College Football's Best "New" Rivalries

it's nebraska verses 'X'.

X = any nancy boi college squad that decides to man-up and face the huskers.

even if nebraska has off-year, any school that may beat nebraska will say "yah, but we BEAT NEBRASKA". they'll probably have t-shirts printed-up, too and youtube tributes to their team.

64-36, anyone? yah, that's what i'm talking about.

OKLAHOMA

Unfortunately Bill Byrne did not have enough cajones to insist that when the Big XII was formed that the game was going to be played EVERY YEAR so the game lost a little luster but is still very big when we do play.

Missouri used to be the tough game year in and year out in the old Big 8.

Colorado perceived as a rivalry (by them) simpy because of their jerk fans and "I'm so happy I have a Woody" Paige.

K-State does not have the lasting power to be a rival...Snyder led teams got on a roll for a couple of years but not consistently.

OKLAHOMA

Unfortunately Bill Byrne did not have enough cajones to insist that when the Big XII was formed that the game was going to be played EVERY YEAR so the game lost a little luster but is still very big when we do play.

Missouri used to be the tough game year in and year out in the old Big 8.

Colorado perceived as a rivalry (by them) simpy because of their jerk fans and "I'm so happy I have a Woody" Paige.

K-State does not have the lasting power to be a rival...Snyder led teams got on a roll for a couple of years but not consistently.

The OU vs. NU rivalry lost it's luster long before the Big 12 was formed. It lost the luster when OU was put on probation. Considering they didn't rise from the dead until Stoops took over, how can you blame that on Byrne when the Big 12 was formed a few years before Stoops took over? I see many jumping on the bandwagon of a Missouri rivalry, but I must say I don't see it. I think the CU rivalry will be hot again long before there's much of a rivalry with Mizzou. Until Pinkel pulls his head out of his ass, they'll be nothing more than a jekyl and hyde team winning a game or two they shouldn't and losing many games they should win.

The only reason teams from the old Big 8 circle the NU game every year is because after Switzer departed from OU, NU ruled the roost for many years. All of those teams remember the ass whoopins they took at the hands of the Huskers. Do you really think Texas gets a woody over the NU game? I highly doubt it as they've had their way with us when TO was coach, Frank was coach, and BC as coach many more times than we've had our way with them. I think Major Applewhite has more wins over NU than NU has wins over Texas in the last 10 years.

i disagree, KSU doesn't play well enough for us to consider them a rival.

there has to be a heated past, they are pathetic, we don't crave to beat them each year, we just expect it. they are not a game we wait for each year, they are just on the schedule, period.

I concur. How can it be a rivalry if they get spanked every year?

holy sh#t batman! KSU as a rival? are you shittin me?? that's a stretch!

Yes. KSU and NU is a strecth. More like KU and NU. The last 3 games have been heated!! :woo

OK, neither one is really a rivalry. Have I mentioned how much I dislike KSU??

However this is what feeds into the 'rivalry' status. Look how many people's sigs are 'KSUcks' or 'Freeman Sucks', etc. If it wasn't a rivalry.....people wouldn't be so ademant about saying that. For instance Baylor...we know they suck...however nobody makes a point to tell how much they hate Baylor or want to beat the crap out of them...because they aren't a rival.

Analysts, magazines wouldn't consider it a rivalry if BOTH sides were so intent on voicing their dislike for the other one.....therefore, rivalry status.

aggy considers Baylor a rival sometimes and that one has heated up even moreso in the past couple of years.

Yes. KSU and NU is a strecth. More like KU and NU. The last 3 games have been heated!!

42 to 12 or whatever it was, is heated?

I gotta weigh in here and agree that KU is an up and coming "wannabe" rival. The Fighting Manginos benchmark their season not with how they do against KSU, but how well they perform against us. And 2 years ago they did well enough to break the second longest losing streak in NCAA football history. The year before that, they lost by 6. Last year, they took us to 2OT. That's heated.

As for the all time best rivalry - Army-Navy hands down!

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Of the various teams that either we, or they want to call rivals, lets take a look.

OU - The history is there, at least till '96. Now it is every two years. OU doesnt consider us their rival either. They look at Texas as the rivalry game, with OSU second. Add in the fact that they have the last 4 of 5 games doesnt help our cause of calling them a rival. This may have been our traditional rival, but it is not one to talk about for anything more than nostalgia anymore.

KU - two wins in 30 years? Not a rival, there has to be wins a lot closer and more heated than that.

KSU - Last season was the first time sence Osborne left that we won in Manhattan. In the Big 8, no they were more or less a whipping boy. But in the Big 12 era, they have been one of the games that has tended to be for the rights to the champ game. The absolute hatred of the fan bases against each other is another factor. Weather some want to admit it, this has become a rivalry game. It may not have the long term history, but it has the more recent parts, and looks to continue into the future.

CU - This is another game that has had alot to say about who goes to the champ game. It is another case of the fan bases absolutly hating one another, on the CU end to the point where the student section got ejected in our last trip to Boulder. While they were down last year, and likely this year and the next, it is a type of game where players get up for it regardless of if it matters or not. Rivalry.

MU - While it may be possible for something to develop here, it certainly isnt yet. The games tend to be close, but there isnt the passion for it like there is for other games. Hell, this is the team i sometimes cant remember being in the Conference.

Rivalry is such a loaded term in football. Some only want to remember the older things and pass off the newer ones as just short term, or that they just hate that team. Hating a team you play every single year, and where the games tend to be the ones for the marbles are what rivalries are about. OU used to be the team. But in the post Big 8 world, it has to be CU and KSU.

Of the various teams that either we, or they want to call rivals, lets take a look.

OU - The history is there, at least till '96. Now it is every two years. OU doesnt consider us their rival either. They look at Texas as the rivalry game, with OSU second. Add in the fact that they have the last 4 of 5 games doesnt help our cause of calling them a rival. This may have been our traditional rival, but it is not one to talk about for anything more than nostalgia anymore.

KU - two wins in 30 years? Not a rival, there has to be wins a lot closer and more heated than that.

KSU - Last season was the first time sence Osborne left that we won in Manhattan. In the Big 8, no they were more or less a whipping boy. But in the Big 12 era, they have been one of the games that has tended to be for the rights to the champ game. The absolute hatred of the fan bases against each other is another factor. Weather some want to admit it, this has become a rivalry game. It may not have the long term history, but it has the more recent parts, and looks to continue into the future.

CU - This is another game that has had alot to say about who goes to the champ game. It is another case of the fan bases absolutly hating one another, on the CU end to the point where the student section got ejected in our last trip to Boulder. While they were down last year, and likely this year and the next, it is a type of game where players get up for it regardless of if it matters or not. Rivalry.

MU - While it may be possible for something to develop here, it certainly isnt yet. The games tend to be close, but there isnt the passion for it like there is for other games. Hell, this is the team i sometimes cant remember being in the Conference.

Rivalry is such a loaded term in football. Some only want to remember the older things and pass off the newer ones as just short term, or that they just hate that team. Hating a team you play every single year, and where the games tend to be the ones for the marbles are what rivalries are about. OU used to be the team. But in the post Big 8 world, it has to be CU and KSU.

Its a sad day to be part of the Northern division.........unless you wear purple then youre usually pretty gay. :rollin

Do you see a trend here. CU decided to be our rival in the late 80's early 90's. Then we kicked there a$$ for 8 or 9 years. Then comes along KSUCKS, and they want to be our rivals. Well there 8 or 9 straight years of a$$ kickings is in year 3 this year. They took it a step further though. They tried to mimick our tunnel walk with there garage walk. You know when they open that garage door (by hand because they can't figure out how to use a remote) and storm the field. Then they tried to take it a step further with harley day(problably because there fans are so few that they can't make that much noise so they have to use harleys to up the noise level). Are they a rival? don't know, but if hatred for a program is the criteria, then I guess I consider them a rival.

To me a rival is an opponent who is equal competition. My hope is that the Huskers return to elite status. If anyone else wants to rival that, let them step it up and make it a rivalry. The Sooners used to be a rival; I "hated" them but I respected their play. And the run up to the NU/OU game alwas gave me a knot in my stomach. You always knew they were going to be tough to beat. I haven't felt the same way about any of the other so-called rivalries.

Yes. KSU and NU is a strecth. More like KU and NU. The last 3 games have been heated!! :woo

OK, neither one is really a rivalry. Have I mentioned how much I dislike KSU??

However this is what feeds into the 'rivalry' status. Look how many people's sigs are 'KSUcks' or 'Freeman Sucks', etc. If it wasn't a rivalry.....people wouldn't be so ademant about saying that. For instance Baylor...we know they suck...however nobody makes a point to tell how much they hate Baylor or want to beat the crap out of them...because they aren't a rival.

Analysts, magazines wouldn't consider it a rivalry if BOTH sides were so intent on voicing their dislike for the other one.....therefore, rivalry status.

aggy considers Baylor a rival sometimes and that one has heated up even moreso in the past couple of years.

Baylor has never beat us though. The reason most Husker fans hate Ksucks is because They have beaten us, and there fans are intolerable (spelling) about it. I mean Texas tech beat us by 60 points a few years ago, but they don't go around talking about it and trying to start stuff with Husker fans about it. Kitty fans football legacy consists of 6 gamesNU(98) NU (00) NU (02) NU (03) NU (04), and OU (03) That's what they base there football program on That's the only 6 games they ever want to talk about.