Why our students need to step up....

They are not as clever, passionate and crazy as some of the other student sections around the country. Don’t get me wrong, I like them. They show up, there somewhat loud and they know the game that there watching. But there creativity, enthusiasm and there overall craziness is very much lacking. This isn’t a bash session on the students at Nebraska but it’s time to step it up. Here’s what I’m talking about…

I'll have to look at these when I get home because the links are to banned web sites at my work, but I can comment on two of the student groups you cite...

In 2002 at PSU, we were assaulted (physically), spit on, beer spilled on, etc by students before, during, and after the game. What's more, we had to look at "F**K the Huskers" t-shirts everywhere, since student reps were handing them out at the gate. No, the letters were not changed around. Joe Pa ended up issuing an apology on behalf of the university the week after the game, and the campus promised a "crack down" (whatever that means). I doubt if I'll ever go back if we schedule them again.

The Terp basketball fans are NOT looked upon as a shining example of student behavior here in the state. The school has banned Gary Glitter's "Rock & Roll Part II" from being played at the games because of the way they added offensive lyrics. Of course, we all knew it wouldn't do any good, because they continue to sing the song anyway - without music. Yes, they are fanatically rowdy, especially when Duke comes to town, but their actions are not viewed in a positive way.

I can't comment on our students' enthusiasm, or lack thereof. I can only say that the two examples above should not be used as a benchmark of what a "good" student section is.

Ya I agree, they are in the top corner of the stadium. Also the focus really isnt on the student section as much as it is the players and the tunnel walk. I would be willing to bet that the stadium goes crazy, including the student section when the tunnel walk is about ready to come. The times I have been to games the stadium erupts when the first tune of the tunnel walk comes on, and besides that the noise alone from the stadium has to be one of the loudest in the nation. I dont think we have to do anything to drastic, just make as much noise as possible.

The students need to be relocated if they are going to have any great effect.

I think that would help immensely....

Just my overall impression of the student section is that they lack creativity (honestly, what do they do that's cool and creative? Anything???) and they lack the fright, fear and insanity that other student sections give. No I don't want them to spit, throw punches, spill beer....but you can create a threatening, fearful atomosphere without spewing blunt hate.

Another problem is the University itself. What do they do for the students? Nothing. How many shirts have they handed out? How many towels have they handed out? How many pep rally’s or any other pre-game festives geared towards the students have they created? None. UNL has brushed them off to the side, while welcoming with open arms fans with bigger wallets.

I'll have to look at these when I get home because the links are to banned web sites at my work, but I can comment on two of the student groups you cite...

In 2002 at PSU, we were assaulted (physically), spit on, beer spilled on, etc by students before, during, and after the game. What's more, we had to look at "F**K the Huskers" t-shirts everywhere, since student reps were handing them out at the gate. No, the letters were not changed around. Joe Pa ended up issuing an apology on behalf of the university the week after the game, and the campus promised a "crack down" (whatever that means). I doubt if I'll ever go back if we schedule them again.

The Terp basketball fans are NOT looked upon as a shining example of student behavior here in the state. The school has banned Gary Glitter's "Rock & Roll Part II" from being played at the games because of the way they added offensive lyrics. Of course, we all knew it wouldn't do any good, because they continue to sing the song anyway - without music. Yes, they are fanatically rowdy, especially when Duke comes to town, but their actions are not viewed in a positive way.

I can't comment on our students' enthusiasm, or lack thereof. I can only say that the two examples above should not be used as a benchmark of what a "good" student section is.

If the offensive lyrics inserted into that song are the ones I am thinking of, they were no stranger to the student section in my time there.

Also, unless they have moved, I had student seats 5 rows off the field in East Stadium for three years. Hard to beat.

I would also venture to say there is a direct correlation to the team's record/talent level and the level of "insane wackiness" in the stands. I am not surprised if it has diminished.

Another problem is the University itself. What do they do for the students? Nothing. How many shirts have they handed out? How many towels have they handed out? How many pep rally’s or any other pre-game festives geared towards the students have they created? None. UNL has brushed them off to the side, while welcoming with open arms fans with bigger wallets.

you mean besides cheap tickets to EVERY home game?

you mean besides cheap tickets to EVERY home game?

Yeah you wouldn't want to do anything for STUDENTS at the UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA. God forbid we get them involved....that would be crazy! I mean it's not like students have the ability to make large amounts of noise or cause a daunting atmoshphere for opposing teams. That certainly doesn't happen anywhere else <_<