Prince Amukamara

Freshman DB won't be ignored

By Mike Babcock

For The Independent

LINCOLN Older cornerbacks have been quick to offer advice. "They're real supportive, and just trying to make me feel at home," Prince Amukamara said following Wednesday's practice.

Sometimes in giving advice they're looking out for their own interests, too.

Senior Andre Jones, for example, suggested that Amukamara, a freshman from Glendale, Ariz., go easy with the jokes and sarcasm around cornerbacks coach Phil Elmassian.

Amukamara has made some cracks he thought were funny but they elicited little or no response from Elmassian. "Either he doesn't hear it or he ignores it," said Amukamara.

Jones told him to "cool it down a bit," Amukamara said with a smile, "because he (Elmassian) probably does hear me, and he (Jones) doesn't want us to run more."

Elmassian can seem old-school gruff, and Jones doesn't want to be disciplined for Amukamara's remarks, however light-hearted or innocent their intent might be.

Before training camp began, Jones and Cortney Grixby, also a senior corner, wondered aloud how his self-described "sarcasm" would be around Elmassian, said Amukamara. "Everyone kept saying, 'I can't wait 'til he sees Coach E' and stuff. When I met him, he was a real cool guy.

"He has a lot of experience. He knows what he's talking about. He takes real pride in what he does, so when he gives me like coaching lessons, I just take it, apply it to myself."

Amukamara has a lot to learn and apply during training camp. He excelled on offense in high school, rushing for 2,100 yards and 24 touchdowns and catching 22 passes for 252 yards and six touchdowns as a senior. His preference would be offense now, "maybe a slotback or wide receiver."

(He paused and glanced around before answering that question.)

But Nebraska recruited him as an athlete he was the Arizona 4A champion in the 100- and 200-meters and the need was greater at cornerback, he said. "So I'm glad I'm helping there."

He also could help as a kick returner. That might be his best chance to contribute, in fact.

Though he arrived in early June to prepare for his first collegiate season, Amukamara was surprised by the intensity and pace of training-camp practices.

"I've never worked like this in my life, so I'm probably like at the best shape of my life and just ready to play," he said.

Being from Arizona, he is used to heat but not the humidity.

Amukamara and Anthony Blue, another freshman cornerback, drew what could be considered significant praise from senior middle linebacker Corey McKeon during Monday's pre-training camp news conference. "As far as big personalities, we haven't seen too much of it yet," McKeon said. "I know Blue and Prince, those new corners, they're very talented and they like to talk, too, which makes it fun for me. Those two are very loud, so it will be interesting to see how they integrate into the defense."

McKeon has set the team standard for brash. He and a few other older players are expressing their competitiveness, said Amukamara. "So we just get competitive, too.

"It's like we sink down to their level."

He'll talk back to older players on the field, but not in the locker room.

Why not the locker room?

"What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room," he said. "That's what they tell me."

As for keeping quiet to avoid extra running . . . well, Jones' concern probably is justified. He might say something anyway. "Definitely," Amukamara said. "I like to speak my mind."

Lets hope that he can walk the walk also