Is the Option Dead?

Spread Option, yes... the evolution of the option... all "option" means is a play-action run--i.e., a faked handoff and misdirection. West Virginia runs the option every play, and if they don't, it is a playaction. Texas runs the spread--there are more passes, more draws, not a lot of option running. Huge difference to what WV or Illinois does.

So as long as they run an option every now and then, they are an option team?

I hope you get your wish, but I really think if somehow the coaches were to be switched we'd be SOL with some of the guys we have recruited. I don't really see a guy like Patrick Witt running an option attack.

There are a lot of different points of view as to whether the "option" would be effective as the base offense or not. When we ran that type of offense there was a distinct difference between what we did and what other teams did and that was T.O. He was continually changing and tweeking his game plans. He could make adjustments to what the defense was doing and as we all know he was very good at it.

I do not know if there will ever be anyone that can duplicate what he did with that type of offnese. The players coming out of high school are looking for the best route to the NFL or on espn. T.O. was a genius when it came to running that offense and some people thought it was a vanillia offense but if you ask the people that tried to defend his attack they would tell you different.

I can't say it would be better to run that now or not. The brains behind the system had a staff that evolved with him and everyone truely believed that they would succede. To go back in time and try that now would be a crap shoot that only a few if anyone could pull off.

The analagy that no one else is doing it so we shouldnt is not a good reason though. A better reason for not going back may be that it would take to long to aquire the right coaches and team players to believe in that type of system.

I personally loved it when we totaly controlled a team by beating them down and owning them. We were able to do that by making their defense cover the entire field. They had to support the run but could not give up on pass protection. Like I said before it had as much to do with who was calling the plays as anything else.

I am not an expert on any of this but thought I would throw that out there.

GBR

I do not wish to debate the option vs WCO. Every offense has pluses and minuses. I think the WCO can be a very effective offense given the right players and play calling. If it were me though, I would like to run a hybrid of Cally's WCO and have two back sets. Our running game seems to be way to limited in the current version. Our personnel packages also seem to telegraph what we are planning on running.

How many high school QBs are lining up to run the option?

How many NFL teams that they may aspire to play for run that offense?

15 years ago it was a lot easier to find a Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, or even Steve Taylor. It still starts with the QB--but it's a question of the type of QB. It's a lot easier nowadays to find one that can throw the ball than run a 4.5 40.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the WCO supposed to be a balanced attack? In order to be successful, you have to be able to run the ball in some capacity. We are not running the WCO like it was intended to be run because quite frankly we have no running game. We have the Texas Tech offense. Correct that, we are the Texas Tech of the North (no running game, good passing game, absolutely no defense). The wishbone still works if you have the right personnell and coach, and so does the WCO if you have the right people!

I miss the NU football of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. College football seems to have changed alot since then. I watched this Misouri game Saturday (well, ONCE ESPN was KIND ENUFF to LET ME watch it!) and I think the NU team we saw was as good as they get. I think that was their highest level of play BECAUSE that is the highest level we can currently coach and highest level we can currently recruit. You don't make Big 12 Championship games like this. When we got beat by USC and then came back to a dismal win over Iowa State, I could tell the kids didn't have the fire we once had. Remember how it USED to be when we lost... my GOD! Whoever we played next was generally left battered, bruised and shaken, confused. Not so much anymore. That being said, I will also say that I am proud of all the NU players. I think they've tried hard all season and will continue to try hard for the rest of the season. One thing this team can REALLY be proud of is their ability to RALLY when down (OK, take away Mizzou, that was just a no-win situation). I can remember the days when IF Nebraska was down at any point in the game, it was a good chance that it was over. This team has rallied nicely in several games when evenly matched on the field. To me, Keller is AWESOME. I think our offense is much, much improved over last year. Defense is improved but something ain't quite right there. The kids seem to be faster than last year. Out of position less? WHY are we not seeing improvement then? We can all scream about coaches (I'm not a big fan of where we are right now either) or we can all scream about players (just remember tho, they are KIDS for god's sake, 20 year old KIDS!) but when it comes right down to it, we need to support them and let them work it out. BUT, god dang it!!! I still miss the option! "Tommy's under center, he takes the snap, he rolls right, he pitches (BIG GASP AND PAUSE....).

I dont see a problem with a WCO. Where I do see a problem is the type of WCO that we run.

I love the balance attack. Or the choice to move the ball downfield passing or running. I love the foward pass. Would like to see the ball thrown downfield more. Keep the backs in to pick up blitzes or whoever beats the O-line.

Next season would be nice to see the offense handed over to the OC, let him tweak the offense, call the plays, tune down the complexity - to where these players can worry less about the precise timing of every play, remove the crazy verbage, and let these players have the chance to play college football and make plays. A crazy idea - but it happens for almost every other team.

I miss the NU football of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. College football seems to have changed alot since then. I watched this Misouri game Saturday (well, ONCE ESPN was KIND ENUFF to LET ME watch it!) and I think the NU team we saw was as good as they get. I think that was their highest level of play BECAUSE that is the highest level we can currently coach and highest level we can currently recruit. You don't make Big 12 Championship games like this. When we got beat by USC and then came back to a dismal win over Iowa State, I could tell the kids didn't have the fire we once had. Remember how it USED to be when we lost... my GOD! Whoever we played next was generally left battered, bruised and shaken, confused. Not so much anymore. That being said, I will also say that I am proud of all the NU players. I think they've tried hard all season and will continue to try hard for the rest of the season. One thing this team can REALLY be proud of is their ability to RALLY when down (OK, take away Mizzou, that was just a no-win situation). I can remember the days when IF Nebraska was down at any point in the game, it was a good chance that it was over. This team has rallied nicely in several games when evenly matched on the field. To me, Keller is AWESOME. I think our offense is much, much improved over last year. Defense is improved but something ain't quite right there. The kids seem to be faster than last year. Out of position less? WHY are we not seeing improvement then? We can all scream about coaches (I'm not a big fan of where we are right now either) or we can all scream about players (just remember tho, they are KIDS for god's sake, 20 year old KIDS!) but when it comes right down to it, we need to support them and let them work it out. BUT, god dang it!!! I still miss the option! "Tommy's under center, he takes the snap, he rolls right, he pitches (BIG GASP AND PAUSE....).

The option dead now, you can't run it the players are bigger faster meaner and their not like the slow plodders of yesterday Grant Winstrom, Mike Rucker, Ray Lewis, Carlos Polk, Peter Brothers, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Mike Brown. those guys would be your average player now. I mean sure you could run on those types of players but to try it now would be another disaster. Then you could have your small lineman and pancake but now you need those 6'6" 340 pound guys to open those big holes. Look could you really see Will Shields playing now? He be lucky to make second string on USC team. I'm sure more of my fellow the option is dead fans will have more to add to the list.

Give player and coaches time it's not like their going to miss the playoffs or allow anyone to come into Memorial stadium and treat them like bitches. What you fans want? To have the freshman play and lose more games? I think it's time for another Black out!! Who is with me?