Cornerbacks work to make big plays

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2007 - 12:03:34 am CDT

LINK

Comparisons aren’t always fair, says Nebraska cornerbacks coach Phil Elmassian.

With that in mind, Elmassian conducted his own comparison study, anyway.

The principal players were Nebraska and USC. The subject was pass defense. The timeline was the 2005 and 2006 seasons (conference games only).

The study, Elmassian said, focused solely on point-of-attack opportunities for the cornerbacks — times the ball goes a cornerback’s direction.

His findings have led to some goal-setting and emphasis-pointing in Nebraska’s fall camp.

Elmassian wasn’t fazed by the interception comparison (five by USC, three by Nebraska) or touchdowns allowed (seven by each team).

“But the glaring difference? We had nine plays (allowed) over 40 yards,” Elmassian said, “and they had one.

“Those nine plays, those are opportunities. Are you going to make all of them? No. Let’s make half of them. If we make half of them, you never know which of those games would change.”

To that end, Elmassian’s emphasis beginning in spring football, senior cornerback Cortney Grixby said, was big plays — making them, primarily, but also limiting them.

“We’ve been really, like, one play away,” Grixby said, “from a lot of games.”

Grixby acknowledged Elmassian’s USC comparison, saying the NU cornerbacks studied USC’s corners and what they ran.

“We learned a lot,” Grixby said. “There really wasn’t a lot too much different. They play some zone and quarters. They play some of the similar techniques that we had. It was good to see how they went about doing their technique.”

Elmassian said he’s keeping close track of the cornerbacks’ point-of-attack opportunities in fall camp. It’s too early now, he said, but by the end of next week, Elmassian wants a clear assessment.

“That’s going to be a big determination for the players, who is going to play. Who’s making plays? — broken up passes, interceptions, contacts with the ball.

“We’ve been OK with that (in practice). By next week, I’ll find out where we’re at, because I’m keeping track of every one of those. Every one.”

Elmassian certainly isn’t alone is dissecting Nebraska’s pass defense. Without question, fans and media alike have maligned, blamed, criticized and debated recent cornerback play. Big plays through the air were especially costly in losses to Oklahoma State and Oklahoma last season.

Elmassian isn’t one for excuses, but the loss of Zackary Bowman last season did his position no favors. Bowman is currently out again while recovering from knee surgery and might return by conference play.

The bright side? For the first time in Elmassian’s four-year Nebraska tenure, he’s not breaking in a new starter at the position. Grixby and Andre Jones, both seniors, return. Jones, in particular, had a solid spring.

Behind them is Armando Murillo, a 6-foot, 195-pound junior college transfer. He had three interceptions last season at Eastern Arizona Community College and adapted to Nebraska’s defense during the spring.

“I feel like I’m way much better now than in the spring,” Murillo said, noting he’s still making mental errors.

Elmassian likes Murillo but cautions that he, like Jones and Bowman before him, is starting over on the Division I-A level.

“It’s not automatic with those guys (as transfers),” Elmassian said. “Those bullets haven’t been flying yet.”

True freshmen Prince Amukamara and Anthony Blue “have been real pleasing,” Elmassian said. Amukamara, in particular, had a strong practice Monday and collected three interceptions in his first week of practice.

Elmassian said he likes the fact he doesn’t have to force a newcomer into the lineup immediately, especially the freshmen.

“Freshmen, you’re on a roller coaster,” he said, “and you know what happens on a roller coaster. You get sick.”

Overall, though, Elmassian said his cornerbacks have more abilities to make more plays.

“(Right now) we’re not making the plays that we can make and I think we will make, eventually,” he said. “That’s just timing and decision-making. That’s been the biggest emphasis.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

true shut down corners are very rare. so the ability to not give up big plays and stop the opponent on medium yardage is KEY.

they gave up 9 for 40 (40!!) yds or more? that's a lot. what about the REAL daggers--9-16yds on 2nd and 3rd & long for 1st downs. Big XII title game, anyone? this article actually scares me more than reassures me. if bowman doesn't come back stronger than before, (and he might not even be the answer) our senior linebackers and revamped d-lne won't mean squat. DB's--still the biggest ??'s on our team.

Man I hope they are much better this year if not I'm going to sh#t myself everytime a team throws the deep ball!!!!!

... and is this weak point going to hamstring the pass rushing game like last year? [That's a rhetorical question.]

If they are just as bad then I think there is no other answer to that, but YES!!!! God I hope not because we could have been so much better last year than we were if our secondary wasn't hurting as bad. :madash

It sounds like they're finally teaching the corners to look for the ball and get their hands up. Personally, I think the secondary will improve solely because Shanle won't be back there. I can think back to a couple of plays that make me sick. Hopefully with some bigger hitters at the safety position those wideouts will be getting blown up right about the time the ball gets to them.

It sounds like they're finally teaching the corners to look for the ball and get their hands up. Personally, I think the secondary will improve solely because Shanle won't be back there. I can think back to a couple of plays that make me sick. Hopefully with some bigger hitters at the safety position those wideouts will be getting blown up right about the time the ball gets to them.

Shanle was definately a pain in the arse!!!!! He was so afraid to hit someone it made me sick!!!!

Does it bother the F**K out of anyone else that Ellmasian is having our corners watch what USC's corners are doing and Grixby said"we learned alot". This is bull$hit and makes Elmo look like he doesnt know what he is doing........Why would we need to emulate someone elses corners if Elmo is worth a pinch of $hit.

Does it bother the F**K out of anyone else that Ellmasian is having our corners watch what USC's corners are doing and Grixby said"we learned alot". This is bull$hit and makes Elmo look like he doesnt know what he is doing........Why would we need to emulate someone elses corners if Elmo is worth a pinch of $hit.

Teams trade tape and meet all the time. It's nothing new. It's not like you can just go buy a bunch of tapes and get rid of any coaching staff!??!

Would you be surprised to find out that the NU coaching staff met with the Auburn coaching staff sometime after the Cotton bowl to go over tape, scheme's etc?

I'd prefer that they not try to emulate Satan. Everybody knows those communist Phillistines sold their souls to the devil. Now our corners are becoming infected by their rancid defiled sacrilege.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

easy.....because coach E is a pitiful DB coach. this guy is clueless and one more year of play like last year should get his ass canned. he admits he now has some guys with experience back there, let's see if there is any improvement or changes in technique, there better be!