Nice Defensive scheme Coz....

Coz has turned our once proud Blackshirts into the Black Skirts now. After Callahan goes through his scripted plays he seems to go into his regular shell. One of the things that made T.O so good was the way he could adjust. This coaching group just doen't seem to have the ability to adjust at all. I never see Callahan let Keller change plays at the line of scrimmage, I think he should have that option. Oh well on to Ball St. chuckleshuffle

No bohl did that when he was here the problem is Coz has kept up that progress.

USC O-Line Dominated. Scheme wouldn't have changed that.

Tackling was a joke....Yes it is the Coaching Staff responsibilty to teach them how to tackle and drill it.

Players were getting out of position. Not because of scheme but mental errors.

It also looked as if the Defense didn't comunicate well.

Right on the money!

I'm not saying we have to fire him...but I will syathis, we are stuck with BC...and I mean that to say that we have given him a new deal and we can't just dump him.....but Coz does not have that same deal and it may not be a bad Idea for BC to shake things up...........I would not mind a new face to restore some tuffness to the blackshirts....I really think that the talent is there....it looks alot like the scheme is bad....the backers are not reading the play before they are in traffic and when we do blitz it can be seen a mile away......

Assante and Murrilo can play so can Bowman and Green....there is talent

I don't want to fir Coz this year, but I would not have him in 08

A D-Coordinator should also see that there are these fundamental problems and implement workshops or training sessions specifically to cover these deficiencies. Blaming highschool coaches? What? You know that in college you continue learning *beyond* what was learned in highschool, right? It's not just a place to practice what you learned in highschool.

USC O-Line Dominated. Scheme wouldn't have changed that.

Tackling was a joke....Yes it is the Coaching Staff responsibilty to teach them how to tackle and drill it.

Players were getting out of position. Not because of scheme but mental errors.

It also looked as if the Defense didn't comunicate well.

And that's where one of the coaches (either Cali or Coz or the trainers or the waterboys) should have lit a fire under their collective butts and told them to either start playing or sit this one out.

I'm not saying we have to fire him...but I will syathis, we are stuck with BC...and I mean that to say that we have given him a new deal and we can't just dump him.....but Coz does not have that same deal and it may not be a bad Idea for BC to shake things up...........I would not mind a new face to restore some tuffness to the blackshirts....I really think that the talent is there....it looks alot like the scheme is bad....the backers are not reading the play before they are in traffic and when we do blitz it can be seen a mile away......

Assante and Murrilo can play so can Bowman and Green....there is talent

I don't want to fir Coz this year, but I would not have him in 08

Green?

Not going to happen Coz is going to stay here until Callahan choose to quit. This will be like the situation Bobby had with his son until the AD and booster goes to him and tell Cal it's either him or Coz were stuck with him.

Coaches are supposed to teach players to tackle. What the F**k is McKeon doing trying to strip the ball when we had SC on their own four yard line early in the game. That is taught by the coaches. And designing stunts and teaching players to fill gaps and attack the ball carrier, and blitz packages where the right players are in the right places is also a coaches job.

I am getting sick of people apologizing for this guy. He had us looking horrible against the run when we played WF, and tonight, USC just exploited the hell out of that. They kept showing the end around, and even when they didn't run it, our players were always out of position. The tackling was bad, but many times the arm tackling was a result of a guy trying to dive at a ball carrier that was out of reach DUE TO A BAD SCHEME. These are all Cosgrove and Callahan's players now(except for red shirt seniors). You can't blame the former coaching staff any longer. Defensive coordinating like this got Craig Bohl fired, why is Coz untouchable? He needs to go NOW!!!

Some of these guys need to learn the difference between game plan and execution. The game plan was fine, the actual execution was the downfall of this defense.

I can go down a list of players, that includes Suh even , that played terribly. The plays were there to be made, they just simply did not make them. How many plays did you see where contact was first made in the backfield, only to have them turn into gains for USC? TOO MANY! How many plays did you see where USC just ran thru arm tackle after arm tackle? TOO MANY!

Lets face it guys, the guys making these mistakes are mostly upperclassmen as well. If you believe Coach Cos needs to take time to teach these boys fundamentals of tackling they should have learned in HS, then you are getting it confused what a DC really does.

The fact of it is, changes need to be made. It isn't with the defensive coaching staff either, it is with guys that are starters. Guys like McKeon first and foremost. Ruud, Potter, Turner, Asante. Those are the guys that need to be challenged to hold onto their jobs. Having that starting job doesn't mean that just because you earned it over the summer, that you can keep it throughout the year regardless of how you play. If those guys continue to play like they have the last two weeks, then by all means play guys like Dillard, Lance, Thenarse, Allen, Sievers, etc.,

:yeah

Agree completely...I think Brandenburgh and Thenarse should see more playing time immediately.

Personally I have to agree here. While I don't see this ever happening unless Calahan fears for his job, Cosgrove is not doing his job as Defensive Coordinator, and needs to be let go.

Look, I don't care how much time you give a coach... if he can't teach his linebackers the basics like how to tackle and how to stay in your lane, that's bad coaching. Yes, Bo did a hell of a lot better with the defense... that's a fact. Back in the Solich days the roles were reversed; our defense was solid (with worse recruits) but our offense couldn't get the job done. Now our offense is showing promise, but our defense plays downright horribly, even with higher star recruits.

Face it, you can get the best 4 and 5 star recruits you want... and if you don't teach them well, and don't call the right plays, and don't adjust to the opponent's schemes, then your defense will suck no matter what. USC giving up and letting us score a few touchdowns in the 4th quarter doesn't excuse 35 unanswered points. They scored more points on our field than they did against Idaho at home. This should be embarrassing, it should be brought up, and coaches should take responsibility for it.