If you were put in charge...

I Bleed RED

Since we all seem to be playing arm chair coach I wanted to get everyone's feedback on their ideas for the team. List 3 things you would change immediately and 3 things you think are going well. I was hoping to get specific feedback and NO YOU CANNOT FIRE ANY COACHES or bring any new ones in to help. Also, please don't just say the passing game is good. Be more specific. I would like to see some good ideas and let each of us play head coach.

Changes:

1. Immediately change the defensive setup moving Ruud outside and closer to the line and shift down the strong side DE to play straight up on the tackle. Have Culbert play safety/weak side run support as deep as the LB's and replace McKeon with Dillard.

2. Have the TE's continue to stretch the field with go routes and also use the WR on 12-15 yd crossing routes. This will open up underneath routes by other WR and also the RBs can come underneath for passes or passes in the flats. It will also allow delayed draws.

3. Use the pass to set up the run. We cannot run block and we won't be able to all season. If we pass until they stop us or until it is 3rd and short then it will keep the LB's playing back and the safeties back so we can open up the run later. This at least gives us options later in the game. Now we must pass late in games b/c the running game is dead. In addition please give the freshman RB's more reps. Lucky is not able to carry the work load. He loses his explosiveness and Castille is better running inside anyway. Hopefully Glenn will stay healthy and he can carry a lot of the load.

Things going well:

1. Special teams is doing well especially with the speed we have....or don't have I should say. Grix is doing well to control the field position and our coverages on punts and kickoffs are doing well. Not to mention the kicker has some power...finally.

2. The receivers are coming along. The last 2 weeks we have seen some dramatic improvement from the receivers. There have been some good routes and strong catches.

3. Keller finding his receivers. He is spreading the ball all over the field and that makes our passing game even more dangerous. He is looking for the tight ends more and stretching the field well when he has time.

I would like others to give their thoughts on what they would do. We can see who has some good/creative ideas. It doesn't need to be in this much detail sometimes I get carried away with schemes.

Ok now I am confused. Everyone talks about how people on this board need to come up with real solutions if they are going to complain. Here is a great opportunity for everyone to critique and praise the team.

Does nobody have any creative ideas? I am usually accused of not giving details of my ideas although I disagree.

I want to hear what you guys would fix since a lot of people have strong opinions of the team both good and bad. I don't want to think that people don't have any real suggestions.

I think you have some good ideas, maybe no one disagrees with you.

1. Really the only change i can think of to make an immediate impact would be to move Culbert to an outside linebacker position, we need to be faster on the edges, he maybe a little undersized but speed beats size anyday at linebacker. I think this would open up tons for us. He would be able to drop into coverage like a DB, also he would have speed to blitz from the outside.

2. I would have to agree with allowing castille to get more carries, because lucky certainly does not have the durabilty nor the stamina to carry the load. I think we need to run more play-action with castille in the game. Every time he is in the defenses have sold out to the run. I can only think of one time we ran a mis-direction with him in the game and he ran over a DB and almost scored. It was a 20 yd play agianst ball st.

3. I would like to continue seeing the TE getting involved in the game more. There is enormous amounts of opportunity if you have a good TE. Hopefully what we saw from Hill in the Ball St. game will continue.

Things we do well

1. Pass protection, with the exception of USC. Keller seems to have all day to throw and he is continueing to improve, i like how he steps up in the pocket. Although there have been a few times i would like to see him move out of the pocket to avoid trouble, but i think that comes with getting used to game speed and trusting your linemen.

2. Receivers have really impressed me. There have been less dropped passes with each game we have played. The timing between Keller and the receivers seems to be clicking.

3. Clock managment. This goes back to Keller, he is going to the sideline making sure he gets the play and we are seeing less delay of game penalties.

I think we need to run more play-action with castille in the game. Every time he is in the defenses have sold out to the run. I can only think of one time we ran a mis-direction with him in the game and he ran over a DB and almost scored. It was a 20 yd play agianst ball st.

Great idea and a very good call. Early on sub him in and hand it off to him, or have him pass block and then after a few series hit up the play action. Really good idea.

Changes:

1. Blitz more often and more creatively. Our Defensive Line is inexperienced and so far ineffective. Although I think they'll get better as the season goes on, they need some help in applying pressure. Our DBs our actually playing quite well, the gaudy passing statistics last week were more a result of poor pass rush, as Nate Davis often had to get to the third receiver in his progressions or later. As long as Bowman is on the field, we can afford to take some chances on corner and safety blitzes.

2. Get back to the run. This will depend a great deal on how the defense plays. Against a great run defense like USC it made sense to use the pass to set up the run later, of course the score ended up getting out of hand. Ball State also turned into a shootout. If we begin to keep opponents from scoring at will, the first order of business should be to take over the LOS with a firm commitment to the run.

3. Get Lucky and Castille or Glenn in the backfield at the same time. Doing so multiplies the number of options we have on offense and will really keep defenders on their heels.

More of the Same:

1. Speical teams. Have just been outstanding in all facets. May have been a deciding factor this past week and will probably win more games for us this year that could have gone the other way.

2. Sam Keller. Really surprised me the past two weeks after watching him struggle at Wake Forest. Hope he keeps his hot hand and cool head next time we're on the road.

3. Offensive system. For all the hatred of the West Coast Offense from Nebraskans, I'm really excited about the future.

When it is called for, I would use three d linemen and send Octavien in with to sole pourpous to make what ever lineman look for him on every down. And by that I mean, make him look with fear. Get inside the linemens heads. Beat them up physically. (it worked for me in highschool so what the hell) :lol:

Also, I would have board drills at the end of practice. I would tell them this drill is not about respect or coutesy. We have good quality players and to be the best you have to be able to knock the hell out of each other. After all it happens in the games so lets create game time intesity as much as possible. Board drills will piss you off and make you want to eat the arm off of who ever is on the other side, game or not. At the end of the week the player who wins the most gets the ugliest piece of crap medalion to wear showing they are this weeks ANIMAL.

I do agree with getting at least two backs in and make the d have to think and really work for the stops. I would like to see castille and Glenn in at the same time. Good luck to most DB's. And with that, get the O-line good and pissed. These monsters have to play with a serious attitude and start smashing people. I think the passing game is in gear. Now we need to get mean and impose our size on the O-line. Focus on pancake blocks, instead of a pass block type techniqe while running. Knock them down and let the H back worry about the second lvl. Also, get these BIG bodied recievers to focus on the same pancake blocking, make the d worry about taking hits themselves. Just get physicall and play with bad intentions. Board drills may help that. Just Ideas to stew on.

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

The good points:

Obviously, the passing game is in gear. Keller is really getting insync with these recievers. Some times the routs may not be perfect but Keller is getting in sync and knowing the recievers tendencies. VERY NICE!

Castille is looking like an animal. I get excited every time he gets the ball. (in case you didn't notice, I am defensively minded) He hits like a freight train and fights like hell for that next inch, yard... whatever he can get. I would much rather see his type of running, even if he has to learn a few things about ball security, versus a pass to a back that has the speed on the corners. Anyway, Castille has a hell of a future.

Ocatvian has the Fire and will. I hope he can hear Christan Peter and show it in that maner. He has the ability. And the long wait for Dillard. How about this kid. He had three stops inside the 10 yrd line in the Ball St game and almost single handedly made them settle for a feild goal. Ok he didn't break up the pass but he had one hell of a series there. And Zack Potter. How you you like to play against this giant? The hits he delivered were like a D1 linebacker on a elementry football player. Hot dam that was great!

Finally, as if you haven't read enough already, the kickoffs into the endzone....... the blocking by Castille on that return.... Thenarses special teams play. even if he needs to learn to controll his speed at the point of contact. I love it that he is there almost every time. When he has the chance and the control, one of these return guys are gonna wake up wondering it the game is over or just started. GREAT!

This is all great stuff. This thread isn't meant for people to criticize each others ideas so I appreciate everyone coming in with good and creative ideas and allowing each other to express our ideas.

There is definitely a lot of creative thinking out there and it's great to see everyone coming up with thoughts rather than flaming each other.

Let's keep it up. I like reading these ideas.

I would personally go away from a mainly zone block running scheme. Our line averages about 315 pounds so I would like to see more of a power running game with counters and a lead blocker in an I or of set I. I would still continue to run a stretch play to keep the defense honest so when we run a play action of the stretch play our tight end or fullback will be wide open. It seems to me that when we run now it is either stretch play right or left. I would also like us to go vertical more. In the ball st. game for the whole first half we lined up with three tight ends and one receiver (God only knows why that one receiver was Erickson most of the time). I also would like us to spread the defense out with three or four wide and run. I am not talking about the bunch three wide but spread them out past the hashes. I have said many times that I would LOVE to get Erickson out of there and put in anybody else to fill his spot. I Bleed Red-what did you mean by move Rudd outside? Hes already SAM, and I notice he does play a lot of "over" packages where he is on the line, so what did you mean by you would like to see more of that? Personally I would like for our linebackers to stay back a little bit bc when the offense runs off tackle or a play where they are counting on the cutback we get too far upfield and there is nobody there for the cutback lane. I would LOVE to get Culbert at WILL Dillard at MIKE and Octavien at SAM and play them in the traditional 4-3 base, none of this "over" or "under" bull. I love the fact that Coz has said he is going to get Prince and Washington and Blue in there as well as West, get some of these young guys some reps.

Ok I'll try.

1.) NU must win the turnover battles. As we all saw, it was a turnover that gave us a chance last week. This holds true all season. Being positive in this category is defensive fuel.

2.) We must practice hard to play harder. I know or at least hope we've always done this, but some argue the work ethic. Something about pads??

3.) Unity is the key. Players and fans alike could all use a little shot of koolaid. We are Nebraska.

1.) Octavien has shown leadership, along his ups and downs. Having a leader on defense is essential. Someone to fire up his troops, even when something bad happens.

2.) Purify is coming into his own as a receiver. If he figures out how to make guys miss after the catch watch out. Other receivers have stepped it up too. These guys give Keller options, including Lucky.

3.) We are not giving up. Although things have been up and down, the Huskers have not given up this season. I applaud the effort of the offense for good pass blocking and route running all the way to the end of each game. The defense has stepped it up a few times when they really had to.

I think there is some good stuff here, I have a couple of idears.

1. Play action passes to the TE. It works every flippin time, if we can run effectively(4 ypc) this will work all day, especially if Sean Hill is getting open.

2. Need to get some fire on D. I like the idea of having Octavien as a rush end on passing downs and Culbert playing the WILL in those situations. Let Asante roam and snotbubble people. He is thinking way too much out there and is stinking up the joint. Get him in there as an LB in a 4 backer set up and let him make plays.

3. McKeon needs to get mean or he needs to be on the sideline getting water for the rest of the players that are working hard enough to work up a thirst.

I would personally go away from a mainly zone block running scheme. Our line averages about 315 pounds so I would like to see more of a power running game with counters and a lead blocker in an I or of set I. I would still continue to run a stretch play to keep the defense honest so when we run a play action of the stretch play our tight end or fullback will be wide open. It seems to me that when we run now it is either stretch play right or left. I would also like us to go vertical more. In the ball st. game for the whole first half we lined up with three tight ends and one receiver (God only knows why that one receiver was Erickson most of the time). I also would like us to spread the defense out with three or four wide and run. I am not talking about the bunch three wide but spread them out past the hashes. I have said many times that I would LOVE to get Erickson out of there and put in anybody else to fill his spot. I Bleed Red-what did you mean by move Rudd outside? Hes already SAM, and I notice he does play a lot of "over" packages where he is on the line, so what did you mean by you would like to see more of that? Personally I would like for our linebackers to stay back a little bit bc when the offense runs off tackle or a play where they are counting on the cutback we get too far upfield and there is nobody there for the cutback lane. I would LOVE to get Culbert at WILL Dillard at MIKE and Octavien at SAM and play them in the traditional 4-3 base, none of this "over" or "under" bull. I love the fact that Coz has said he is going to get Prince and Washington and Blue in there as well as West, get some of these young guys some reps.

He does often play over but I think he should be there permanently, this is different because right now when we do that we only have 2 LBs. I would bring Culbert up as a rover/oversized safety and have him play weak side support even with the LB....this is crude but like this

**************************W(culbert)*******MLB****MLB

**********************************************************S(Ruud)

**********************************DE******DT****NT*****DE

************************************T****G****C****G***T***TE