Green: definition of team player

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but you gotta love his attitude OWH article

NU Football: Green all grit on job

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Tierre Green has spent four years doing what he was told, so he saw no reason to change when Nebraska reported for preseason football practice on Monday.

He long before had been informed that he would have to re-earn the starting job he had last season. The fifth-year senior nodded and went to work.

"He just does whatever you ask him to do," Nebraska assistant coach Bill Busch said. "One-hundred percent with a big smile on his face."

Green has been the good soldier since arriving at NU. He played three positions in a three-year span. Even switched from offense to defense once.

Finally with a home at strong safety in 2006, the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder is back in a battle for either the strong or free safety spot for 2007.

"It's never given to you," Green said. "For me, I feel like if you don't go out there and perform, you're not deserving of the job. You shouldn't get it.

"If I go in there with the mind-set of being complacent, of saying, 'Hey, I'm a senior, I should be starting because I started last year,' that's not what makes great teams. Great teams aren't made by seniority."

Green, Larry Asante, Bryan Wilson and Rickey Thenarse have been asked to create some separation before Busch and NU defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove settle on No. 1 safeties. All four have been required to know and practice at both the strong and free spots.

Good thing for Green he already has so much experience in starting over.

"Basically, you've got to show the coaches that you're the guy, that if they don't have you on the field then they're going to be missing something," he said. "I need to make it to where if I leave the field, they feel like it's a dropoff."

Green was listed as an "athlete" when he signed in 2003 - and his Husker career certainly has played out that way.

The Omaha Benson graduate played I-back as a redshirt freshman, cornerback as a sophomore and then started 14 games at strong safety as a junior. He also contributed every season as a kickoff returner and on other special-teams units.

"Switching back and forth, it was a drag at times, but I did it and I was happy to do it because I wanted to play ball," Green said. "But playing the same position allows you to evaluate yourself from one year to the next and understand what you need to do to get better.

"I've always felt like I can do just about anything on the field if I put my mind to it and worked at it. But definitely at this point and time, playing safety in 2007, I'd say this is where I need to be."

Busch said Green has bought into the competition. That's helped the less-experienced safeties get on board with it.

"He works as hard as anybody I've ever coached before," Busch said. "There's never any sort of a cool-breeze attitude by Tierre. When he comes to practice, boy, does he practice. He doesn't take anything for granted."

Busch said Green "runs the show back there" when he's at either safety spot. There's an ease and confidence level that comes with his experience. There's also a respect from his peers.

"He's been here, and he's been through all the coaches and all that stuff," Wilson said. "He's a true veteran."

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but you gotta love his attitude OWH article

NU Football: Green all grit on job

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Tierre Green has spent four years doing what he was told, so he saw no reason to change when Nebraska reported for preseason football practice on Monday.

He long before had been informed that he would have to re-earn the starting job he had last season. The fifth-year senior nodded and went to work.

"He just does whatever you ask him to do," Nebraska assistant coach Bill Busch said. "One-hundred percent with a big smile on his face."

Green has been the good soldier since arriving at NU. He played three positions in a three-year span. Even switched from offense to defense once.

Finally with a home at strong safety in 2006, the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder is back in a battle for either the strong or free safety spot for 2007.

"It's never given to you," Green said. "For me, I feel like if you don't go out there and perform, you're not deserving of the job. You shouldn't get it.

"If I go in there with the mind-set of being complacent, of saying, 'Hey, I'm a senior, I should be starting because I started last year,' that's not what makes great teams. Great teams aren't made by seniority."

Green, Larry Asante, Bryan Wilson and Rickey Thenarse have been asked to create some separation before Busch and NU defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove settle on No. 1 safeties. All four have been required to know and practice at both the strong and free spots.

Good thing for Green he already has so much experience in starting over.

"Basically, you've got to show the coaches that you're the guy, that if they don't have you on the field then they're going to be missing something," he said. "I need to make it to where if I leave the field, they feel like it's a dropoff."

Green was listed as an "athlete" when he signed in 2003 - and his Husker career certainly has played out that way.

The Omaha Benson graduate played I-back as a redshirt freshman, cornerback as a sophomore and then started 14 games at strong safety as a junior. He also contributed every season as a kickoff returner and on other special-teams units.

"Switching back and forth, it was a drag at times, but I did it and I was happy to do it because I wanted to play ball," Green said. "But playing the same position allows you to evaluate yourself from one year to the next and understand what you need to do to get better.

"I've always felt like I can do just about anything on the field if I put my mind to it and worked at it. But definitely at this point and time, playing safety in 2007, I'd say this is where I need to be."

Busch said Green has bought into the competition. That's helped the less-experienced safeties get on board with it.

"He works as hard as anybody I've ever coached before," Busch said. "There's never any sort of a cool-breeze attitude by Tierre. When he comes to practice, boy, does he practice. He doesn't take anything for granted."

Busch said Green "runs the show back there" when he's at either safety spot. There's an ease and confidence level that comes with his experience. There's also a respect from his peers.

"He's been here, and he's been through all the coaches and all that stuff," Wilson said. "He's a true veteran."

Great story but what has he done.....anything really? He's an average DB at best. He should have to re-earn it

This kid has had three D coordinators, three position coaches, three defensive systems and played three positions in his time here...........maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt about "what has he done", because if he was an average player while going through all that mess then I'm excited to see what he can do now that he has had something actually be the same 2 years in a row for the first time in his career.

he doesnt really stick out, but come on. in the last ten years we have had both bullocks, mike brown and minter at safety(I'm sure I'm missing more). its kinda hard to stick out here.

Mmmm...Minter...

33xy7pg.jpg

rrrghuhhh!

Go get'em Tierre!