Awarding Blackshirts

There was a not so civil discussion on another board about the Blackshirts and the typical "stripping them of their blackshirts" and making them wear pink, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the thread was locked. But my question is, why are the Blackshirts awarded before the season? I understand this has always been the case but with the D's less than stellar performance, i'm inclined to think Blackshirts shouldn't be awarded until after 2 or 3 non-conference games have been played and players could truly be evaluated by the coaching staff. I think we can all agree if that were truly the case, Q and Ruud would be riding the pine behind Dillard and B-burgh.

There was a not so civil discussion on another board about the Blackshirts and the typical "stripping them of their blackshirts" and making them wear pink, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the thread was locked. But my question is, why are the Blackshirts awarded before the season? I understand this has always been the case but with the D's less than stellar performance, i'm inclined to think Blackshirts shouldn't be awarded until after 2 or 3 non-conference games have been played and players could truly be evaluated by the coaching staff. I think we can all agree if that were truly the case, Q and Ruud would be riding the pine behind Dillard and B-burgh.

I agree to a certain extent on what you say, but the determining factor is usually the performance in fall camp that the award is presented. But the problem lies in the coaches that award them and then are afraid to take them away. They will stick with this defense because it is the only one they have with any experience and will not turn to fresh choices because of the close minded behavior they have conditioned themselves to.

Understand that. Just wondering if holding off for a couple/three games would help the coaches get a better feel for who will be playmakers and who will be playdoh'ers. But I agree in the sense the coaches should feel the need to yank some Blackshirts with the emphasis being they could lose them for good if they don't start playing up to their potential.

We need to hold off on giving them to all starters at the beginning of the year, and dole out the Blackshirts sparingly.

Of course, it would be better if we didn't have a DC that had no clue what was going on with the defense, tradition or otherwise. Could someone maybe try to get Kiffin or Steele in here to be DC...please?

I disagree. Give them out early if you like. The guys want to know who's got their back. Each black shirt can be taken away but it would require a performance similar to last week for that to happen. By the same token a black shirt can be given to someone who puts forth an excellant game even if in a back up role.

I suspect the middle of the defense will be pretty solid the rest of the year. I also suspect that there will be something else slip just a little bit to fill the gaps that were there last week.

I'm not sure about waiting till the season is kicking, but I don't recall anywhere there being a need to have 15 blackshirts with some reserves earning them. IMO, if a guy starts, he shouldn't automatically be awarded a blackshirt, just the guys that go above and beyond and earn it.

I think the coaches tend to get a less-than-accurate view of their players' true capabilities in camp. I'll bet Suh looked amazing in camp, but who was he going against? And that's just one example. Going off of practices is hard to evaluate.

that and the fact that we don't have organized scrimages that much with the 1's against the 1's , etc.

never did understand that, always looked like "window dressing" to me

I think the coaches tend to get a less-than-accurate view of their players' true capabilities in camp. I'll bet Suh looked amazing in camp, but who was he going against? And that's just one example. Going off of practices is hard to evaluate.

that and the fact that we don't have organized scrimages that much with the 1's against the 1's , etc.

From what I have read, they have been going 1s on 1s in practice in full pads this week. I don't think they need to do this all the time, but going full tilt with your best players against each other will make everyone better.

From what I have read, they have been going 1s on 1s in practice in full pads this week. I don't think they need to do this all the time, but going full tilt with your best players against each other will make everyone better.

might have been beneficial to do more of it in pre season camp?

might have been beneficial to do more of it in pre season camp?

They did during scrimmages, IIRC. I read about Octavien and Nicks' epic battles every day in practice. Regardless, they need to make some adjustments.

There again is an example of how we all love to be blinded by the hype of certain players. I remember about a month ago when there was a thread discussing which player lost would have the biggest impact on us. Many agreed that losing Suh would be very devastating. Considering he was some freshman center's bitch on Saturday, I'm not sure if losing him would be that big of deal. I bought into the hype of Octavian seeing how fast he was against Nevada only to be disappointed the last two weeks.

In the past few years, some have questioned the heart and dedication of some players. The die hards always accused those playing less than adequate as having loyalty issues between current staff and past staff. Well, there aren't that many of those left. After Saturday, I'm still questioning the heard and dedication of the players. We have no swagger. No one is afraid to play us. No one is afraid to come into our backyard and kick us in the teeth any longer. In order for the order to be restored, we have got to get our swagger back. Beating up on lower tier teams is not going to do it. Winning the miserable Big 12 North is not going to do it. Beating Texas will help. Winning the Big 12 should do it. Whatever it takes, we have got to get our swagger back!