Any Given Saturday

I was doing a presentation this afternoon and during the presentation someone asked a question on why individuals in the business word take everything for granite. I asked them give an elaborate of their question; what they wanted to know was, why do sales individuals always look ahead for the larger sell and not want the smaller sell could mean for the business.

I will not go into detail on my answer; however, on my way back to the office, I started to think about Nebraska Football and the upcoming games.

I honesty believe, that all Nebraska fans are looking forward to the large game (USC) and not looking out for the smaller game (Wake Forest).

On any given Saturday, anyone can get beat as we witnessed last week with Michigan. I guess my point is we all talk about the USC game including myself; however, if we do not win this Saturday, that game could be pointless in some eyes.

I just hope that this Nebraska team is not focused on next week and forgets about Wake Forest; if they do, we will get beat.

This may be way out of line for this discussion board and if so, I apologize.

I think the players and coaches are not looking ahead too much and are very much focused on Wake this weekend. But at the same time, it doesn't always hurt to look forward a little, as long as you are not obsessing about it. I would actually be upset if the coaches hadn't made up a draft gameplan for USC. I mean, look how fast a week goes by. If they weren't looking forward, there simply wouldn't be enough time to prepare for USC the week after the Wake game. Once the players know the plays, they have to execute to the best of their ability. That's all we can ask for.

I was doing a presentation this afternoon and during the presentation someone asked a question on why individuals in the business word take everything for granite.

Yeah, I hate rocks. :)

I think the players probably find it considerably easier to focus. I mean, coaches set up practice during the week to focus on THIS coming opponent, not next Saturday's. I think we're just buzzed about the game for obvious reasons and since all WE get to do is shoot the breeze on a message board, we get distracted.

I think the coaches are just bending the perception of reality for these players a little bit this week. They have probally put in some plays this week that they have been told is for Wake Forest but in all actuallity it is for USC. It is all going to come down to execution in both the WF and the USC game, as long as the players are executing then we should be in good shape.

Thanks to App. St. they opened everybodys eyes for a big reality check.

Guess the Pony Express didn't get the word to Oregon State and Louisville, based on their performances tonight.... <_<

:yeah

Man, Louisville and MTSU played NO defense whatsover...every receiver was open by 15 yards constantly.

Totally agree. Everyone is assuming a win on Saturday and getting pumped for USC, which is fine if we don't lose. But how many fans will get deflated with a loss before USC?

I'm really not too worried about the fans being deflated. How deflated would the team be the week before the USC game if we lose to Wake? This is what worries me the most.

I don't necessarily agree that any given Saturday a huge underdog can win. I agree if it's within the first couple of games in a season, but how many huge upsets have there been like the Michigan one in the middle to later part of the season? Last year, Cal was preseason #5 and knocked off by I believe unranked Tennessee. Cal finished the season fairly strong. Early games, we do see some big upsets. However, later in the season it rarely happens. I remember years ago how Florida State would always lay an egg within the first 3 games of their season. By season's end, they were probably the best team out there but didn't get to play for the title because of an early loss. IMO, this is why we need a playoff. Sometimes the best teams at the end of the season get no shot because of an early loss. If there were a playoff, we truelly would know who the champion really is. Last week may be a huge wakeup call for Michigan players. They may not lose another game the rest of the season, and they may be the best team at the end of the season. However, I highly doubt they're a contender anymore.