Let the NU bashing begin

look, this is cally's first "experiment" in real discipline (forget Incognito, that one didn't count) with a player he feels has enough character to get it back together. i can almost promise you this, if Mo "pisses backwards" on cally and his gift to let him back on the field, you likely will see a much stronger response from him (cally) the next time one of his kids gets in to trouble.

What about Mulkey?

yes, i did forget about him, seemed to be a lot lower profile? seemed different somehow?

Lower profile, but never the less a player that was given more than one chance under both Solich and Callahan. Callahan had enough and cut him loose.

Sure it's not exactly the same because Mo is a higher profile player but it could still be an example of how he runs things.

look, this is cally's first "experiment" in real discipline (forget Incognito, that one didn't count) with a player he feels has enough character to get it back together. i can almost promise you this, if Mo "pisses backwards" on cally and his gift to let him back on the field, you likely will see a much stronger response from him (cally) the next time one of his kids gets in to trouble.

What about Mulkey?

This is not his first time at real discipline. This is the first time there are legal charges involved. He dealt with Incognito sternly and quickly, and yes he counts, he was the best lineman we had at the time (thats sad) and that makes him a very relevant example. To say you think the penelty is too light is one thing, but dont imply that he hasnt had to make tough choices as far as discipline is concerned because that just isnt the truth.

What about Mulkey?

yes, i did forget about him, seemed to be a lot lower profile? seemed different somehow?

Lower profile, but never the less a player that was given more than one chance under both Solich and Callahan. Callahan had enough and cut him loose.

Sure it's not exactly the same because Mo is a higher profile player but it could still be an example of how he runs things.

I think someone I know said that this would be a black eye on the program. Who was that?

You can bet the whole enchilada that if this were a 3rd team scrub (Mulkey) he would be looking for a new school.

Incognito is very comparable. He was all conference and all american candidate. BC met with him and his father in early February, stating that he must clean up his act. Internal team problems, intentional injuring of players, attitude, bully, all factored into Richie being let go. He was required to take anger management by BC, which never was completed. He was told in early May he had one more chance, he ended that when he attacked the Big Smooth.

Apples to apples Incognito was a much better player than MO has been.

But two totally different issues for the team. There could have been legal issues with Richie, very easily. He was a cancer on the team. Cotton wanted him gone the year before, but Frank kept him. BC said coming in he doubted he would ever play another game for Nebraska. That was tough decission for him no question. But he never really felt Richie was a team player. I think he thinks MO is.

Honestly MO has done nothing compared to actions of Incognito. This comes from a person that lost a best friend and a brother to drunk driving. Kids make mistakes, Mo fits that, Incognito was just plain evil. His actions were not mistakes, they were intentional.

i guess after reviewing it, my point is legal issues were involved, not in house or team rules broken. yes, this is a different test for cally than the past ones. how in the hell can this not be higher profile? the kid was in trouble outside the football system.

it is different, regardless what you think, it falls in a different category, societal laws were broken and the image or possible outcome has a greater effect on how others view our program. (just take another look at Miami's program and Coker)

diminish it if you want, but in reality this is a bigger deal than most.

What about Mulkey?

This is not his first time at real discipline. This is the first time there are legal charges involved. He dealt with Incognito sternly and quickly, and yes he counts, he was the best lineman we had at the time (that's sad) and that makes him a very relevant example. To say you think the penalty is too light is one thing, but don't imply that he hasn't had to make tough choices as far as discipline is concerned because that just isn't the truth.

no, not true, this is a much tougher situation for cally. he is about to come down lightly on the side of a guy who has been in trouble with the LAW. you don't think that all of college football's critics won't be watching how Mo responds to this? you better hope the hell this kid doesn't screw up again or cally's critics will eat his ass up!

I really expected this and I think part of it is either you love Nebraska or you hate them and there is no in between. These people hate Nebraska and take a microscope to everything that is done. Do I think he should have received a harsher punishment i.e. more of a suspension.....................sure, but I'm not the coach so I'm not going to question why he does things. It's his team not mine.......... :dunno

I guess my question is how many other students at the university have had this happen. Most drink, and in college heavily, most likely more than they will at any other time in their lives. Kids make mistakes, he just happened to get caught twice. I would guess most on this board have had similar situations where they just got away with it. I know I screwed up plenty at that age. Just forunate not to have been around the authorities when it happened,or get caught, how ever you want to word it.

The other part is the fact that that Richie was turned loose. And at a much more important time for BC. I doubt the statement if MO had not been a starter it would be different. I think BC is fair. And as the Big RedIowan says, we do not know the whole story.

BC made the decission, he will have to live with it.

Comments from the story on ESPN.com

Might as well pat him on the back. DUI and assault, that would mess up a lot of peoples lives, but not when you are a professional football player for the Univ. of Nebraska, you get to do what you want.

Nebraska proves once again they are the Oakland Raiders of college football (among other schools). They sellout for the championship a la Lawrence Phillips.

The Husker hate stems from the facts this is a 2nd incident and Purify is only being suspended for one game Vs lowly Nevada. I could see a one game suspension if this had been one incident and not involving multiple charges. But, you have two incidents with multiple charges to which he pleads no contest and Purify is back on the the team with a one game suspension. I'm sorry , But that sounds like Nebraska more concerned with winning then sending the proper message about criminal behavior.

Hmm . . .pretty sure if it was somebody lower on the depth chart, he would not be on the team. And to prosport00, these are not kids, they are adults. And a kid getting into trouble is being past curfew. Don't let your loyalty trivialize a serious offense.

Same old Nebraska, let me guess Lawrence Phillips will be the new Running Backs coach.

ALTHOUGH this comes from a user (a Buff fan, nonetheless) on IGN

I'm impressed at how he handled it, and this is coming from a Colorado fan.

and from an Ohio State fan

Wow, at least he's a man about it...

That's ok, people have the right to talk.

I guess my question is how many other students at the university have had this happen. Most drink, and in college heavily, most likely more than they will at any other time in their lives. Kids make mistakes, he just happened to get caught twice. I would guess most on this board have had similar situations where they just got away with it. I know I screwed up plenty at that age. Just forunate not to have been around the authorities when it happened,or get caught, how ever you want to word it.

The other part is the fact that that Richie was turned loose. And at a much more important time for BC. I doubt the statement if MO had not been a starter it would be different. I think BC is fair. And as the Big RedIowan says, we do not know the whole story.

BC made the decission, he will have to live with it.

i agree and i think HE is willing to do just that.

What about Mulkey?

This is not his first time at real discipline. This is the first time there are legal charges involved. He dealt with Incognito sternly and quickly, and yes he counts, he was the best lineman we had at the time (that's sad) and that makes him a very relevant example. To say you think the penalty is too light is one thing, but don't imply that he hasn't had to make tough choices as far as discipline is concerned because that just isn't the truth.

no, not true, this is a much tougher situation for cally. he is about to come down lightly on the side of a guy who has been in trouble with the LAW. you don't think that all of college football's critics won't be watching how Mo responds to this? you better hope the hell this kid doesn't screw up again or cally's critics will eat his ass up!

Careful, its more important to live your life doing what you think right, rather than what others think is right right. That fear will have you going against your own will and leave you defending something you dont believe in. (ie. F**K Critics)

What about Mulkey?

I think someone I know said that this would be a black eye on the program. Who was that?

You can bet the whole enchilada that if this were a 3rd team scrub (Mulkey) he would be looking for a new school.

If i remember correctly, Mulkey did see the field. He had some big catches his last year as a Husker.