what makes us the experts

formerfan8

Why is it that everyone on this board is an expert? If you are all such great coaches, get a job or submit your resume to Cally. Everyone trashes the coaches, yet i doubt if any of us could do better. Everyone hated Solich and Bohl, yet they and their staffs have put together pretty good programs where they are now. Were they stupid but became educated? No, it just wasnt their time. I agree that some schools are not a good fit for certain people, but all current Big Red Fans have to realize that the NCAA wanted parody and they have it. Okla was great, sucked and now good again, same for USC, and Penn St. Notre Dame was consistantly good, now terrible. Do you really think Weis got stupid overnight? The best thing for Nebraska football is for the fans to support the teams win or lose. No kid will come here to be booed by the fans. Nebraska fans owe the coaches and players an apology.

Why is it that everyone on this board is an expert? If you are all such great coaches, get a job or submit your resume to Cally. Everyone trashes the coaches, yet i doubt if any of us could do better. Everyone hated Solich and Bohl, yet they and their staffs have put together pretty good programs where they are now. Were they stupid but became educated? No, it just wasnt their time. I agree that some schools are not a good fit for certain people, but all current Big Red Fans have to realize that the NCAA wanted parody and they have it. Okla was great, sucked and now good again, same for USC, and Penn St. Notre Dame was consistantly good, now terrible. Do you really think Weis got stupid overnight? The best thing for Nebraska football is for the fans to support the teams win or lose. No kid will come here to be booed by the fans. Nebraska fans owe the coaches and players an apology.

lol to that entire post. Except for the booing part...I agree with him there. You never boo your own team.

Brook Berringer and Scott Frost were booed. The last time I checked, the roster is still full. The only apology there needs to be is Pud apologizing to Husker Nation. The Skers need to man up and find out what they're made of because the crap that was displayed Saturday is not going to cut it.

You can go ahead and compare NU to OU, Miami, Alabama, etc. all you want. However, NU has never been placed on probation. IMO, it's not even an apples to apples comparison.

This D isn't a scab thrown together D. We're in year 4 of this administration, and our D is bar none the worst it's been since these coaches have been here. We were supposed to have a better D than last year, but so far we're much worse. We are now in the time when we need a severe gut check. We cannot continue to play as we have over the last 3 weeks, or we're going to crumble throughout the season. This D is regressing. This trend has got to stop. Coz, Octavian, etc. need to stop worrying about fans booing and figure out how they're going to fix this huge problem. If the problem isn't fixed and fixed immediately, it will eventually trickle down to the rest of the team. Steve Spurrier realized that trying to win shootouts eventually leads to the beatdown they sustained against NU in 05'. So, he hired Bob Stoops to come in and fix his D. NU needs to have a strong D in order to ever have much success.

This is only directed towards him....so please let's not bash me.

Played QB at a Pac-10 school

Coached at a Pac-10 school

Coached as assistant OC at a Division II school

Still coach high school as OC now

I am not coaching b/c I don't want to keep moving every few years and I make 10 times as much now and I don't have a 80 hr work week.

I am not an expert and I am sure others have similar credentials BUT even without these credentials EVERYONE has enough football knowledge and the RIGHT to question anyone. Sometimes it's out of anger, sometimes it's just to ask questions. The only reason OU and USC sucked was b/c of their coaches. Penn St. was down for a couple years while their players were young. The reason is the scholarship limit for places like Penn. St and Florida St. the reason we suck is very different....D coaches!

We don't need to know HOW something is done to be able to recognize when something is done WELL.

I have no idea how to play the cello. But I can certainly pick out an ace cellist.

Very good point. Most top notch sports writers never played a down but they study it enough to know good from bad. Just like a food or movie critic. We listen to their opinions sometimes.

610 yards to Ball State.

Case closed.

I am not saying Cosgrove is the right fit or that he doesnt need to be moved on, just that Cally or others may know something we don't. When everyone wanted Bohl's head, he was 1 year off having a defense that was in the top 10 in most defensive categories. I agree Solich was bad, not b/c of his coaching but b/c he couldnt look you straight in the eye and recruit. Recruiting is key and we are doing that.

Ball St game was terrible, but you have to hit bottom to rise to the top. Maybe this was it.

This is only directed towards him....so please let's not bash me.

Played QB at a Pac-10 school

Coached at a Pac-10 school

Coached as assistant OC at a Division II school

Still coach high school as OC now

I am not coaching b/c I don't want to keep moving every few years and I make 10 times as much now and I don't have a 80 hr work week.

I am not an expert and even without these credentials EVERYONE has enough football knowledge and the RIGHT to question anyone. Sometimes it's out of anger, sometimes it's just to ask questions. The only reason OU and USC sucked was b/c of their coaches. Penn St. was down for a couple years while their players were young. The reason is the scholarship limit for places like Penn. St and Florida St. the reason we suck is very different....D coaches!

:clap

610 yards to Ball State.

Case closed.

I am not saying Cosgrove is the right fit or that he doesnt need to be moved on, just that Cally or others may know something we don't. When everyone wanted Bohl's head, he was 1 year off having a defense that was in the top 10 in most defensive categories. I agree Solich was bad, not b/c of his coaching but b/c he couldnt look you straight in the eye and recruit. Recruiting is key and we are doing that.

Ball St game was terrible, but you have to hit bottom to rise to the top. Maybe this was it.

The reason the D was a year away from being in the top 10 was because Bohl wasn't coaching it the next year. Coz's D does remind me a lot of Bohl's D. Everyone out there runs around like a chicken with their head cut off and has no idea where the ball is or where it's going. Once Pelini got a hold of Demario, he made him a completely different player. When Bohl had him, I thought he was one of the biggest busts to ever be called a Blackshirt.

Typically when dynasties are built, rock bottom is hit the first. We're hitting rock bottom in year 4. Even though we all hated the losing season in 04', I think it was almost expected. I don't think anyone, coaching staff included, saw the meltdown of the D coming this year. Last year, everyone was anticipating this year because Bowman and Octavian were coming back after being out for the year with injuries. We have them back, and we're worse. I don't think last year's front 4 got the kudos they deserved. The D this year was supposed to be better than last year. Anybody think it's better than last year's D?

When a coach, the head coach, makes a million dollars a year and the assistants all make 6-figure salaries you expect flawless (or near flawless) performance. No not all of us are experts --- probably few are. Some have coached (as I have) and know probably just enough to get by. But the point is that the results are not there --- the staff is held accountable --- and they are wildly well paid to be producing --- and they are not.

So, it is true that I probably could not do as well as Cally --- and this is likely true for the rest of the posters --- yet again, none of us are paid $1,000,000 a year to coach.