemen.”

Because of the nose tackle’s proximity to the line of scrimmage and the ball, it’s important for Carriker to be big enough to handle the sudden impact of a lineman or two getting on top of him so quickly. In addition, he needs to maintain the speed and quickness to get off the ball and get to the backfield.

To that end, Carriker has been working to add weight. He weighed in around 296 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, but has since been putting on weight and was about 313 pounds at the team’s full squad minicamp.

“I’ve been right around 310 consistently,” Carriker said. “I’ve just gradually put on weight. Right after the combine, I wanted to put on a little bit of weight because I knew I was going to be a 3-4 end or an inside guy somewhere depending on who took me. As soon as I found out the Rams took me and they wanted me to play nose guard, I tried to get up to 305 by the time I got here. I put on about five pounds in the last month that I’ve been here.”

Clearly, Carriker has made the physical strides to be an impact player as a rookie. He also appears to be growing into the mental aspects and has quickly become a favorite of Linehan and the defensive coaching staff.

“He's just old school," Linehan said. “He comes to work, he doesn't say anything, and he always does his best. He does things with great effort and pride, and that's what you want any player to do, let alone a rookie. He has that right mindset. He's going to be a pretty special player.”

For the time being, it appears Carriker will be firmly entrenched as the starter at nose tackle. It’s not out of the question for the Rams to make a move on another nose tackle between now and training camp, but Carriker plans on doing whatever it takes to nail down the starting position.

“I still have a long way to go,” Carriker said. “There’s still training camp, there’s still preseason games. Right now, I have a job, and it’s my job to hold onto it and earn that job. I’m a little surprised, but now that I’ve been blessed with that, I plan to keep it.”

• 3 weeks later...

Really? I've heard *lots* of worry from the sportswriters about moving him from end to the interior. It seems like the general consensus is they're not sure it's going to work well.

But either way, I'll be cheering for him. Don't be so negative! How good was our D in 2005, the year Carriker put up those monster stats?

Good, unlike Cozgrove, the Rams will put him at his proper position. Is it any wonder why he had such an average year last year. Coz again turned a top draft pick into an ordinary player.

Why is it that every post that you submit has to be negative? You must be a very unhappy person. Can't you say anything good about the coaches or the program. You have to "poo(h)" on everything.

Good, unlike Cozgrove, the Rams will put him at his proper position. Is it any wonder why he had such an average year last year. Coz again turned a top draft pick into an ordinary player.

do you think that his lack of sack last year was do to Cosgrove, playing him out of position? or do you think that it was because being double and triple teamed most of the time. if the defensive backfield is struggling, a d-coord doesnt have the ability to blitz line backers as much leaving running backs and other linemen to concentrate on Adam.

how many "ordinary" players do you know that were drafted in the 1st round? out of all of the players drafted (32 per round x 7 rounds = 224) for Adam to be drafted, what #16, in the 1st round is extrodinary.

so your statement that Coz turned a top draft pick into an ordinary player is :asshat ish

dedhoarse

Yeah, Cosgrove turned him into an ordinary player that a team is willing to pay millions of dollars to have play for them. I got a question for you PooMan, how many sacks would he have got playing on the inside? How would you have measured his productivity? Did you actually watch any of the games and see that he lined up inside quite a bit? I don't even know why I bother, it's not like you know what you are talking about, you just come by to drop off some poo, fitting name. :thumbs

Yeah, Cosgrove turned him into an ordinary player that a team is willing to pay millions of dollars to have play for them.

If you were at all smart, you would realize you proved my point. Adam was an excellent player, but Coz's system put him in the improper position to play.

Did you actually watch any of the games and see that he lined up inside quite a bit?

Yes I did and Adam played better on the inside, dominant at times. Maybe if you would have watched a game or two, you would have witnessed it instead of talking out of your backside.

I don't even know why I bother, it's not like you know what you are talking about,

Who died and made you "God of everything football related?" Oh, that's right, you're too stupid to see that Adam played better as a DT in passing situations then he did as a blown up, oversized D-end. Run along little boy, I rest my case.

Yeah, Cosgrove turned him into an ordinary player that a team is willing to pay millions of dollars to have play for them.

If you were at all smart, you would realize you proved my point. Adam was an excellent player, but Coz's system put him in the improper position to play.

Did you actually watch any of the games and see that he lined up inside quite a bit?

Yes I did and Adam played better on the inside, dominant at times.

I don't even know why I bother, it's not like you know what you are talking about,

Who died and made you "God of everything football related?" Oh, that's right, you're too stupid to see that Adam played better as a DT in passing situations then he did as a blown up, oversized D-end. Run along little boy, I rest my case.

This is getting really old!!!!! There's almost no way that Adam won't start for the Rams considering he is a such a workhorse!!!! One of the first things said about him was how good his work ethic was.

Yes I did and Adam played better on the inside, dominant at times. Maybe if you would have watched a game or two, you would have witnessed it instead of talking out of your backside.

How exactly did I prove your point? Football is a TEAM sport. Adam's versatility allowed Cosgrove to do different things to create matchup problems. The fact that you feel the need to call me a "little boy" and stupid says a lot about you. I got it, the Rams paid Carriker a lot of money because Cosgrove is stupid. Just disregard the fact that he was being looked at as a 3-4 end and some wanted him as a 4-3 end elsewhere because of his VERSATILITY. If you watched the NFL scouting combine or read anything related to the draft, you would know this, but most of this on the NFL network, so maybe you don't have it. Carriker ran one of the better 40 times for all Defensive ends, had a faster shuttle time than all D-ends and was faster than almost all the linebackers. Carriker was dominant wherever he lined up. He faced a lot more double and triple teams on the end which freed up the tackles to make plays, Moore to make plays one on one and the LB's to make plays. Football is a team sport, and Adam's abilities allowed him to play different places to give the D different looks. I should take offense to being called stupid, but you are so misinformed that it is comical. I don't care that you have a differing opinion than mine, but you gotta do better than that.

This is getting really old!!!!! There's almost no way that Adam is going to start for the Rams considering he is a such a workhorse!!!! One of the first things said about him was how good his work ethic was.

You mean no way he ISN'T going to start???