Harrison Beck

np_husker

QB Beck earns starting role at N.C. State

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Nebraska transfer Harrison Beck will start at quarterback for North Carolina State this week at Boston College, coach Tom O'Brien said Monday.

Beck came off the bench and gave the team a second-half spark last week, completing 17 of 28 passes for 207 yards with two touchdowns in the Wolfpack's 25-23 loss to Central Florida. North Carolina State trailed 25-3 at halftime before Beck led the rally that ultimately fell short.

"Doing some of the things he did was impressive," O'Brien said. "He deserves this start right now. We certainly can't ever go back to playing the way we played the first half. We have to continue on and build upon the second half and get better from there."

Beck and Daniel Evans battled throughout the preseason, and it wasn't until five days before the opener that Evans was awarded the starting job.

But Evans, who started the final nine games of last season, was plagued by ineffective play. His first series ended when he threw an interception that set up a UCF field goal, and two series later he was sacked in the end zone for a safety.

"We made an evaluation and we thought Daniel had done the best job in preseason camp, which he did," O'Brien said. "There are some guys that play better in games, and you don't know about that until you put them in games.

"Practice situation is different — you go back to that game Saturday night, that's the way we practiced. We were up and down. That's exactly what we were. We were horrible the first half. It was like we had never even played the game of football."

Beck relieved Evans with about four minutes left in the first half and the Wolfpack down 22-3, and he nearly led N.C. State to a remarkable comeback.

The sophomore from Clearwater, Fla., threw fourth-quarter touchdown passes covering 6 yards to Pat Bedics and 14 yards to Donald Bowens, and he led the Wolfpack inside UCF territory in the closing seconds before his last-gasp pass was intercepted.

"I think he was a much better decision-maker than we had seen previously, distributed the ball where it was supposed to go, controlled the offense a little better and made some nice throws," O'Brien said. "The ball was on the money."

Tight end Marcus Stone understands how both players feel. He started last season at quarterback, but lost the job and switched positions.

"I haven't said much, because I know both of them are going through a lot mentally, because I was in their shoes," Stone said. "I've let both of them know that if you need somebody to talk to that's been in your shoes, I'm here if you need me, you guys have got my number, and I left it at that."

I posted this earlier saying that I was wrong and a lot of you were right.

Callahan is a great recruiter and that's all that matters. The only problem is he mishandled Beck and now he is starting for a different team. Good recruiter, bad team manager.

Why does everyone slam Beck. He was mistreated and misused while he was here. Everyone raved about how great he is and then he wants to leave (for very good reasons) and everyone thinks he sucks. Well, I guess he doesn't suck that bad.

I don't know about all the mishandling, but there were a few things that pop up. BC told him he wouldn't bring in any other QB's. Then, BC asks him if it's ok to pick up a juco QB. Beck agrees that it's ok. Beck's supposed redshirt year gets burned for a couple of plays. Who says Ganz doesn't make that pass against KState?

In Beck's mind, I truelly believe he thought last year he would be the starting QB for NU. I think early on after the 05 season he could see that he would not be starting in 06. Just like every other hotshot recruit out there, he wanted to play as early as possible. He's going to get his opportunity now.

If Keller is a darkhorse for the Heisman, I guess I don't understand the hate towards Beck. Would any of you feel more comfortable having Beck under center this year over Keller? Keller sure as hell wouldn't even be here if Beck would have stayed. If Beck stays, do we get Witt or Gabbert? I would say we get maybe one of the two.

I don't know about all the mishandling, but there were a few things that pop up. BC told him he wouldn't bring in any other QB's. Then, BC asks him if it's ok to pick up a juco QB. Beck agrees that it's ok. Beck's supposed redshirt year gets burned for a couple of plays. Who says Ganz doesn't make that pass against KState?

Is that really how it went down? It doesn't seem like BC's style to guarantee a starting spot to any new player. He made Keller earn it this year. Also, when did they start recruiting Josh Freeman? That had to have happened when Beck was with the program.

I agree about the K State game, though. I don't know if there was a reason to burn his redshirt for that one series. Other than that, though, I don't know why he didn't just gut it out last season and start this year. Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year in '06 and was absolutely invaluable to the program during his career. I can't imagine the size of ego it takes to think that your progression in your sophomore year is more important than having the best, most experienced player in control of your team's offense.

Is that really how it went down? It doesn't seem like BC's style to guarantee a starting spot to any new player. He made Keller earn it this year. Also, when did they start recruiting Josh Freeman? That had to have happened when Beck was with the program.

I agree about the K State game, though. I don't know if there was a reason to burn his redshirt for that one series. Other than that, though, I don't know why he didn't just gut it out last season and start this year. Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year in '06 and was absolutely invaluable to the program during his career. I can't imagine the size of ego it takes to think that your progression in your sophomore year is more important than having the best, most experienced player in control of your team's offense.

he was told that he would be the only QB recruit for that year, then BC got his permission to bring in ZT.

I Bleed Red---

as for BC being a bad team manager, do you have any clue as to what transpired with Beck leaving? check out my response to your topic about BC being a great recruiter

Well Gabbert should be a stud and he still would have committed here I believe and this is why. If Beck started this year as a redshirt sophmore he would have been happy with that. This is the reason he said ok to Taylor. He would start for 3 years and then Gabbert would start as a redshirt soph. That is what a recruit wants. Not many QB's will ever demand to start as a frosh.

Callahan would have never promised him a starting job but once his redshirt was taken away he wanted to get in there. BC should have used him more to at least get experience the rest of the year and then he could have competed fairly for the starting job. If Florida can get 2 players time so can BC but he wanted Beck to only throw 1 pass....nice!