NU Beats USC... Tear Goalpost Down?

huskerguy

Good luck with it. I vaguely remember watching a game after the supposed rebuild of the goalposts where husker fans had rushed the field, guys were bouncing on both arms making the whole thing sway back and forth before they cut away the TV coverage, and I don't think the crowd was able to tear them down.

I'd love to see it though!! I just think that you tear down goalposts at the END of the season before you go to the national championship or Big 12 championship, not in the middle of the season. It IS the biggest game this year, and one of the biggest since Osborne, it's a night game, we'll have national coverage, and USC is going to be sleeping at the wheel when they roll into Lincoln. When the conditions are right, the fierce storm takes you by surprise!!!

First time poster here.

I remember hearing a few years ago that the old goalposts were removed and they poured "many" feet of concrete and installed goalposts that would be almost impossible to tear down. Anyone else hear of that?

When was the last time they were actually torn down in Lincoln? I remember hearing about frats carrying them out of the stadium to their after-parties and parading them down O Street about 10 years ago (rumors maybe), but nothing after that.

I believe they are collapsable. When they installed new ones at Hastings COllege (my alma mater) they made reference to them being similar to the ones at UNL. They are designed to shift and slant all the way to, I believe, 45 Degrees.

Did anyone see the goal posts at a stadium last week? I cant remember the game but they are in two pieces and the stadium crew took them off before the students stormed the field....CRAP WHAT GAME WAS THAT...

I was on the field for a goal post tearing down event once, it's incredibly dangerous. It's a bad idea, and an outdated one at that.

I recall being at the Iowa State game a number of years ago when they beat us in Ames. They tried to bring the goal posts down, they were at it for quite awhile, but I don't think they ever got it down. I remember my dad making the comment, "This is supposed to be a strong engineering school? And they can't even bring a goal post down?"

( A ) Take care of Wake Forest

( B ) Forget tearing down the goal posts.......tear down the entire College Gameday set (Including Corso and Crying Kirk) and parade them down O-Street

Husker Nation doesn't replicate.....we innovate.

WINNER!!! :w00t:w00t:w00t

Maybe the night before, sneak into the stadium, cut the tops off the goal posts and fill them with gunpowder and a remote detonator..so it sparks like a roman candle after the game.

I remember watching ASU fans tearing down the posts after their "Nineteen ta Nuthin" victory over us in '96?

I was impressed with their team until I saw that..Not sure why. I guess the fact that they'd beaten us before to preserve an undefeated season under Frank Kush, Made me think they'd be above it by then.

I still say the old folks should give it a try, though...It'd be more of a statement than having the usual suspects doing it.

That sounds like the Clemson, Florida St. game, where the final play was under review and the students were forced off the field twice before they could fully storm it?

Edit - I don't specifically remember them being in two pieces, though.

Yeah that was the game. The top was like a mechanical piece that lowered to the field. THey showed a quick shot of the goal posts at the opposite end of the field. They had the cross bar and uprights laying down while the post was still standing. Maybe i was drunk and am remembering it wrong....I dont know but I know i remember it was a pretty good idea.

I've been on the field a couple of times when goal posts were being torn down, and another time when they had greased them to prevent it. I recognize the potential for danger, but I think anyone on the field kind of assumes the risk that something might go wrong. It was my choice, and no one could be blamed if I was injured, but me. Thankfully I did that about 20 years ago, because today I would probably be arrested and branded a felon (the last guy to run on the field at a Cubs game is being charged with a felony!).

Anyway, if we beat USC this weekend, and the goal posts come down, I would say it is about more than a simple victory over USC. It would be a celebration of the statement to the college football world that "We're Back!"

Has it ever been done at memorial stadium?

Yes...but I can't remember the exact year. Pieces were paraded down O Street. Was it Colorado?

Don't know when the last time was but they use to come down when they beat Oklahoma. I was on the field for one of them in the 80's. I think it was the first year of probation for Oklahoma and the first time the Nebraska vs Oklahoma game wasn't on TV because of the probation.

Has it ever been done at memorial stadium?

Yes...but I can't remember the exact year. Pieces were paraded down O Street. Was it Colorado?

Don't know when the last time was but they use to come down when they beat Oklahoma. I was on the field for one of them in the 80's. I think it was the first year of probation for Oklahoma and the first time the Nebraska vs Oklahoma game wasn't on TV because of the probation.

1994 Colorado. I was there.

I was on the field for a goal post tearing down event once, it's incredibly dangerous. It's a bad idea, and an outdated one at that.

I recall being at the Iowa State game a number of years ago when they beat us in Ames. They tried to bring the goal posts down, they were at it for quite awhile, but I don't think they ever got it down. I remember my dad making the comment, "This is supposed to be a strong engineering school? And they can't even bring a goal post down?"

I went to ISU and they put in idestructable goal posts. Mainly because everytime they would get a win, which isnt and wasnt much they would tear them down. They were tearing them down when they would beat Baylor. It was like a tradition, everytime they won the goal posts would come down. Since they have put them in I have seen them try to tear them down a few times, each with no success.