Complex Offense

Travis9

its a confusing situation. Our offense looks bland and straightforward. its looked this way since Cally took over. HOWEVER, we continuously hear how complex and difficult it is as the answer to why the younger faster more upside kids arent playing.

Im confused. if it is so dam complex then why are we as fans able to call run or pass before the play is ran. if it is so complex then why is it one set of players for a run and another for a pass. if it is so dam complex then why on 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 do we go tight formation off tackle.

It seems as if we are talking out of both sides of our mouth.

if it is so damn complex then show me the complexity. If its not then get some different playmakers on the field. Dont tell me that the youngsters dont know the offense because our offense looks very basic to me.

Damn I'm old...I remember hearing the same argument about Tom Osborne.

I'm not convinced about the complexities, but maybe about the shifting...

Still, keep in mind, your favorite freshman who may get into the game has a limited playbook that he has to choose from. And later in a close game, do you run that play with a 'cold' player who has very limited experience and hope it works out? How much sh*t does Callahan catch when a true freshman fumbles the game away because NU tries to get everyone 'athletic' involved?

i dont disagree with you at all. I believe WR is the one position where a true Frosh can play and even excel. RB QB Line no but WR yes.

More to the point i guess is the multiple personnel packages that truly give away the play.

I think Purify is damn good, or best weapon yet he only plays about a 1/3 of the plays. Mario Manningham, jarrett last year, calvin johnson last year ted Ginn the list goes on and on they played damn near every snap. Why dont we do that.

every once in a while we "trick" them and throw with our run group in but they generally drop the pass anyway

i dont disagree with you at all. I believe WR is the one position where a true Frosh can play and even excel. RB QB Line no but WR yes.

More to the point i guess is the multiple personnel packages that truly give away the play.

I think Purify is damn good, or best weapon yet he only plays about a 1/3 of the plays. Mario Manningham, jarrett last year, calvin johnson last year ted Ginn the list goes on and on they played damn near every snap. Why dont we do that.

every once in a while we "trick" them and throw with our run group in but they generally drop the pass anyway

I hear what you're saying, the only issue with Purify this week is that he hasn't got much reps in gameplay this year. But that is with Wake. Purify should be playing alot from now on. That said, I didn't like his pass selection for Wake...he just isn't a short yardage receiver...even though he had to be a little rusty, I believe the drops epitomized that.

its a confusing situation. Our offense looks bland and straightforward. its looked this way since Cally took over. HOWEVER, we continuously hear how complex and difficult it is as the answer to why the younger faster more upside kids arent playing.

Im confused. if it is so dam complex then why are we as fans able to call run or pass before the play is ran. if it is so complex then why is it one set of players for a run and another for a pass. if it is so dam complex then why on 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 do we go tight formation off tackle.

if it is so damn complex then show me the complexity. If its not then get some different playmakers on the field. Dont tell me that the youngsters dont know the offense because our offense looks very basic to me.

The complexity is in the interior line zone blocking schemes and the timing associated with such. this makes it difficult for OL to learn quickly what is going on. The complexity also is in the diversity of subtle line blocking schemes --- each of which has its own, complex terminology. Plus, the switching and shifting of receivers and backs have a terminology. So the terminology is tough for everyone to be on the same page.

The Callahan offense is hard to learn by all.

That said, it is easy to determine whether the Huskers will run or pass on a given play because Cally broadcasts what he is doing by the personnel packages he uses and by the amount of time spent in the huddle (plus his tendencies are very easy to follow --- what he will do on 3rd and long, etc.). So the offense is tough to execute and easy for the defense to predict (at least in terms of run vs. pass and who, typically gets the ball).

We do have some skilled players and so, sometimes even broadcasting what you will do works. But when the talent gap between the offense and the opposing defense is small (or favors them), then this offense will shut down. Some offensive game plans can enable an offense that is less talented than the opposing defense to still modestly prosper --- because they can often catch the defense in the wrong package. The NU offense is not one of those. Predictability has been a Callahan trademark from day one.

Still, keep in mind, your favorite freshman who may get into the game has a limited playbook that he has to choose from. And later in a close game, do you run that play with a 'cold' player who has very limited experience and hope it works out? How much sh*t does Callahan catch when a true freshman fumbles the game away because NU tries to get everyone 'athletic' involved?

the goddamn shifting is WAY over rated! it never has fooled anyone, it is a cally trademark and it is his signature on the offense. the new kids? well, i wonder how the hell Stoops does it at OU? freshman qb kicking ass and throwing touchdown passes all over the field. yes, for me the complex line of sh#t has run its course.

show me something DIFFERENT in play calling, not formations and shifts, 'cause the damn play is still the same!

The complexity is in the interior line zone blocking schemes and the timing associated with such. this makes it difficult for OL to learn quickly what is going on. The complexity also is in the diversity of subtle line blocking schemes --- each of which has its own, complex terminology. Plus, the switching and shifting of receivers and backs have a terminology. So the terminology is tough for everyone to be on the same page.

That said, it is easy to determine whether the Huskers will run or pass on a given play because Cally broadcasts what he is doing by the personnel packages he uses and by the amount of time spent in the huddle (plus his tendencies are very easy to follow --- what he will do on 3rd and long, etc.). So the offense is tough to execute and easy for the defense to predict (at least in terms of run vs. pass and who, typically gets the ball).

We do have some skilled players and so, sometimes even broadcasting what you will do works. But when the talent gap between the offense and the opposing defense is small (or favors them), then this offense will shut down. Some offensive game plans can enable an offense that is less talented than the opposing defense to still modestly prosper --- because they can often catch the defense in the wrong package. The NU offense is not one of those. Predictability has been a Callahan trademark from day one.

ok, i'll bite. if we can see this, why can't cally see it and move away from it?? change can be a good thing or you can wallow in the same routine forever, thinking it is the best?? makes no sense to me either??

I saw in these first games that yes, if we know whats coming they probably do to. The surprise for me was that they worked more than not, our receivers, tight ends just dropped a lot of them. Most of them were pass plays and were first downs if hung onto. Oh well, it will keep getting better as the season gos on.

GBR!!!

ok, i'll bite. if we can see this, why can't cally see it and move away from it?? change can be a good thing or you can wallow in the same routine forever, thinking it is the best?? makes no sense to me either??

You ask a very good question. I have no idea what Cally is thinking. Perhaps it is in his "we take what we want" mentality that says that it matters not if they know its coming if execute well they can't stop it anyway. If so, and I am only guessing here, that mindset may get you there against the WF and nevada's and the bottom end of the B12 teams, but against good athletes, probably not.

I am baffled by the predictable play calling. Your guess is as good as mine as to why this is the case.

the goddamn shifting is WAY over rated! it never has fooled anyone, it is a cally trademark and it is his signature on the offense. the new kids? well, i wonder how the hell Stoops does it at OU? freshman qb kicking ass and throwing touchdown passes all over the field. yes, for me the complex line of sh#t has run its course.

show me something DIFFERENT in play calling, not formations and shifts, 'cause the damn play is still the same!

Congrats on being able to listen to the radio...but keep ranting, it's entertaining.

The answer is quite simple for those who have played or coached high level football and maybe more complex for others. Robsker pretty much nailed it. The "ASSIGNMENTS" are the difficulty and the amount of plays that come off of each formation is quite high. Now if you want to know why it always seems easy to guess what we are going to do....THE PLAY CALLER SUCKS. The offense is complex but the play calling is predictable. Just b/c you have a complex pro style offense doesn't mean it is tricky. It's not talking out of both sides of your mouth, both are true.

The answer is quite simple for those who have played or coached high level football and maybe more complex for others. Robsker pretty much nailed it. The "ASSIGNMENTS" are the difficulty and the amount of plays that come off of each formation is quite high. Now if you want to know why it always seems easy to guess what we are going to do....THE PLAY CALLER SUCKS. The offense is complex but the play calling is predictable. Just b/c you have a complex pro style offense doesn't mean it is tricky. It's not talking out of both sides of your mouth, both are true.

Red..... you cut to the chase really rather nicely. Excellent effeciency in word usage. And, you are 100% correct. I am baffled that Cally got this far in the coaching world with his play calling. But, maybe he's holding back for USC :hmmph

Congrats on being able to listen to the radio...but keep ranting, it's entertaining.

Zing! :lol: