ISU game...tough to determine much

This is a tough game to make any conclusions from. We gave up a lot of yards and gave them the ball for waaaaay too long (over 100 PLAYS!!)), BUT we came up with big stops and got 4 turnovers.

Our offense scored only 28 pts and we got the ball at the 3 for one of those scores. It's was a game that we won handily in the second half and we played very average for us so that is a good sign. We are still having trouble with drops.

I really hope we can get everything clicking at once next week.

I don't think we should criticize them nor praise them much....other than the big interceptions.

I'm not so sure I'm on board with that. In fact, I'm not. I listened to the game.

Praise:

Suh - he banged up his knee, returned later and was a big part of the stopping the run & clogging up the middle.

McKeon - I constantly heard his named called for making a lot of big hits & getting tackles.

Ruud - It was 21-10, ISU inside the 10 and he intercepted a pass off a deflection and took it 93 yards to the house. How HUGE of a turnaround was that? Very.

Grixby - Interceptions are big and when you do it, that's making a play. How big was the kickoff return to set up the two minute offense before half?

The two minute offense before half & trailing - It worked. They scored a touchdown to go up at half time. That's not automatic. They almost did it again with less than 50 seconds. But the effort deserves the praise. Keller throws the ball away and they kick a FG next time rather than staying in bounds. He'll be reminded & learn from it.

Swift & Purify made several key catches to keep drives going.

Huskers were favored and won. So was OU and they loss. Enjoy the victory brotha.

There's more but I'm done typing...

This is a tough game to make any conclusions from. We gave up a lot of yards and gave them the ball for waaaaay too long (over 100 PLAYS!!)), BUT we came up with big stops and got 4 turnovers.

Our offense scored only 28 pts and we got the ball at the 3 for one of those scores. It's was a game that we won handily in the second half and we played very average for us so that is a good sign. We are still having trouble with drops.

I don't think we should criticize them nor praise them much....other than the big interceptions.

I'm not so sure I'm on board with that. In fact, I'm not. I listened to the game.

Praise:

Suh - he banged up his knee, returned later and was a big part of the stopping the run & clogging up the middle.

McKeon - I constantly heard his named called for making a lot of big hits & getting tackles.

Ruud - It was 21-10, ISU inside the 10 and he intercepted a pass off a deflection and took it 93 yards to the house. How HUGE of a turnaround was that? Very.

Grixby - Interceptions are big and when you do it, that's making a play. How big was the kickoff return to set up the two minute offense before half?

The two minute offense before half & trailing - It worked. They scored a touchdown to go up at half time. That's not automatic. They almost did it again with less than 50 seconds. But the effort deserves the praise. Keller throws the ball away and they kick a FG next time rather than staying in bounds. He'll be reminded & learn from it.

Huskers were favored and won. So was OU and they loss. Enjoy the victory brotha.

Those are good observations of things that went well but what about what went bad? Listen to Cally after the game.....he is saying the same things. Did good, did bad but in the end we won.

I said, there is no reason to complain. My first post I was saying it's a tough game to determine how good we are. We won though and I have no complaints, just tough one to judge without game film and it was nice to see that we won pretty easily considering our inconsistencies.

Nebraska played much improved football today, but, they are capable of so much more. Hopefully by next week they can start to put it together and start playing the way the are capable of playing. By the way, one of the comentators for the Texas, K-Sucks game said Nebraska struggled against Iowa St. I don't think they struggled.

Praise:

Those are good observations of things that went well but what about what went bad? Listen to Cally after the game.....he is saying the same things. Did good, did bad but in the end we won.

I said, there is no reason to complain. My first post I was saying it's a tough game to determine how good we are. We won though and I have no complaints, just tough one to judge without game film and it was nice to see that we won pretty easily considering our inconsistencies.

K.. gotcha. I'm good with the win, wasnt pretty, and considering all that's happening today in college football, plus the heavy week we all just went through, I'm alright with just getting the dub-ya.

I can't believe Callahan is bragging about the special teams.

Only a moronic coach would start ragging on his players during a post-game show. He highlights the positives and says there are things we need to work on.

Yes, but you don't bring them up then at all and don't remark how tremendous they were when they cost your team at least two possesions in the first half.

I can't believe Callahan is bragging about the special teams.

Only a moronic coach would start ragging on his players during a post-game show. He highlights the positives and says there are things we need to work on.

Well, Cally wasn't asked about the special teams, he brought it up as a bright spot of the game. I think STEEL meant Cally shouldn't be bragging about special teams because they didn't deserve it.

I think are defense still stinks. This was Iowa State. They had us down 10-0. And they continued to drive on us... we couldn't really stop them without those turnovers... bah. 3 and out. What ever happened to those?

:yeah

I know that people want to spin positives about this game. But ISU really stopped THEMSELVES with the turnovers. I never have bought into a "bend and not break defense" - it just means that the field becomes shorter as you drive down the field...helping the defense out. It's easy to see improvement after Ball STate and USC....but the Blackshirts are FAR from regaining the stagger that they once held.

I think are defense still stinks. This was Iowa State. They had us down 10-0. And they continued to drive on us... we couldn't really stop them without those turnovers... bah. 3 and out. What ever happened to those?

I know that people want to spin positives about this game. But ISU really stopped THEMSELVES with the turnovers. I never have bought into a "bend and not break defense" - it just means that the field becomes shorter as you drive down the field...helping the defense out. It's easy to see improvement after Ball STate and USC....but the Blackshirts are FAR from regaining the stagger that they once held.

On the contrary, I think they clearly have the stagger.

I hope with the TOs the Blackshirts got today help with their confidence. It was a sloppy win (too many plays for ISU, not enough 3 and outs, etc), but they did make some stops by getting some TOs.

After McKeon's little tirades this week, he did step up and have a pretty good game. He better keep doing that. Ruud's INT was great and what can we say about Grixby? He played well and made some big plays.

The Blackshirts better have another good week of practice and get ready for Missery...I doubt their receivers are going to be dropping as many balls as ISU did today.

The offense better start protecting the ball better. The fumbles are not acceptable!

I hope with the TOs the Blackshirts got today help with their confidence. It was a sloppy win (too many plays for ISU, not enough 3 and outs, etc), but they did make some stops by getting some TOs.

After McKeon's little tirades this week, he did step up and have a pretty good game. He better keep doing that. Ruud's INT was great and what can we say about Grixby? He played well and made some big plays.

The Blackshirts better have another good week of practice and get ready for Missery...I doubt their receivers are going to be dropping as many balls as ISU did today.

The offense better start protecting the ball better. The fumbles are not acceptable!

You're right, fumbles are never acceptable, but I think they have been kept to a minimum this year.

:corndance:rollin:corndance:rollin:nutz

QUOTE(Silent Commit @ Sep 29 2007, 06:01 PM)

I'm confused as to why you would think that "they clearly have the stagger"....

For the third week in a row, the opposing team had outperformed the Huskers in nearly all categories. Again, I think the ISU stopped themselves more than the Huskers were able to stop them. It would be nice to see more 3 and outs.....100 plays given to the opposing offense? The D certainly wasn't keeping them off the field - and this to a not-so-good ISU team. Of course, I only heard the game. If you were at Memorial stadium and could give me some information as to how the Blackshirts are BACK, I would appreciate it.