Local Bloviation

Here in my home state there's a weekly show that runs during football season which I like to watch for it's length and general good, solid coverage (with brief commercial breaks) of college football. It's called Cy-Hawk Talk: State of the Nations. This week the guys, who are both talented casters, in my opinion, are breaking down what they think the future of the Hawks and Cyclones.

But somewhere in the midst of the Cyclone preview, the commentator had some pretty negative things to say about Nebraska, Bill Callahan, and the future of our team. His points were:

1) Nebraska is just another team because we no longer run the option. We now have to recruit the same players as the rest of the nation because our system is virtually the same. When Touchdown Tommy came out of college, he had very limited options where he could play and play early. Nebraska among those was the only real choice.

2) Nebraska has not and can not win big games. Eg. Oklahoma, Auburn, Texas, USC, etc.

3) Bill Callahan might win a Big XII championship or two, but Nebraska will never––never––be a yearly 9/10/11 win team, consistently playing for BCS and championship games like we were.

4) For all Callahan's recruiting prowess, four years in we're still recruiting JUCOs by the bushel. Not a good sign.

I have my own thoughts about about his idears about our team, but I'll open the floor to you fine people. Whaddya think? (Although for a hint, Blaine Gabbert comes to mind for a variety of reasons; what he represents in our recruiting as well as what he will soon do for us.)

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

well, the dumb ass doesn't see the whole picture. sure we recruited JUCO's. the whole damn team and type of player we need to run the WCO had to be revamped and some of the JUCO's were available to get that transition underway. besides, the top JUCO's are sought by some of the top teams in the country, so what?

anyone can say we will never be the same as the teams of the 90's. surely he isn't suggesting we be an option team, a concept that just doesn't work anymore in college football? ah duh, yes we will have to recruit the same type of player as all the top programs, WTF? what kind revelation is that!! all the top teams stretch the field with a vertical passing game, you change and run what works or you remain a dinosaur and you die!

this guy makes no sense in his comments and i think he is just jealous in the strides and the direction of Husker football. this transition has taken longer than any of us cared to see, BUT IT IS HAPPENING! we stand to take the best recruiting class in a long time this year and we are still 2-3 years away from big time results, BUT they are coming, so in the mean time, just ignore a$$hole$ like this guy. since he has nothing positive to say about his teams, he quickly turns to run down our guys. oldest diversionary trick in the world.....show me more than that, please!!

It is very easy to say those things. He is right about Tommie Frazier. And he is right about the changing nature of college football. It is hard to be dominant for the long term. That doesn't mean it is impossible, just that much harder. I have no complaints with BC yet. He has made progress each year, and this year will be another test for him, just like every other year. BC will be a great coach, when I don't think that he has something to prove...

he has a valid point with the option. but its only valid at certain positions. QB and WR(and Maybe OL but thats really a stretch) what does the option have to do with recruiting defense?

now that being said, I would say QB is our deepest position. we have a guy who is on heisman lists at QB right now and the battle that is going to be waged in the next few years is going to be incredible. between witt, lee, and gabbert thats a lot of talent. Our receiver could be stronger, but we have a lot of young depth at that position(except TE) I think if we get another big time WR to go along with paul, and can pick up a good TE with this years class we are totally set at that postion a well.

he has a valid point with the option. but its only valid at certain positions. QB and WR(and Maybe OL but thats really a stretch) what does the option have to do with recruiting defense?

now that being said, I would say QB is our deepest position. we have a guy who is on heisman lists at QB right now and the battle that is going to be waged in the next few years is going to be incredible. between witt, lee, and gabbert thats a lot of talent. Our receiver could be stronger, but we have a lot of young depth at that position(except TE) I think if we get another big time WR to go along with paul, and can pick up a good TE with this years class we are totally set at that postion a well.

Where is the heisman list? I have yet to see it.

Where is the heisman list? I have yet to see it.

listS as in from different media outlets, not the official. way way to early for that.

First - Callahan knows the JUCO recruiting needs to be toned down, but at this point, needs to be there to get Div-1A talent in spots lacking depth.

2nd - It is that way because Callahan didn't just ease away from the option - he buried it 6t deep and danced on its grave (somewhat of a mistake in my opinion). So... bearing that in mind - that's OK four years in. At 6 years in - then it's time to question the amount of JUCOs if the percentage stays that high.

Remember - we've had our recruiting bitten by Prop 48, injuries, impatient players, and some have just washed out.

As far as NU/Callahan never again reaching a 9-10-11 win consistency... uh, no. We've got our facilities back up to the elite level - and an administration who will not let it dip. BB and FS were too busy gazing into their cocktails to see how NU had slipped.

Plus, it's fashionable to bag on NU. And, people think that new coaches have to win in their first year.

In this day and age, the top players are looking for a team/coaches that can get them to the NFL (not all, but most of the high profile players). I think Cally and Co. will be able to provide that opportunity.

I think that Solich proved that the option was starting to decline as an effective offense in contemporary college football (I do not want to start a who "but he was 10-3" debate, for he also went 7-7 without the drastic overall). I do not think it was necessary his coaching or his recruiting. We all saw him trying to install more passing into his offenses, but he would never be as effective as Cally can be at doing so.

Yes, in the grand scheme, we are just another football team. All teams have ups and downs, ours has come during a time of severe ideology change and following the retirement of one of the top college coaching geniuses of all time.

We are climbing back to the top of the proverbial NCAA football hill. I am psyched for this season and the future. If others want to be debbie downers, skeptics, or Mark Mayish so be it. I bet they will change their attitude soon. I remember the time of "Osborne can't win the big one". Many wanted him canned. But, oh, when he won 1,2, then 3 NC's they were all about the "I knew it all along".

Redman...

I knew it all along.

...As far as NU/Callahan never again reaching a 9-10-11 win consistency... uh, no. We've got our facilities back up to the elite level - and an administration who will not let it dip. BB and FS were too busy gazing into their cocktails to see how NU had slipped.

Plus, it's fashionable to bag on NU. And, people think that new coaches have to win in their first year.

I tend to agree that we won't win "9-10-11" games consistantly with this offense.

That's the tradeoff with a passing attack..Especially on windy days.

We'll invariably have a QB that when "Hot" will burn any defense, but if he has a bad day, it's a loss.

8-10 times we would've beaten Miami in the '84 OB..But Kosar was hot that one night.

CyawcSC7oaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyawcSC7oaA

Some of the said... rings true.

We do have to compete for players that fit in better for our system in place now that were previously basically offlimits. Such as pocket QBs and big time receivers that thrive in passing attacks.

The book is still out on those other points. Never say never really. Some of those things about competing he could erase NU's name out and put in ISU's and then those statements sound more realistic (seeing ISU has never contended for a NC let alone a conference championship that I can remember).

Windy not letting passing be viable is a total cop out. Anyone forget to tell the Patriots that you cant throw in the wind and cold? How about Ohio State, or Michigan. Last time I checked, Ann Arbor is a cold and windy place in the winter too. And calling the WCO a pure passing attack is nuts also. 9-10-11 is possible to do on a regular basis.

There are still plenty of option teams, but with the exact offense we ran, you were not going to get a QB who could win you games if the run sputtered at all.

Did the brilliant writer consider that everything he says about us is even more true about the hawkeyes? Only they cant land the good recruits that often.

5 of 27 is by the bushel? and 4 of the 5 are 4 stars. Yeah terrible.

Back again, now that you guys have had your shot at them.

Basically my opinion of Callahan is positive. I think he's done a fine job with what's been given him. With Sollich, from what I understand, we had no reason to beleive anything good was going to happen in our near future. I don't particularly understand "the option is dead" argument, though, as that's been the case since Lincoln was president. In any case, our recruiting alone has given me hope. Once we see Keller/Witt/Gabbert run this offensive scheme, I do expect a lot of the "I knew it all along" crowd to surface. I for one am staking my claim here. Callahan is the future of Husker football. I actually admire the complexity of his system on a strategic level.

His tenure in the professional league offer something that 99% of schools in the nation can't offer. He and Pederson have updated our facilities to a new-car shine, and make progressive strides in hosting pro coaches from all over the country. So when I hear that guy's BS about never being able to win consistantly, I just shrug and laugh. Of course we're competing for the same talent pool! We're competing...and we're winning. In case nobody heard, we've got the number one prospects out of Mizzery, Michigan, and potentially Nebraska as well. Callahan's digging up kickers who are booting 60 yard field goals and athletes who can leave tracks of fire on the field when they run.

JUCO thing? Obvious. We need guys and we need them now. Part of building depth. I wouldn't expect a Cyclone to understand that concept, especially with their O-line.

Moreover I think the entire nonsensical rambling was simply a case of denial. He also believes that ISU is going to be competing for Big XII Championships here one of these days. Possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Nebraska is the rising star in the Big XII, and if you're smart, you realize that. We've got every external thing blowing our direction. Now all we need is some big, big games to cement ourselves as the power we've always been. And I expect to see that happen here in a couple weeks. Anyone with me?

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez