New HuskerBoard Rule

I Bleed RED

It's cool, if you misspell or use very poor grammar it makes your opinions look stupid on that alone. Your only method of conveyance on the internet are your words, and if you can't spell or use them properly, I don't really take them seriously. I won't stop to correct you, but I won't read the post let alone debate it, also.

it's a medieval board jester dammit. ya freakin' non facist.

Gotta admit Husker 37 rulz :)

GBR

What do you mean, "rulz"?

Although I was trying to come up with the Jester response you gave.

(You probably saved me 15 min. of googling)

Oh yeah..One of me favourite translation sites: Dialectizer Convert English text to any of several comic dialects.

Too bad it dosent...doesnt....Don't work backward.

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

It's cool, if you misspell or use very poor grammar it makes your opinions look stupid on that alone. Your only method of conveyance on the internet are your words, and if you can't spell or use them properly, I don't really take them seriously. I won't stop to correct you, but I won't read the post let alone debate it, also.

What he said.

People make mistakes. Especially if you are seeing red with some of the stuff that's posted. But really, I think if you have a college education you wouldn't want to look like a moron.

Got an email from my Mother-In-Law yesterday.

She just retired from teaching HS English for 30 years.

Should I point out the 5 misspelled words I saw? (Especially since I always sucked at that subject (even though it was my native language)).

I think it'd be ironic. That's for sure.

I just wish I had a nickel for everytime "your an idiot" graced this board.

Amen. Or when someone says "your a looser." Real men of genius.

True enough. And for the record, if certain people who bleed colors or people who eat insects can repeatedly post about how smart they are and how stupid certain coaches are, yet their posts are littered with errors, in my opinion they ask for it.

This is not a final decision on the matter, but my thought is that we don't need this rule, for a number of reasons.

1. Most of the time, the "correction" does no harm. It may not contribute to the thread per se, but likewise it doesn't usually do any damage.

2. A rule like this will inevitably lead to requests for similar rules - which, in the end, simply constitutes a request to ban what amounts to an irritant. If we honor all such requests, soon we won't have any threads, posters, or posts. I, personally, find egregious grammatical and spelling errors (note the use of the word "egregious") distracting; it breaks the flow in reading the post. However, for many, it isn't an issue. The point is that it becomes impossible to ban every kind of posting style that distracts one or more readers.

3. What the hey - perhaps the corrections actually do some good. Perhaps the person who posts "I could care less" will actually learn that the term is "I couldn't care less" (since if you could care less, that means you must care to some degree). Perhaps they will learn that two is a number, too is synonymous with also, and to is a preposition. Perhaps someone will learn that your is possessive, while you're is a contraction of you are. This is HuskerBoard! We are a standard-bearer! We raise the level of discourse - we don't succumb to fads and lower standards.

To quote from The Sure Thing, "You're flunking English. That's your mother tongue!"

In the immoral words of Stan Lee, "'Nuff said!!!"

I agree with AR, know gnew rulz on this topic. And please do not correct my grammar or spelling, I don't like it.

Going forward, if anyone thinks we need new rules it would probably be best to pm an Admin, do not make it part of the board discussion. As AR points out, more often then not there are usually ulterior motives for the requesting of new rules.

I am not sure where this thread belongs but can we get the MODs to add to the rules:

*You cannot act like a 7th grade English teacher and go around correcting grammar and spelling if that is the only topic to your post*

It's bad enough when some members only insult someone as their post but this is a blog and chat room and errors are expected.

According to McMurry (a large marketing and advertising firm in the US) when a person adds comments to a blog the comments are NOT corrected for grammatical or spelling errors. The only editing is done for inflammatory comments. It is not expected for the comments to be done with perfect grammar because of the nature of Internet chat room behaviors and acronyms.

I think some of the members who only want to insult others and miss the point of the actual topic at hand.

Do I have any supporters of this new rule being added? It's distracting, annoying and insulting to others and I feel it doesn't add value to the board.

Ha, you're referring directly to me. Very subtle. :sarcasm

And usually, I don't care about someone's bad grammar on a message board. And in the recent case where I corrected the grammar of an Iowa State troll, it was because he came onto this board with the sole intent to talk trash and annoy us. I'll correct his grammar, just to get in his face.

Also, if you would have even READ beyond the grammar corrections I made, you would have seen that I talked more about the upcoming football game than about his grammar mistakes.

So shove it. :)

EDIT: Have you ever seen me attack the grammar of a member of this board who contributes positively and intelligently? No.

Don';t tell someone to shove it.....warning

ETR..

What does that term mean? and why is it drawing a warning? (PM me if the answer is too offensive).

Seems like it became popular around the same time as "Keep on Truckin'", and I'm sure I've been told to shove "stuff"? a few times in the past, but what does it really mean? I'm assuming it's short for something, like when you call someone a "Mother", and you leave off the naughty word, but everyone knows what you mean.

I never bothered to find out what I was sposed to push.

EDIT..

Never mind..(Thanks Google)

I guess it's not important "What" is being shoved, but Where It's being moved to..I vaguely remember something about a location that doesn't get much sun.

• 1 month later...