No Blackshirt for Bowman!!!!!!!

By the way...From LJS

Senior captain Zack Bowman shed his Blackshirt on Tuesday for a regular red practice jersey.

“My attitude this week was in order for me to wear my Blackshirt,” Bowman said, “I have to play like one.”

Many would argue nobody played like a Blackshirt — an honored symbol of starting status on Nebraska’s defense — Saturday night in a 49-31 loss to No. 1 USC.

“The game was pretty hard on me and a lot of other players,” Bowman said. “We all felt like we didn’t play to the caliber we can play to.”

Bowman, a cornerback, made the decision without telling any coaches or teammates.

“This is something I decided to do on my own,” Bowman said. “I got questions. People asked me, and I told them.”

Fellow senior captain and Blackshirt Bo Ruud called Bowman’s move “a big statement.”

“I got a lot of respect for a guy that does that, that’s self-disciplined,” Ruud said. “That’s a big thing for this team that he did that.”

What’s more, Bowman practiced Tuesday on an injured hamstring. He suffered the injury in the USC game. In fact, Bowman wasn’t 100 percent certain he’d play against Ball State.

“That’s a day-to-day decision,” Bowman said.

How is the hamstring?

“It’s getting better,” he said. “It just kind of pulled on me a little bit.”

In other injury news, running back Cody Glenn sat out Tuesday with a “tweaked knee,” he said.

I think it would be a great idea if Blackshirts are awarded each week instead of at the beginning of the year. That way the guys on the defensive side of the ball have to work hard each week to earn them.

Yeah that would be a great idea because players would work hard to earn their blackshirt and working hard each week will help on Saturdays..then maybe the D would make some tackles

In previous threads people had mentioned taking away their Blackshirts after the performance I really wondered to myself if the Blackshirt 'tradition' REALLY meant what it used to. I know before that it was an extreme honor and almost a fraternal 'ceremony' that a player was given one. I wondered if it had lost some of it's mystique and honor since it has been around for so long. I wondered that, if to at least some players, it was not a Blackshirt....but just a black shirt. I wondered that if by taking that Blackshirt away, you wouldn't hurt their feelings, or worse, pride one bit.

I guess this goes to show that to at least some players, the tradition is still strong.

I've wondered the same thing. I appreciate Callahan keeping the Blackshirt tradition alive, but I wonder if it's lost some of it's luster.

It's lost some of its luster because of their performance. I agree with huskerpower_76, they shouldn't be given out just once a year. I also think not everyone who starts one game should get one. If you play exceptional during spring ball then you should have one to start but players should be able to earn them in practice throughout the year.

From journalstar.com:

No Blackshirt for Bowman

"This is just something I decided to do on my own," Bowman said. "My attitude this week was in order for me to wear my Blackshirt, I have to play like one."

If the defense turns around this year, and I think they can, then at the end of the year you can look back at this as its turning point.

This is what leaders do. They don't consult anyone else. They do what they know is right. They act unselfishly and decisively.

Not trying to cover for your linebackers, but one thing I have thought is that with your inexperienced D-line, perhaps the backers are playing their position with an eye on helping the linemen. Whatever, any good linebacker will tell you his job is a lot easier if the tackle is playing well.

A lot of people talk, cheer from the sidelines, etc, but Zac is leading out front and by example the way leaders should lead.

GBR!