Local Bloviation

Redman...

I knew it all along.

...As far as NU/Callahan never again reaching a 9-10-11 win consistency... uh, no. We've got our facilities back up to the elite level - and an administration who will not let it dip. BB and FS were too busy gazing into their cocktails to see how NU had slipped.

Plus, it's fashionable to bag on NU. And, people think that new coaches have to win in their first year.

I tend to agree that we won't win "9-10-11" games consistantly with this offense.

That's the tradeoff with a passing attack..Especially on windy days.

There were 3 teams that finished in the top 25 in passing offense, rushing offense, scoring offense and total offense and NU was one of them...........not one game was played inside out of the "wind".....so exactly :wtf are you talking about? Sorry I didnt mean to mess up your baseless complaining with pesky facts.

Redman...

I knew it all along.

...As far as NU/Callahan never again reaching a 9-10-11 win consistency... uh, no. We've got our facilities back up to the elite level - and an administration who will not let it dip. BB and FS were too busy gazing into their cocktails to see how NU had slipped.

Plus, it's fashionable to bag on NU. And, people think that new coaches have to win in their first year.

I tend to agree that we won't win "9-10-11" games consistantly with this offense.

There were 3 teams that finished in the top 25 in passing offense, rushing offense, scoring offense and total offense and NU was one of them...........not one game was played inside out of the "wind".....so exactly :wtf are you talking about? Sorry I didnt mean to mess up your baseless complaining with pesky facts.

Woo..Top 25?

Nice "Facts"......what year/s?

And I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to lower my expectations..Sure we'll have 9-11 win seasons scattered around, but just not as consistently (like every season) as we got used to with Tom's power option/120yd passing games.

Now we'll be better able to come from behind than we were, but we're also a little more likely to have the Oklahoma States or Iowa States upset us out of the blue.

And I did mispeak about the wind a little..Cally's short passing game shouldn't be affected as much as the long passes (obviously) and it doesn't appear he will totally abandon the run anytime soon..But we're never going to be able to just "mail 'em in" anymore.

Windy not letting passing be viable is a total cop out. Anyone forget to tell the Patriots that you cant throw in the wind and cold? How about Ohio State, or Michigan. Last time I checked, Ann Arbor is a cold and windy place in the winter too. And calling the WCO a pure passing attack is nuts also. 9-10-11 is possible to do on a regular basis.

There are still plenty of option teams, but with the exact offense we ran, you were not going to get a QB who could win you games if the run sputtered at all....

I can name at least 5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWbx0i1UIY

KfWbx0i1UIY

Try this if the imbedded link wont work

& Total cop?

I never said "not viable".Just not as likely to win 9-11 games as consistently..I don't follow NFL teams much unless there's more than one Cornhusker playing for them, but I don't remember the Patriots or any NFL team consistently winning more than about half of their games..Sure the Dolphins had a perfect season back when I was still playing, but it's rare for a team to have less than 4 losses any season let alone "consistently".

Buckeye37 (My Wife) grew up in Columbus and graduated from "tOSU" and actually thinks Arizona is windy. :rollin

I haven't researched this but I suspect the reason why so many Nebraskans I grew up with are now bald is because of the wind.

And calling the WCO a pure passing attack is nuts also. 9-10-11 is possible to do on a regular basis.

Guilty as charged..I didn't exactly call the WCO a pure anything, but I was errantly thinking it..(although I still have a tendency to call it the "Corn Coast Offense"). But I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of running Callahan uses..Still miss the "Smash-mouth" FullBack Trap, though.

And if you play 15 game seasons, I guess 9-10-11 is possible..but probably not going to be every year like "we were used to".

I don't think it can be said that the success of the WCO is necessarily dependent on the run game. The basic philosophy behind the WCO/Walsh defense is to use the horizontal lanes to open up the vertical lanes for the longer passes & the running game. Although this requires receivers and backs with good hands and precisely timed routes, and a sharp accurate QB, there are numerous deviations from this basic strategy. I'd think if the running game is flat one possibility would be to concentrate on the short passes (horizontal lanes) to try and loosen up the defense against the run. I think it might be more accurate to say that the running and passing games go hand-in-hand. The strategy is to present the defense with a lot of weapons to try and handle.

I don't think it can be said that the success of the WCO is necessarily dependent on the run game. The basic philosophy behind the WCO/Walsh defense is to use the horizontal lanes to open up the vertical lanes for the longer passes & the running game. Although this requires receivers and backs with good hands and precisely timed routes, and a sharp accurate QB, there are numerous deviations from this basic strategy. I'd think if the running game is flat one possibility would be to concentrate on the short passes (horizontal lanes) to try and loosen up the defense against the run. I think it might be more accurate to say that the running and passing games go hand-in-hand. The strategy is to present the defense with a lot of weapons to try and handle.

Your right there are many variations to the WCO, Bill Walsh's WCO and BC's are very different from what I have seen so far. The TE was an intergal part of his offesnse and that slant route put Jerry Rice in the Hall.

BCs WCO is more smash mouth style with alot of out passes and digs.

I miss the option, but I don't care what offense is run, JUST WIN BABY

First off, the offense we ran in the Solich era was NOT the offense Osborne ran, not even close. The last couple years amounted to how many ways can you run the QB draw. After Crouch left, we didnt have anything resembling a passing attack. And while option is viable, it NEEDS to be coupled with passing. Take a look at the offense Urban Meyer runs, or West Virginia for examples. What we were running wasnt going to get the good dual threat QBs.

And to think there was going to be any change to make the offense more viable, like the spread option teams, all one has to do is look at the Ohio. The WCO does work. And will work just fine in cold and wind. There are plenty of examples of it working just fine in winter weather.

For the Partiots sence 2002 thier worst record is 9-7, with two 14-2 seasons mixed in. Mich has 2 seasons sence 2002 with less than 10 wins, and one was a 9 win record.

Redman...

I knew it all along.

Woo..Top 25?

Nice "Facts"......what year/s?

And I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to lower my expectations..Sure we'll have 9-11 win seasons scattered around, but just not as consistently (like every season) as we got used to with Tom's power option/120yd passing games.

Now we'll be better able to come from behind than we were, but we're also a little more likely to have the Oklahoma States or Iowa States upset us out of the blue.

we're never going to be able to just "mail 'em in" anymore.

To finish in the top 25 in all 4 major offensive catagories last year was a huge accomplishment, hardly worth your condescending "woo". I still am missing your "why" in the reason we will not win 9 games consistantly, you seem to just blurt out baseless predictions. Granted we are all talking out of our a$$ right now in August, but most have some info that they are basing thier oppinion on, I've apperently missed yours.

How does this offense give ISU and OSU some new advantage?

Mail em in? Apperantly Arizona State forgot to pick up the mail in 96.

First off, the offense we ran in the Solich era was NOT the offense Osborne ran, not even close. The last couple years amounted to how many ways can you run the QB draw. After Crouch left, we didnt have anything resembling a passing attack. And while option is viable, it NEEDS to be coupled with passing. Take a look at the offense Urban Meyer runs, or West Virginia for examples. What we were running wasnt going to get the good dual threat QBs.

And to think there was going to be any change to make the offense more viable, like the spread option teams, all one has to do is look at the Ohio. The WCO does work. And will work just fine in cold and wind. There are plenty of examples of it working just fine in winter weather.

For the Partiots sence 2002 thier worst record is 9-7, with two 14-2 seasons mixed in. Mich has 2 seasons sence 2002 with less than 10 wins, and one was a 9 win record.

Who's Solich?

I vaquely remember a Freshman Coach my 1st year at UNL with that name..

Kidding..I'm still trying to forget the Solich era.

Still not sure why you're bringing up Mechicken or some Patriots or keep using the word "sence"

Do you really think it's near as windy there as it is On the Plains?

Think Osborn would've survived in Lincoln with a 9-7 record? (I'd LIKE to think so, but doubt it w/o having won a MNC or two 1st).

To finish in the top 25 in all 4 major offensive catagories last year was a huge accomplishment, hardly worth your condescending "woo". I still am missing your "why" in the reason we will not win 9 games consistantly, you seem to just blurt out baseless predictions. Granted we are all talking out of our a$$ right now in August, but most have some info that they are basing thier oppinion on, I've apperently missed yours.

There are, as they say, lies, damn lies, and statistics <---- (Interesting article with (some) significance to our subject)

Sorry if I was condescending..and you're right, that was a great accomplishment, but top 25 is never a goal around here, at least I hope it never gets that bad.

But I see what you're saying, this shows we were pretty well balanced, which I always secretly wanted from Ozzy.

The main benefit this offense gives all of our opponents is more time of possession. With the "run first/set up the pass" you pretty much Hog the ball (the best Defense is an Offense that won't let you have the ball).

If you consistently pass every 1st and 2nd down, you'll probably have more 3&outs...wearing out our Defense faster.

Apperantly Arizona State forgot to pick up the mail in 96.
ASU had a tremendous season that year..And it didn't hurt that their toughest opponent had 4 starting O-linemen puking the morning of the game from some mysterious illness...Thank God we bring our own bottled water now.

If you consistently pass every 1st and 2nd down, you'll probably have more 3&outs

That is unless you complete the pass....................... <_<

Here in my home state there's a weekly show that runs during football season which I like to watch for it's length and general good, solid coverage (with brief commercial breaks) of college football. It's called Cy-Hawk Talk: State of the Nations. This week the guys, who are both talented casters, in my opinion, are breaking down what they think the future of the Hawks and Cyclones.

But somewhere in the midst of the Cyclone preview, the commentator had some pretty negative things to say about Nebraska, Bill Callahan, and the future of our team. His points were:

1) Nebraska is just another team because we no longer run the option. We now have to recruit the same players as the rest of the nation because our system is virtually the same. When Touchdown Tommy came out of college, he had very limited options where he could play and play early. Nebraska among those was the only real choice.

2) Nebraska has not and can not win big games. Eg. Oklahoma, Auburn, Texas, USC, etc.

3) Bill Callahan might win a Big XII championship or two, but Nebraska will never––never––be a yearly 9/10/11 win team, consistently playing for BCS and championship games like we were.

4) For all Callahan's recruiting prowess, four years in we're still recruiting JUCOs by the bushel. Not a good sign.

I have my own thoughts about about his idears about our team, but I'll open the floor to you fine people. Whaddya think? (Although for a hint, Blaine Gabbert comes to mind for a variety of reasons; what he represents in our recruiting as well as what he will soon do for us.)

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Interesting thoughts on NU.

For comparison, what were their thoughts on ISU?