Michigan Drops from Polls

Husker 42

Based on one game Michigan, ranked #5 going in, drops from the polls altogether! That's kind of amazing, even in view of their opponent. How could a team be so overrated? What does this say about rankings, polls, those who do the ranking? Does anyone think that Michigan will just roll over now and have a losing season?

What nonsense!

it is ridiculous to drop them out of the top 25 when you put them top 5....they lost, everyone does and with new NCAA rules now anyone can be beat...i know it was 1AA but some of those teams have good player and would beat many, many lower 1A teams consistantly... just shows ranking dont mean much this early

Based on one game Michigan, ranked #5 going in, drops from the polls altogether! That's kind of amazing, even in view of their opponent. How could a team be so overrated? What does this say about rankings, polls, those who do the ranking? Does anyone think that Michigan will just roll over now and have a losing season?

What nonsense!

I really wish the polls (not just BCS, but Coaches and AP), wouldn't come out until October. We would have a month to see what each team has and the polls might actually make sense.

I totally agree. The Polls are rediculous! What's more, USC came out on pre-polls as number one?!!! I'm sorry, but isn't the number one team (as much as I HATE FLORIDA) still number one until they lose???

Polls are for gamblers...straight up. And fodder for media. Otherwise, the rest of us normal, sports-loving folks should just IGNORE them.

I really wish the polls (not just BCS, but Coaches and AP), wouldn't come out until October. We would have a month to see what each team has and the polls might actually make sense.

:yeah

By then every one could/should have played a somewhat challenging game and been on the road. However, you will never stop media outlets and 'experts' from making pre-season and beginning season picks and rankings. It will never happen.

Here's one thing that I have always wondered. If a higher ranked team beats a lower ranked team....why should the lower drop? Example: If next weekend USC is still #1 and NU is ranked, say #15, and USC wins by 7-14 pts (I know...how could I predict such a thing?!?!?)....why should we drop? Everyone has USC as their favorite....the spread will likely be 7+ points....if we play well, but lose....why would we drop to #20 or something of that sort?

Yes, I'm Half-Husker, but my Mom attended Michigan State. I'm a self-proclaimed surrogate alumni of MSU. Even though I'm from Michigan, and I ordinarily root for "Meechigan" (except against any MAC schools and of course, Michigan State), I took some delight in the loss to App. State!

Just wish my alma mater had a better showing in Lawrence...<sigh>

What most folks don't realize is App. State is two-time national champions of I-AA. OK, OK I already hear y'all about 2-A schools...but I know Wolverine football well enough to know they expedted a total cream-puff in App. State. They're looking ahead to the Big Game (against State) and to the Ohio St. game, and that's where the coaching staff failed their players. College coaches, live and learn!!

I hope I can see some Nebraska games this year...

They ought to be out of the top 25 after that debacle. I listened to the game on the radio and they had absolutely NOTHING going for them, on either side of the ball or on the coaching staff. Our 5-6 squad from 2004 could've whipped them.

I also predict that they will lose to Oregon this Saturday. Oregon runs a very similar style of offense compared to Appalachian State, and Michigan didn't seem to have the speed on the field or the wisdom up in the booth to adjust. I think the only thing that kept Appalachian State from running away on Saturday (you'll remember that they were a dropped pass away from being up 37-20 early in the third quarter), was simple conditioning. Even if they are they the two-time FCS national champ, I'd still expect any Div. I squad to be better conditioned. They got tired and Michigan climbed back into the game, until adrenaline kicked in and Appalachian State mounted that final drive and then blocked that field goal.

I don't see Oregon running into that problem, or Penn State. Of course, in between Oregon and Penn State, Michigan plays Notre Dame. That oughta be fun.