good article

np_husker

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0921...ouglass21.shtml

Good article, especially the end about practice...

"We went full pads pretty much three days a week and we had 15-play scrimmages with No. 1s against No. 1s every week, no matter what," Ellis said. "We went full-tilt Tommie Frazier, Brook Berringer, Ahman Green it didn't matter who they were, they were going down. There were no green jerseys or anything like that. You were getting hit and hit hard.

"I will take it to my grave believing that that's why we were good. We would kill each other in practice and when we were done killing each other, we were ready to kill somebody else. When you practice every day, ones against ones, you're going to get better."

"We went full pads pretty much three days a week and we had 15-play scrimmages with No. 1s against No. 1s every week, no matter what," Ellis said. "We went full-tilt Tommie Frazier, Brook Berringer, Ahman Green it didn't matter who they were, they were going down. There were no green jerseys or anything like that. You were getting hit and hit hard.

"I will take it to my grave believing that that's why we were good. We would kill each other in practice and when we were done killing each other, we were ready to kill somebody else. When you practice every day, ones against ones, you're going to get better."

That's the damn truth right there. I don't know how you think your going to get better if you don't play with the best. You get use to seeing the speed and the talent. Bill is just scared that he will lose a lot of players to injuries if he practices this way.

There's probably some merit to those quotes. But i think we'd have other problems if the players were going full speed three times a week in practice. Lucky already had one concussion during fall camp for example. And i don't think we should be taking a chance on killing Keller (or whoever our starting QB is) in practice.

I have some concerns about us not practicing in pads. I'm a big believer in you play like you practice. But this represents another extreme imo.

I'm sure it worked for them. I don't think that means it's the only thing that works though.

Well there ya have it. You kno USC plays ones v ones too. Now I wonder how thats going for them?

I completly agree with what he said in that article. Especially when he said you don't need a bunch of 5 star athletes to get a great team. You need good team chemistry. "On the same page" Little proof of what hes talking about.

When i was in high school we had an intramural basketball program with a total of about 12 teams. I was on a team with a group of guys. A few of us would of been the 5 star athletes with a few 2-3 star players thrown in the mix. So my junior year we all went out there never having played with each other and played. We all were individuals....got the ball and did our own thing trying to win the game. The first game we played the USC of intramural basketball. We were juniors and they were a good senior team that had played together for a few years. We went in there trying to take them down all doing our own thing and ended up losing because no one person on our team could win the game. Anyways we ended up winning like 4 games that whole season. When senior year game along we had all played together and learned how each of us played. That year (senior year) we went 11-0 and all because we could read each other. We didn't change anything, we didn't have plays, we didn't have game stradegy...we knew what we could do and we moved the ball on the same page. And even close games we always stayed as a unit.

Im no coach, but something that article said must be true because it worked for our team

I find it amazing that they do not practice game like situations everyday. This is not smart in my book. Injuries will happen and that is the risk of the game. These players need to be so tired of hitting each other that they are bursting at the seams to beat the hell out of the next team we face.

This is football. STRAP IT UP AND GET AFTER IT during each practice if for nothing else than to keep them in game shape. I do not want to compare coaches or coaching styles but at some point, something from the past must be retained in order to revisit it.

GBR