Was at the game behind NU bench, some thoughts

Alright so I was in Columbia for the weekend behind the NU bench two rows up around the 25 yard line and first of all the game atmosphere was remarkable. I arrived there with my friends around 3 and started to tailgate. The majority of the fans we ran into were very nice and welcomed and thanked us for coming. Minus a few people the majority were very nice.

Now as far as the game, Missouri's stadium doesn't compare to ours. It was pretty loud in there but not comparable to games at Memorial Stadium, in specific the Texas game from last year and USC this year.

To get to the good stuff or the bad stuff in the case of our performance from last night. To me it just seemed like no one was fired up what so ever. I mean I didn't see anyone getting jacked up at all. Throughout the game I was hoping for someone on the team to get these guys jacked up but I never saw it once. The only times I saw any emotion from the players was when Sam Keller was sacked on the drive where we put up our second field goal. He came over to bench looking mad and wanted more out of that drive then the field goal they got. The other player was D. Jones, offensive lineman. When Missouri scored their first or second drive he got really upset and to me it seemed like he wanted to go in the game and knock someone out.

Now I don't know what is really going on behind cameras but this team to me seems to lack any sort of motivation. I might be wrong and if I am I will eat my own words, but the couple of times when we made a play no one was really getting fired up, whether on the bench or on the field.

The defense we played out there was just pathetic. After the first drive my friends and I just had a feeling that if we didn't do anything on offense we were done, which as it turns out happened. I was in the crowd of lets play out this season and see what happens, but man I am just done with Cosgrove and Phil Elm. Why is it that we always have our cornerbacks not looking back? There were 3 pass interferences that could have been avoided and maybe even we could have picked them off.

Why in the world didn't we come out of the second half and adjust? We kept this pathetic 3-3-5 defense out there and continued to get burnt. There was absolutely no push by the line and the blitzes were not effective at all.

I will continue to cheer on the Huskers, but something needs to be done on defense. Some of those guys out there, whether they be new or old, need to get the group together and get everyone fired up. We have a very tough schedule left and things could only get worse if we don't fix our problems soon.

By the way, anyone saying we lack size, you should have seen most of our guys out there. We were just as big and fast as most of those guys but like I said, it just seems like we are playing with no heart. I guess these guys aren't having fun. Pathetic.

They're learning it from the best...their coaches don't really seem to care either. Missery runs the fake FG to really pound it into Nebraska, and guess what...they showed the sideline after this...

No emotion. No reaction. No nothing. Callahan...no reaction. Cosgrove...no reaction. Are these guys just so thankful that they get to go home to their luxurious mansions, sweet cars, and plush lifestyles that NU fans have provided them that that is the bottom line?

Sweet Lord, I know nothing about coaching, but I will go out there for free and run with these guys, scream at them, puke with them after doing conditioning drills with them, letting them know time and time again what it means to be a Husker, a Blackshirt, a teammate for f*ck's sake. There is no camaraderie on this team. No one has anyone's back. It looks like they are so focused to start their NFL career that they don't even know how to perform at this level. No wonder they're not having any fun. It's all business and emotionless.

:wtf

Seriously? I wasn't real upset until I saw that tonight. Apparently Nebraska isn't fielding a football team anymore, they are fielding a very successful, egotistical, Anger Management clinic.

I am honestly not trying to flame here, but, I would agree NU is just as big, but, you are not as fast.

Atleast on Saturday night NU was not near as fast as MU.

I have never seen an NU team with such a lack of speed. I am really not trying to flame here, as I am a NU fan 364 days a year and I am a Nebraska Native. The MU Offense was two steps ahead of NU all night.

Maybe it was the scheme, but, in my humble opinion MU looked the faster team.

They're learning it from the best...their coaches don't really seem to care either. Missery runs the fake FG to really pound it into Nebraska, and guess what...they showed the sideline after this...

No emotion. No reaction. No nothing. Callahan...no reaction. Cosgrove...no reaction. Are these guys just so thankful that they get to go home to their luxurious mansions, sweet cars, and plush lifestyles that NU fans have provided them that that is the bottom line?

Sweet Lord, I know nothing about coaching, but I will go out there for free and run with these guys, scream at them, puke with them after doing conditioning drills with them, letting them know time and time again what it means to be a Husker, a Blackshirt, a teammate for f*ck's sake. There is no camaraderie on this team. No one has anyone's back. It looks like they are so focused to start their NFL career that they don't even know how to perform at this level. No wonder they're not having any fun. It's all business and emotionless.

Seriously? I wasn't real upset until I saw that tonight. Apparently Nebraska isn't fielding a football team anymore, they are fielding a very successful, egotistical, Anger Management clinic.

I think we should have seen this all coming when the Zack Bowman, a fricken Captain!, removes his Blackshirt and not one other guy follows him. Not only do other supposed leaders not follow, but the coaches show no support in backing him either in taking the rest of them away... a sign of a "great" team.

I am honestly not trying to flame here, but, I would agree NU is just as big, but, you are not as fast.

I have never seen an NU team with such a lack of speed. I am really not trying to flame here, as I am a NU fan 364 days a year and I am a Nebraska Native. The MU Offense was two steps ahead of NU all night.

I'd call that the lack of motivation and desire that the coaching staff has instilled in these players.

They were faster on the field...

That said...MU is NOT more athletic than our Huskers. We have plenty of athletes on the field. They are simply spending to much time thinking and not enough time just flat out playing. Our coaching staf has completely negated their athleticism by instilling doubt...

Come on Bill...just let 'em play!!! :steam

The only times I saw any emotion from the players was when Sam Keller was sacked on the drive where we put up our second field goal. He came over to bench looking mad and wanted more out of that drive then the field goal they got.

The camera's que'ed in on Keller after that play and you could see he was seriously pissed off Jose...and rightfully so. He's trying to do his part with little to no help from the O-line and the D. Didn't Keller throw his helmet into the bench area as he was coming off the field? I thought I seen him throw something

I agree with most of the above posts, Nebraska had little emotion, and we kept killings our own drives with penalties. We didn't get the ball into our playmakers hand, and our O-line wasn't blocking well, and Keller, was overthrowing people. And for our defense, well a 3-3-5, gives Daniels all the time he wants to pass, he's gonna fond a receiver eventually. I still support Nebraska no matter what happens.

GO BIG RED

The only times I saw any emotion from the players was when Sam Keller was sacked on the drive where we put up our second field goal. He came over to bench looking mad and wanted more out of that drive then the field goal they got.

The camera's que'ed in on Keller after that play and you could see he was seriously pissed off Jose...and rightfully so. He's trying to do his part with little to no help from the O-line and the D. Didn't Keller throw his helmet into the bench area as he was coming off the field? I thought I seen him throw something

I noticed that too. The coaches need to get the same fire that Keller is showing!!!!

Here's the basic problem. No one if having any fun playing football anymore. This season has now become a job to the players, and it's showing. I played for a staff similar to this staff. We never played as a team, and every player was out there for himself trying to make his own highlight reel. We never had much success even though we had more talent than 90% of the teams we played. By having no fun, motivation and attitude turns south rather quickly.

IT ALL falls on the heads of the coaches. this is not the first comment i have read about the total lack of cohesiveness on this team.

I've seen it before. The '67 Sugar bowl when Bear Bryant's Crimson Tide ran all over the Huskers. I was at that game and the Huskers had great big linemen and Alabama had smaller but much faster players. Devaney started recruiting speed instead of bulk and look what happened. The '71 Huskers were one of the best college teams of all time. Speed and size is possible, but we don't have the speed now.

I noticed that too. The coaches need to get the same fire that Keller is showing!!!!

Here's the weird part of all this to me -- Tom Osborne always seemed pretty stoic to me too -- he'd get fired up once in awhile, but TO was as really good at coach speak and staying emotionally on an even keel -- maybe in his day there were some assitants that would get the team fired up? I don't remember TO's staff well, but NU sure won a lot of games and TO did not have to break out fire and brimstone very often.

I just don't think the defense believes in Cosgrove or his system, and with doubt they lack passion.

here is what i say when i was at the game Saturday, when Missouri was doing pregame warm ups, their guys were FIRED UP!!!, they came on to the field as fired up as i have seen anyone come out this year, i knew that if our guys didn't come out with that emotion we were toast. they did their prayer with i don't know which players do that but i could hear them they were very emotional. they are just like South Florida, THEY PLAYED WITH HEART!!!