Can we please

billdozer15

Stop talking about how Cally hasn't opened up the playbook and he is waiting for the USC game to do so. What makes anyone think that is the case? We have been saying this for the last 3 years! There hasn't been one game where I have seen an opened up playbook, NOT ONE! This notion that after three years Callahan still has more plays to bring out is absolutely ludicruis. Mix in some misdirection, playaction, rollouts (i thought keller was supposedly functionaly mobile), something other than straight ahead running or passing. The teams we play know exactly what play is coming before we do, even with all this garbage of shifting at the line of scrimmage. The only thing the shifting does is confuse our own players and we get an average of 3 delay of game penalties per game because of it. I just want to see some execution of misdirection and non-telegraphed playcalling.

Please Callahan I beg of you, show me something this year. I want to believe, i love the skers but unless i see some sort of a playbook this year i am going to begin lossing faith. I have been a BC backer from the beginning but i need some reassurance. (I had to get that off my chest, let the flogging begin)

I guess some people think there are some sort of magic plays that the earth has never seen before. I don't get it.

Oh and as for the rest of the post. Meh. We've been over the idea of shifting, etc, etc a million times. If people don't get it now, they won't.

It's hard to say if he has or hasn't opened up the playbook. It's a viscious cycle. Calling a conservative game at Wake to not give too much to USC. Well, maybe we'll call a conservative game at USC as to not give Missouri and Texas too much info. I think talent is where we're lacking. When you start people this year who were burned last year, that says-this is the best we have to work with now.

I guess some people think there are some sort of magic plays that the earth has never seen before. I don't get it.

Oh and as for the rest of the post. Meh. We've been over the idea of shifting, etc, etc a million times. If people don't get it now, they won't.

:yeah

You can try and explain it until you're blue in the face Dave. Some people will never get it!

There are no magic plays and he isn't making it simple for the younger guys b/c there aren't any frosh or soph throwing passes or lining up except for Castille so that argument is flawed also. Callahan is a straight forward X-O's kind of coach. He designs plays he thinks will be effective and then he tries to execute them. His style will probably not work against faster more athletic teams...hence why we lose to those types of teams.

You can try and explain it until you're blue in the face Dave. Some people will never get it!

:yeah:bang

It's hard to say if he has or hasn't opened up the playbook. It's a viscious cycle. Calling a conservative game at Wake to not give too much to USC. Well, maybe we'll call a conservative game at USC as to not give Missouri and Texas too much info. I think talent is where we're lacking. When you start people this year who were burned last year, that says-this is the best we have to work with now.

Sadly, I think the problem is that the offense is so complicated that BC only feels comfortable calling the same 10 to 15 plays, which makes it look like he's being conservative.

Sadly, I think the problem is that the offense is so complicated that BC only feels comfortable calling the same 10 to 15 plays, which makes it look like he's being conservative.

:blink:

So all this talk I keep hearing about a giant playbook is BS?

So all this talk I keep hearing about a giant playbook is BS?

No. It indeed exists. In some form. Not sure if it's all gathered in one bound book or binder.

However, week to week, the coaches give the players the plays they will utilize that week for that opponent. A subset of the entire book if you will.

Over a course of a players career, they might learn quite a bit of the "book" but they aren't asked to memorize every play Callahan has devised, ever.