Some USC Gossip

Husker_x

Trojan, was Cushing's injury a high ankle sprain? I was trying to watch the game last night, but I was about halfway asleep when that game was on. From what I remember, I think it was, but I could very easily be wrong.

I certainly hope he is back for the Nebraska game, but looking from that play (a viciously dirty play I might add) he was almost lucky to get a mild injury and not a broken bone or torn knee ligaments.

So did Carol really coach this game or did he set up a beach chair so he could drink Piña Coladas while hitting on the cheerleaders?

Hey the topic was USC gossip! :)

hey, i've seen the song girls and they are smokin' hot. i'd chat them up too if the didn't mace me on sight.

but some of them aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the kitchen drawer.

submitted for your approval...

Brcl8U0jHto

niiiiiiice...

I'm getting the sense that a few people are misunderstanding my intent. I realize quite obviously that very little can be guaged from this one showing of a talented, deep SC team. I saw half the game, and yes, the playcalling was reserved. More or less all I'm saying is that if Trends X and Y continue into the Nebraska game, then Z might be the result. As for the extra week to prepare for Nebraska, I'm of two minds. On the one hand, extra time means more practice, more film study, and more preperation. Nice advantage. On the other hand, if Callahan's gameplan stays somewhat stagnant, there's nothing to prepare for. Your basic defense, based upon the film you'll have to watch, will tell you to put 8-9 guys in the box and push, hoping that Lucky doesn't slip into your secondary or that Castille doesn't explode into your secondary. Our advantage in NOT having a week off is we get to prepare against a real team in a real game situation. We will be forced to do things that simply can't be simulated in practice, and THEN we have a week to prepare to host the Trojans.

But anyway, basically I think what can be safely gleaned from the first game is one of two things. A.) SC has to shake off a bit more rust defensively; they didn't get stomped, by any means, but for being "the best defense ever," I didn't expect petty Idaho to put up 10 points. Then there's option B.) Thou art mortal, so beware. I give ESPN a lot of kudos for hyping you guys up. It'll make your fall all that much more brilliant. And it'll happen, sooner or later. I'm hoping somewhere in the neighborhood of Sept. 15, but that'll be settled on the gridiron.

I'm not calling the game here based on Idaho, but I certainly don't believe Nebraska is going to lay down and die. We're going to pound the rock, throw the deep ball, scratch, kick, bite and claw for every inch of ground. We've got a lot more to prove than SC, and sometimes that makes all the difference. Just ask Michigan.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Trojan, was Cushing's injury a high ankle sprain? I was trying to watch the game last night, but I was about halfway asleep when that game was on. From what I remember, I think it was, but I could very easily be wrong.

I certainly hope he is back for the Nebraska game, but looking from that play (a viciously dirty play I might add) he was almost lucky to get a mild injury and not a broken bone or torn knee ligaments.

The latest report on Cushing is in fact a high ankle sprain and he is doubtful for the NU game. 5 star backups or not this will be a big loss for SC, dude is a stud and not easily replaced.

SC didnt need to show any thing offensively, its Idaho....... I was a little intregued by the way thier defense played. What I saw was a team of rediculously fast players, that played wreckless as hell. They flew to the ball........and past the ball. Defensive speed and arogance can be a dangerous combination when everyone on thier team has someone clawing at thier heels on the depth chart demanding them to make a big play to keep thier spot.........this can be exploited. Overpursuit can work to our advantage, playaction, draws, screens and some trickery will have a huge effect if they continue to play that way. <_<

SC didnt need to show any thing offensively, its Idaho....... I was a little intregued by the way thier defense played. What I saw was a team of rediculously fast players, that played wreckless as hell. They flew to the ball........and past the ball. Defensive speed and arogance can be a dangerous combination when everyone on thier team has someone clawing at thier heels on the depth chart demanding them to make a big play to keep thier spot.........this can be exploited. Overpursuit can work to our advantage, playaction, draws, screens and some trickery will have a huge effect if they continue to play that way. <_<

Absolutely!

i watched most of the game too. seemed like SC wasn't running any extra coverages i the scondary, looked like cover 2 all nite, (which prevents big pass plays), hardly blizted, and seemed a little too overanxious on pursuit (meaning trying to make highlight knockout hits). i expect them to be much more aggressive and sound in coverages and tackling when they play us.

their offense, seriously, didn't seem extremely explosive like it has the couple years (but who CAN replace bush & co.?). even though they ran the most basic plays and vanilla offense ever, just their pure athletic advantage seemed like they should have busted more big plays.

have said all that, i'm sure they will be more than up to the task in Lincoln. but, maybe should be gettin ready for more of a rumble :box

If you want all of the inside information on USC, I suggest this site: http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/ (basically USC version of Huskerboard).

I want to warn you however, there are a lot haters and just plain idiots who post on this site.

Yes, this is a great site, unfortunately there are some real sorry individuals on the socal board. Not as bad here however. Some of the same but not as many. Welcome, its good to have another Trojan. Most of these Huskers are first class.

I'm getting the sense that a few people are misunderstanding my intent. I realize quite obviously that very little can be guaged from this one showing of a talented, deep SC team. I saw half the game, and yes, the playcalling was reserved. More or less all I'm saying is that if Trends X and Y continue into the Nebraska game, then Z might be the result. As for the extra week to prepare for Nebraska, I'm of two minds. On the one hand, extra time means more practice, more film study, and more preperation. Nice advantage. On the other hand, if Callahan's gameplan stays somewhat stagnant, there's nothing to prepare for. Your basic defense, based upon the film you'll have to watch, will tell you to put 8-9 guys in the box and push, hoping that Lucky doesn't slip into your secondary or that Castille doesn't explode into your secondary. Our advantage in NOT having a week off is we get to prepare against a real team in a real game situation. We will be forced to do things that simply can't be simulated in practice, and THEN we have a week to prepare to host the Trojans.

But anyway, basically I think what can be safely gleaned from the first game is one of two things. A.) SC has to shake off a bit more rust defensively; they didn't get stomped, by any means, but for being "the best defense ever," I didn't expect petty Idaho to put up 10 points. Then there's option B.) Thou art mortal, so beware. I give ESPN a lot of kudos for hyping you guys up. It'll make your fall all that much more brilliant. And it'll happen, sooner or later. I'm hoping somewhere in the neighborhood of Sept. 15, but that'll be settled on the gridiron.

I'm not calling the game here based on Idaho, but I certainly don't believe Nebraska is going to lay down and die. We're going to pound the rock, throw the deep ball, scratch, kick, bite and claw for every inch of ground. We've got a lot more to prove than SC, and sometimes that makes all the difference. Just ask Michigan.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

I thought Appalachian State looked better than USC. The mounting injuries and SC's poor performance has me not as "arrogant" as I usually am.

TarheelTrojan, I looked at the box score and saw that Patrick Turner didn't get a reception...did he play? I'm curious, what happened there? He was supposed to be the go-to guy, right?

Anyway, I can't really comment on SCs performance, since I didn't watch or listen to any of it. I can only say that we'll have our hands more than full on September 15th.