Future

Not to make yet another redundant response to your comment about "This is why intelligent people don't mess with message boards," Nirvana, your points are taken, granted, but *where* in the world does "Tom Rathman will be the next Osborne" come from? Hey, it'd be cool if it happened, but singling out Rathman and heaping all this praise on him seems to be unmerited. Do you have inside information, or did that just come from left field?

Not to make yet another redundant response to your comment about "This is why intelligent people don't mess with message boards," Nirvana, your points are taken, granted, but *where* in the world does "Tom Rathman will be the next Osborne" come from? Hey, it'd be cool if it happened, but singling out Rathman and heaping all this praise on him seems to be unmerited. Do you have inside information, or did that just come from left field?

It's main derivative is a water-pipe and aroma therapy.

:lol::clap:rollin

this is why intelligent people dont mess with message boards, they are solving real problems in real life or accomplishing real goals. someone on here please tell me where Callahan got his first coaching gig? where did Bo Pelini get his first head coaching job? and who in thier right mind broke down and gave Jimmy Johnson a head coaching position? how did these people become proven? not long ago half of you "brainiac" HUSKER fans wanted Bo Pelini to be the next head coach at NU..... where was his proven record? 97% of you people didnt know who Pelini was. Had it not Been for Monte Kiffin He would still be drying towels in some training room in the NFL. give me a break....80% of you people were calling for Tom Osbornes head in the early 90s, he had only one head coaching job in his life, who gave him the shot? back off with the proven record stuff. Experience is the best teacher, Rathman has been to the mountain top in pro football. He is a man who can teach pro quality technique to young pro quality players.

Your referring to "us husker fans" as if you aren't part of "this fanbase" and I may speak for a few people when I say that the whole "Pelini for HC" was a heat of the moment passion, and not of rational thought.

this is why intelligent people dont mess with message boards, they are solving real problems in real life or accomplishing real goals. someone on here please tell me where Callahan got his first coaching gig? where did Bo Pelini get his first head coaching job? and who in thier right mind broke down and gave Jimmy Johnson a head coaching position? how did these people become proven? not long ago half of you "brainiac" HUSKER fans wanted Bo Pelini to be the next head coach at NU..... where was his proven record? 97% of you people didnt know who Pelini was. Had it not Been for Monte Kiffin He would still be drying towels in some training room in the NFL. give me a break....80% of you people were calling for Tom Osbornes head in the early 90s, he had only one head coaching job in his life, who gave him the shot? back off with the proven record stuff. Experience is the best teacher, Rathman has been to the mountain top in pro football. He is a man who can teach pro quality technique to young pro quality players.

Your referring to "us husker fans" as if you aren't part of "this fanbase" and I may speak for a few people when I say that the whole "Pelini for HC" was a heat of the moment passion, and not of rational thought.

I think he just gave away that he is a troll................ <_<

wow, a total expert has arrived on the scene? been having lunch with Bill lately?

My thoughts exactly. I have not seen a single press clipping from anywhere (and I try to follow them as much as possible) about Callahan even mentioning a whim that he might one day return to the pros. Again, I don't doubt the possibility, but you can build your legend in a state that doesn't forget, or go to the ESPN mill where the wind blows worse than in DC. If it were me, with what they're paying me, I'd take the Huskers any day and twice on Sunday. Especially with kids. Who wants to end up in Chicago, New York, or the West Coast with kids?

And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

just so you are aware....by the time news hits the press, its too late, oh and by the way, anyone, anywhere who is usually looking for a new job, tends to not let the current employer know. coaching is a STRESSFULL job at this level. You my friend would not be able to comprehend it. In the Pros a coach does not have to wait for players to develop. They can insert ability where they need it and spend more time on the Xs and Os which is the fun part of coaching. lets see...less work more money...thats my ultimate goal in life, how about you?

:lol::clap:rollin

Now that Nebraska has gone to the west coast offense, the logical choice is Tom Rathman, a pioneer in the offense. Callahan has great ability...i just know he wants to be in the NFL, and he will go there when given the right situation trust me. We did not hire Callahan from Wisconson, or Baylor. He came from the Raiders not far removed from a super bowl appearence. Pro football personel are watching Callahan at NU, if he turns the program around with moderate success he is going to be on the HOT list and the money will be FAT! especially if Cleveland comes calling. it would be kind of like you instantly becoming the owner of the company you work for. could you win the lottery and give half of it back? Tom Rathman wants to be a part of the Husker coaching staff...with his exp and credentials in the west coast offense NU could only benefit.

wow, a total expert has arrived on the scene? been having lunch with Bill lately?

My thoughts exactly. I have not seen a single press clipping from anywhere (and I try to follow them as much as possible) about Callahan even mentioning a whim that he might one day return to the pros. Again, I don't doubt the possibility, but you can build your legend in a state that doesn't forget, or go to the ESPN mill where the wind blows worse than in DC. If it were me, with what they're paying me, I'd take the Huskers any day and twice on Sunday. Especially with kids. Who wants to end up in Chicago, New York, or the West Coast with kids?

just so you are aware....by the time news hits the press, its too late, oh and by the way, anyone, anywhere who is usually looking for a new job, tends to not let the current employer know. coaching is a STRESSFULL job at this level. You my friend would not be able to comprehend it. In the Pros a coach does not have to wait for players to develop. They can insert ability where they need it and spend more time on the Xs and Os which is the fun part of coaching. lets see...less work more money...thats my ultimate goal in life, how about you?

Okay so you just deconstructed your whole argument. Now you say Rathman is better off staying in the pros.

My point Exactly, heat of the moment thought....thats how we will be selecting our next head coach when Callahan departs to the promise land of pro football. Tom Rathman has recruiting potiential Callahan can only dream of, talent will flock to NU. To learn the west coast offense from someone who won a superbowl surrounded by the greatest players ever in the game of pro football? Tom would have his choice in offensive coordinators, imagine Ronnie Lott putting on a clinic for our defensive backs? The best part is Rathman would be happy being the head football coach for NU for the rest of his life.

Okay so you just deconstructed your whole argument. Now you say Rathman is better off staying in the pros.

Rathman wants to be in Nebraska, he has publicly made that clear. his passion for HUSKER football will bring and keep him here because HE IS A HUSKER!!!!!!! Tom Rathman has WON A SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!! he has nothing left to prove in the NFL. Tom enjoys coaching and developing players, Hmmmmmmm.

Funny how the man himself has said directly and succinctly that he has no interest in returning to the NFL. I've heard it here, folks. He says he loves where he's at, the job he's doing, the people he works with. Once Bill's got that Big XII championshi trophy sitting in his case and the potential for a national championship in the works, everyone is going to fall silent, then slowly trickle into thunderous applause. Once that happens, he'll have his option, stay, or pros. I don't think he's going anywhere––because that's how he says he feels.

And USC must be razed to the ground.

How many coaches have supposedly been happy with where they're at only to get that hot phone call and be on the next plane out of town? I'm sure the Miami Dolphins are real happy with Saban. Plus, I don't see NU trying to compete money wise with a pro team if BC ever has that kind of success. Considering the loyalty of BC's assistants to the program, what makes you think BC will be anymore loyal if the right situation opens up for him? I'm pretty sure I read where Miles was very happy at OSU, but after the call from LSU wow he got happier. Petrino was supposedly happy at Louisville a couple of years ago when he turned down pro jobs. What happened? Well he found what he perceived as the right opening and bolted to Atlanta. I think it's very naive to at least not accept the fact that BC may get lured away from NU by a pro team. However, I think he's got a lot to do and accomplish before many/any pro teams lay out the red carpet for him.

I think the difference is is that Callhan has ALREADY done the NFL thing. Saban never had. Say what you want to about Callahan's abilities as a head coach, but anyone who is at the helm at Oakland is already hog-tied by Davis from the get-go.

Say what you want about the assistants, but they are leaving due to stepping up their careers, not stepping down. (i.e. Frank Solich...and yeah, didn't leave as an assistant, or on his own terms, who cares.) It sucks for Nebraska, but is still a positive sign that our assistants are competent and doing well.

I'm not quite sure why you even mentioned Frank Solich as leaving considering he was the HEAD coach not just an assistant and he was FIRED. I'm speaking of guys like the Offensive Coordinator who made a lateral move to UCLA as the OC. I'm sure you're going to bring things up like he didn't get to call the plays, etc. Fact is, he was the OC at NU and is now the OC at UCLA. A lateral move on paper. Also, you have to question why he'd leave NU to go coach under a head coach that is on the hot seat and was listed as a Mandel top 5 worst coach? Typically when a head coach is fired, his assistants are without a job as well. If UCLA struggles, Norvell might be begging for a job. Blake pretty much made a lateral move as well. He may have seen somewhat of an upgrade, but it's at a much lesser school. I'm not sure if I'd call his leaving a step up in career. Snyder at KState lost a lot of assistants as does Bob Stoops, the only difference is their assistants leave for HEAD coaching positions not lateral movements.

Sh*t, I knew this was coming...

Please re-read the part about Frank I posted...I'm not even repeating it.

Lateral transfers...look up what they're getting paid...then tell me how 'lateral' they were.

Yeah, this is Nebraska, and we're all passionate...but $$$ does talk to some folks.

Thank you for driving my original point home. I said they appear as lateral moves on paper, but yes they are getting paid more money. Money doesn't just talk to some folks, it talks to the vast majority of folks. How many posters here have changed jobs because they were offered more money or better incentives? It's not like BC is getting paid the kind of money Saban is at Bama, Stoops at OU, or Carroll at USC. I don't think NU will or can compete moneywise with these D1 programs much less an NFL team. Again, this is why I said it's naive to think BC won't consider leaving if someone lays out the red carpet and the greenbacks in front of him no matter how happy he says he is at NU.

Back to the assistants. Like I said, it's pretty common for coaching staffs to get picked over. The ones that come to mind the most are KState when Snyder was coach and OU with Stoops. However, most of the assistants that left these schools took head coaching jobs. Other than Gill, I don't believe one assistant under BC has taken a HC position. Maybe I'm not giving North Carolina enough credit, but they seem pretty mid-D1 to me. I just think Norvell made a poor decision taking basically the same job under a coach that is on the hot seat no matter how much his salary increased. I think Blake made a similar poor decision taking the job at North Carolina. If NU is on the verge of a breakout season as many of you predict, Blake would have been a lot closer to a HC job than he will be at North Carolina because it's going to take years to build that team to the caliber of even NU right now. It appears to me that he just prolonged his misery as an assistant. I just don't see how the two above mentioned assitant coaches improved themselves in the eyes of other schools for a HC job especially if Dorrell at UCLA is fired within the next two seasons. We all know the real money starts at the HC position. So back to your original statement: I just don't see how they "stepped up their careers".

No, what I'm unable to "comprehend" is where in God's name you are getting your asinine theories. Are you Bill Callahan? Is he your neighbor? Do you invite the man over for Sunday dinner? Certainly you must be a coach for some big-level college, seeing as you apparently can comprehend the stress level. Well answer me this, big guy, what, exactly do you think is less stressful about managing––not college kids, now––but several dozen over-paid, egotistical prima donnas, as well as being responsible for the financial juggernaut which is a professional football team? I realize Callahan's offense is complicated. So what? I seem to remember last season our WR, RBs, TEs, and FBs were whizzing all around on audibles like synchronized swimmers. But more to the issue, you haven't provided a single iota of evidence that Callahan has, is, or will seek a move to the pros at this point. Your basic assumption is that everyone is the same as yourself, meaning that money is always going to be the bottom line. Call me old fashioned, but right now I see Callahan as a man with a family, doing a job that he loves, slowly earning the respect of Nebraska and her fans. It's not like they're putting him on welfare with his salary, either. He's seen the pros and the darker side of the politics, too. Now unless you're privy to some insider knowledge, kindly realize you've just been twhopped by the entire message board.

And as to my ulmitae goal, Mr. American Dream, it is to do something I enjoy and make enough money at it so as to survive comfortably.

And USC must be razed to the ground.

My point Exactly, heat of the moment thought....thats how we will be selecting our next head coach when Callahan departs to the promise land of pro football. Tom Rathman has recruiting potiential Callahan can only dream of, talent will flock to NU. To learn the west coast offense from someone who won a superbowl surrounded by the greatest players ever in the game of pro football? Tom would have his choice in offensive coordinators, imagine Ronnie Lott putting on a clinic for our defensive backs? The best part is Rathman would be happy being the head football coach for NU for the rest of his life.

No offense, but unless God is coaching at NU talent will never "flock" to NU. Talent didn't just "flock" to NU when TO was coaching and we were winning 3 NC in 4 years. How many 18 year old kids graduating high school even remember Rathman playing much less who he is? I think you might be tooting his horn just a little loud. Just because Rathman won a Superbowl under a coach who founded the West Coast offense doesn't mean much. Look at Dave Wanstadt. He was tutored under Jimmie Johnson, yet he doesn't even hold a candle to Jimmie. Notre Dame didn't hire Tim Brown as their HC even though he's done a lot for the school in terms of helping get kids to look at them. I don't believe Rathman has done this for NU. I don't doubt Rathman would be happy at NU for the rest of his life, but so would several other potential coaches. Why aren't you tooting Scott Frosts horn? He was under Walsh's watchful eye at QB for two seasons at Stanford and has some coaching background. He won a NC here at NU. Or, you could toot Tommie's horn also except for the fact that he was a flop in his first HC job. Why Rathman over some of these other guys?

No offense, but unless God is coaching at NU talent will never "flock" to NU. Talent didn't just "flock" to NU when TO was coaching and we were winning 3 NC in 4 years. How many 18 year old kids graduating high school even remember Rathman playing much less who he is? I think you might be tooting his horn just a little loud. Just because Rathman won a Superbowl under a coach who founded the West Coast offense doesn't mean much. Look at Dave Wanstadt. He was tutored under Jimmie Johnson, yet he doesn't even hold a candle to Jimmie. Notre Dame didn't hire Tim Brown as their HC even though he's done a lot for the school in terms of helping get kids to look at them. I don't believe Rathman has done this for NU. I don't doubt Rathman would be happy at NU for the rest of his life, but so would several other potential coaches. Why aren't you tooting Scott Frosts horn? He was under Walsh's watchful eye at QB for two seasons at Stanford and has some coaching background. He won a NC here at NU. Or, you could toot Tommie's horn also except for the fact that he was a flop in his first HC job. Why Rathman over some of these other guys?

Actually the 1996 class had 6 of the top 100 commit so that's pretty good. Included Mike and Ralph Brown. The prize catch was DeAngelo Evans as the #6 player in the country but we know how that turned out...