Callahan's NFL mindset

np_husker

"I Bleed Red" congratu F'ing lations. You answered his post correctly. You are such a monday morning QB. Instead of being reactive and saying everything the coaching staff does wrong. Why dont you come up with something we can do at this point to improve. If you are such freaking genius, who would you suggest would be the second coming of jesus to coach at NU? Why dont we exume Devaney? Is that more to your liking? How bout rather than always being on the negative side of things, you actually come up with a logical plan other than firing everyone at NU and burning it to the ground. Or better yet why dont you go apply for the coaching position. I bet you are sweet on xbox or playstation, that obviously translates to being a football genius.

SEND ME TO THE WOODSHED!!!!!!!

What is all this nonsense about being an NFL coach? Wasn't he an assistant and got his start in the college ranks? He didn't just fall off of some turnip truck and all of a sudden become HC of the Raiders. There's absolutely nothing wrong with his credentials and from being a HC in the pros. Where the true problem lies is in what his coaching background is: the offensive line. I just can't understand how someone who coached offensive line for so long can still in his 4th year have as pathetic of offensive line as he still has.

If you want an example of how maybe his players don't respect him: See his second year as Raiders Head Ball Coach. Maybe not a great example, but nontheless they wanted his ass gone.

Why are we even discussing this? The real problem lies with the :asshat we have as AD. Do I think BC is in over his head? Yes. Do I blame him? No. This is Pud's circus. He fires a 10 win coach who finished ranked 17th. He offers and yet is declined by several :asshat coaches until he finally begs and pleads until BC says yes. We go through some growing pains which was obviously going to happen. Then, Pud gives in and gives BC a contract extension after BC whines and cries that potential recruits are questioning whether he'll be here when they graduate or not. Then, we sustain one of the worst ass beatings ever sustained by the Huskers in our own BACKYARD! Obviously some of the timeline is made up of my assumptions, but in the end Pud is still and will continue to be a complete :asshat .

I've never thought BC was a good fit for NU, and I've never really felt he was even a good coach. However, I will always contend that he was a hell of a lot better than some of the other clowns Pud tried to lure here like "Stache", Nutt, etc. We're stuck with what we have for several more years like it or not. I would like to see Coz gone, but I think my chances of winning the PowerBall are better than his odds of being canned.

"I Bleed Red" congratu F'ing lations. You answered his post correctly. You are such a monday morning QB. Instead of being reactive and saying everything the coaching staff does wrong. Why dont you come up with something we can do at this point to improve. If you are such freaking genius, who would you suggest would be the second coming of jesus to coach at NU? Why dont we exume Devaney? Is that more to your liking? How bout rather than always being on the negative side of things, you actually come up with a logical plan other than firing everyone at NU and burning it to the ground. Or better yet why dont you go apply for the coaching position. I bet you are sweet on xbox or playstation, that obviously translates to being a football genius.

This wasn't directed toward you so go back to flipping burgers. I do know a thing or 2 about football and coaching it. Not to mention I have repeatedly given my examples of what I think PRIOR to the game and about coaches.

Keep living your mediocre life and keep up your mediocre expectations. I don't flame posters but how dare you attack me when you obviously haven't read my posts about what I think should happen nor have any idea who I am. I don't play video games d-bag. I know EXACTLY what it takes to beat NU and I know what I think will fix it.

This will get deleted by the mods but people attack me when I attack BC. BC SUCKS YOU JUST ARE TOO BUSY KISSING HIS A$$ TO SEE IT. Ask an expert, I have.

What is all this nonsense about being an NFL coach? Wasn't he an assistant and got his start in the college ranks? He didn't just fall off of some turnip truck and all of a sudden become HC of the Raiders. There's absolutely nothing wrong with his credentials and from being a HC in the pros. Where the true problem lies is in what his coaching background is: the offensive line. I just can't understand how someone who coached offensive line for so long can still in his 4th year have as pathetic of offensive line as he still has.

If you want an example of how maybe his players don't respect him: See his second year as Raiders Head Ball Coach. Maybe not a great example, but nontheless they wanted his ass gone.

Why are we even discussing this? The real problem lies with the :asshat we have as AD. Do I think BC is in over his head? Yes. Do I blame him? No. This is Pud's circus. He fires a 10 win coach who finished ranked 17th. He offers and yet is declined by several :asshat coaches until he finally begs and pleads until BC says yes. We go through some growing pains which was obviously going to happen. Then, Pud gives in and gives BC a contract extension after BC whines and cries that potential recruits are questioning whether he'll be here when they graduate or not. Then, we sustain one of the worst ass beatings ever sustained by the Huskers in our own BACKYARD! Obviously some of the timeline is made up of my assumptions, but in the end Pud is still and will continue to be a complete :asshat .

I've never thought BC was a good fit for NU, and I've never really felt he was even a good coach. However, I will always contend that he was a hell of a lot better than some of the other clowns Pud tried to lure here like "Stache", Nutt, etc. We're stuck with what we have for several more years like it or not. I would like to see Coz gone, but I think my chances of winning the PowerBall are better than his odds of being canned.

Agreed the issue is PUD fired a coach that led a 10 win team and that scared off other coaches. HE is responsible for this mess. It's not like I expected Cally to say "no thanks" who needs an extra 1.7 mil per year.

These are college players, they obviously did something right to get where they are, and if we need to constantly teach fundaments at the college level, then maybe we are getting the wrong players.

I can hear it coming, practicing full pads sounds good now, but as soon as people get hurt, everyone's going to bitch about why did we do the full pads thing. Learning to tackle should be like learning how to ride a bicycle.

So? What does that have to do with our current players? I'm still waiting for someone to show me evidence that Callahan's players AT NEBRASKA (I thought this stipulation would be obvious...apparently not) do not respect him.

Do all these players come to play for a coach they don't respect? They're all just money-grubbing kids then, right? They must want nothing more than to make the bling in the NFL, so even though they don't respect him, they come to play for him.

Please.

Ask an expert, I have.

What expert have you been talking to?....Mark May or Lou Holtz?

I'll agree that firing a 10 win coach who ended the season ranked may have scared off a few potential coaches, but I think maybe there is more to it than that. First of all, Pud knew he was going to have to get some kind of coach with name recognition in here. I think what scared a lot of the coaches he was after off was the fact that they were coming into a school loaded with option running players. There are no big name coaches out there that run the option. We all heard the rumors about Steve Spurrier being spotted in Lincoln. Why would he want to come here and coach knowing he was going to have to scrap nearly every offensive player in the lineup? I don't necessarily think it was the talent that scared off potential coaches as much as it was the wrong kind of talent. If Frank had not been hired as HC, I don't think it would have been any easier finding a quality coach to replace TO than it was Frank because nobody else wants to run this kind of offense whether they be from the NFL or another college program.

If we went on a coach hunting spree this time around, I think it would be a lot easier to find a good quality coach because we actually have the kind of offensive system in place that most coaches are familiar with. I think we have a couple of young QB's either here or coming in that can actually run the ball a bit as well as toss it around. We have some good receivers. We have some good backs. We have more pieces of the puzzle to work with this time around than simply having an option attack.

I'll agree that firing a 10 win coach who ended the season ranked may have scared off a few potential coaches, but I think maybe there is more to it than that. First of all, Pud knew he was going to have to get some kind of coach with name recognition in here. I think what scared a lot of the coaches he was after off was the fact that they were coming into a school loaded with option running players. There are no big name coaches out there that run the option. We all heard the rumors about Steve Spurrier being spotted in Lincoln. Why would he want to come here and coach knowing he was going to have to scrap nearly every offensive player in the lineup? I don't necessarily think it was the talent that scared off potential coaches as much as it was the wrong kind of talent. If Frank had not been hired as HC, I don't think it would have been any easier finding a quality coach to replace TO than it was Frank because nobody else wants to run this kind of offense whether they be from the NFL or another college program.

If we went on a coach hunting spree this time around, I think it would be a lot easier to find a good quality coach because we actually have the kind of offensive system in place that most coaches are familiar with. I think we have a couple of young QB's either here or coming in that can actually run the ball a bit as well as toss it around. We have some good receivers. We have some good backs. We have more pieces of the puzzle to work with this time around than simply having an option attack.

Very well said....so now can we look..LOL

These are college players, they obviously did something right to get where they are, and if we need to constantly teach fundaments at the college level, then maybe we are getting the wrong players.

I can hear it coming, practicing full pads sounds good now, but as soon as people get hurt, everyone's going to bitch about why did we do the full pads thing. Learning to tackle should be like learning how to ride a bicycle.

You would think that, but I have seen several pro games where the tackling is horrendous as well. Sometimes, I think players get caught up trying to make the highlight reel rather than just making the play. I remember in 02' thinking that Demario Williams and Hollowell(sp) were complete jokes as they were constantly out of position. However, they really turned some heads in 03'. This is why I think it's very possible for the finger to be pointed at coaching.

Mack Brown got sick and tired of getting lit up by OU, so he made a D coordinator change at Texas. I guess it all worked out well for him. Our defense is just not getting better. Preseason, everyone was optimistic about this season because of the defense. Our LB's were supposed to be the best since BC has been here. What happened?

Ask an expert, I have.

What expert have you been talking to?....Mark May or Lou Holtz?

I'd like to know too.

:yeah

Agreed the issue is PUD fired a coach that led a 10 win team and that scared off other coaches. HE is responsible for this mess. It's not like I expected Cally to say "no thanks" who needs an extra 1.7 mil per year.

.:yeah

i think cally realizes Coz is a liability to his own longevity here, but at this point he doesn't quite know what to do about it. i think he is hoping the NFL comes calling for Coz again in the off season and he can gracefully slip out of town.

that would be the most painless scenario for all involved, then the search for a new D coordinator, hopefully with an open check book from Pud.

i think cally realizes Coz is a liability to his own longevity here, but at this point he doesn't quite know what to do about it. i think he is hoping the NFL comes calling for Coz again in the off season and he can gracefully slip out of town.

that would be the most painless scenario for all involved, then the search for a new D coordinator, hopefully with an open check book from Pud.

Every thing that has been said in this thread is exactly the same things that were said for 4 years on Bama's forums about Mike Shula.