Deja Vu

Fan

When he talks about playing defense and running the ball, I don't think the Bama fan means the option, just being a physical run-first team who can still throw if they need to. The Huskers at this point are a run-first-then-realize-we-cant-so-let's-throw-it-60-times team.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. I don't think the option is dead though. The spread option is alive and well. I see Nebraska running somehting like West Virginia's power spread with a little more I formation built in. I never saw Nebraska as an option team anyway, I saw them as a power football team.

I don't know I think those days are long gone. It's hard for any team to run the option anymore. The spread offense seems to be THE offense now.

So your saying if you put together the same team as the 93 and 94 teams that they would have a problem moving the ball now?

I'm saying that if you look at defenses and athletes as a whole they are better now then they were back in the early 90's. Defensive ends and linebackers are so much faster now it would be hard to get that offense to work. I'm not saying that those teams weren't probably in the top 10 or 5 of all time as far as teams go.................you forgot 97 by the way....................but it wouldn't probably be as successful.

I didn't know that Winstrom Peter brothers and Tomich along with Rucker, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Ray Lewis were a lot smaller and slower then the Lb and defensive linemen they have now.

It's pretty funny when they have the all time teams and Husker fans vote enmass that the 95 is the best team ever then some of the same fans say you can't run that offense now. Well if you can't run it now then they are just a bunch of hypocrites. :rant

When he talks about playing defense and running the ball, I don't think the Bama fan means the option, just being a physical run-first team who can still throw if they need to. The Huskers at this point are a run-first-then-realize-we-cant-so-let's-throw-it-60-times team.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. I don't think the option is dead though. The spread option is alive and well. I see Nebraska running somehting like West Virginia's power spread with a little more I formation built in. I never saw Nebraska as an option team anyway, I saw them as a power football team.

:yeah

I would have to agree with you.

One of these days I hope when we chant HUSKER POWER we can mean it again. :restore

We mainly need new defensive staff. I don't have any real problem with Callahan other than his defensive staff just isn't working out.

Agreed. And anyone with a pulse knows that Cally is an offensive-minded coach--naturally, the offense is flourishing under his guidance. Add to that the fact that we've actually got the special teams being...well...'special' again (unlike during the end of the Solich regime), and anyone asking for a housecleaning really hasn't got a clue.

And I guess my concern is that we're taking consolation from a fan whose team can't even properly count the number of National Championships they have...

I don't know I think those days are long gone. It's hard for any team to run the option anymore. The spread offense seems to be THE offense now.

So your saying if you put together the same team as the 93 and 94 teams that they would have a problem moving the ball now?

I'm saying that if you look at defenses and athletes as a whole they are better now then they were back in the early 90's. Defensive ends and linebackers are so much faster now it would be hard to get that offense to work. I'm not saying that those teams weren't probably in the top 10 or 5 of all time as far as teams go.................you forgot 97 by the way....................but it wouldn't probably be as successful.

I didn't know that Winstrom Peter brothers and Tomich along with Rucker, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Ray Lewis were a lot smaller and slower then the Lb and defensive linemen they have now.

It's pretty funny when they have the all time teams and Husker fans vote enmass that the 95 is the best team ever then some of the same fans say you can't run that offense now. Well if you can't run it now then they are just a bunch of hypocrites. :rant

Those teams and players were great, but there are other things to consider. Back in the day, Nebraska had Osborne. There are still option teams out there, but without a general like Osborne, the are kind of ineffective. The option offense take a special kind of and brilliant coach to make them effective. Or at least as effective as NU was. All I am saying is without a Osborne level coach, I do not think that the option would even have a chance anymore. Who would that coach be? I don't know, but to compete with all of the speed on defenses nowdays, they would have to be a genius and have many special offensive players that really do not care if they go pro.

Those teams and players were great, but there are other things to consider. Back in the day, Nebraska had Osborne. There are still option teams out there, but without a general like Osborne, the are kind of ineffective. The option offense take a special kind of and brilliant coach to make them effective. Or at least as effective as NU was. All I am saying is without a Osborne level coach, I do not think that the option would even have a chance anymore. Who would that coach be? I don't know, but to compete with all of the speed on defenses nowdays, they would have to be a genius and have many special offensive players that really do not care if they go pro.

I understand that kind of thinking but don't fully agree with it.

I understand that kind of thinking but don't fully agree with it.

Ok? What don't you agree with?

Agreed. And anyone with a pulse knows that Cally is an offensive-minded coach--naturally, the offense is flourishing under his guidance. Add to that the fact that we've actually got the special teams being...well...'special' again (unlike during the end of the Solich regime), and anyone asking for a housecleaning really hasn't got a clue.

See head. See sand. See you sticking head in the sand.

See head. See sand. See you sticking head in the sand.

The offense is producing the defense needs work. It's hard for alot of teams across the country to have both clicking perfectly. When it does that's what you call a National Championship Contender. ;)