Boundry Waters

BIGREDIOWAN

Has anyone ever been to Boundry Waters in Northern Minnesota??? I had one of the guys at work telling me about it and I was wondering how it is??? I know nothing about it and their website kinda sucks. :dunno

My nephew just went there for his freshmen orientation/retreat weekend for St. John's. I'll ask him what he thought of it and let you know.

• 8 months later...

I've been there before. I went for a two-week canoeing trip throughout many of the interconnected lakes on both the Canadian and US sides. I have to say that it was pretty awesome. I don't have much experience fishing, but still managed to catch some pretty good sized smallmouth bass, walleye and northern pike.

We would spend 5-7 hours a day rowing through the lakes, in 3 person canoes. Two would row, one would rest. Set up camp and fish for dinner at night. Most of the lakes are connected by small streams, but you do occasionally have to portage your canoe. It's not bad, but I went with a group of 15-18 year old guys. I imagine that small kids would have a tough time carrying canoes.

The scenery is amazing. I went in the summer, and the bugs were very thick, not to mention gigantic. Pack plenty of repellent.

• 8 months later...

I have been on two week long trips up there and I have to agree with DCA that it was pretty awesome. You can plan a variety of routes with all of the lakes up there. The best is to stay off of the few big lakes that allow 10mph motor powered boats. The fishing is awesome, had a great time. Look at outfitter sites like Cliff Wolds, they have a lot of good information.

I have been on two week long trips up there and I have to agree with DCA that it was pretty awesome. You can plan a variety of routes with all of the lakes up there. The best is to stay off of the few big lakes that allow 10mph motor powered boats. The fishing is awesome, had a great time. Look at outfitter sites like Cliff Wolds, they have a lot of good information.

Have to agree Caveman. Some of the best fishing there is. The musky fishing is awesome too, they like deer tail jigs in the shallows.

• 1 year later...

Have to agree Caveman. Some of the best fishing there is. The musky fishing is awesome too, they like deer tail jigs in the shallows.

I'm pretty sure the only lake in the Boundary Waters that actually has Muskie is East Pike Lake. Anyways, if you are interested in taking a trip, there are a couple of good route planning books out there and also check out BWCA.com, lots of knowledgable and friendly folks there. I have gone for a week trip the last two years and I loved it. It's not for everyone though, make sure you are careful who you bring along, as bringing along a pu&&y who doesn't like to be outdoors could ruin your trip. I didn't make a trip report or video from 2010 yet, but here is my trip report from 2009:

http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=trip.report_view&sel_trp_id=1474