Pounding the Rock goes to the wayside

The large rock still sits outside the Nebraska football locker room. There’s an engraved sign on the top that reads “POUND THE ROCK.”

Who’s pounding it?

Nobody, judging by Nebraska’s recent anemic rushing statistics.

“Do we pound it? No, we don’t pound it,” Nebraska running back Marlon Lucky said. “I don’t know. I don’t even know what the rock’s there for.”

<_<<_<

Journal Star

EDITED:

Check out Lucky's last statement in this article

A lot of people like Marlon Lucky and think he's got a lot of potential. I'm not one of them. I think he's an over-hyped 5* washout that will likely never fully transition to the D1 level. I don't know if he's ever made a big play unless the line opens up lanes my grandpa could run through or defenders are so out of position that they don't even touch him on his way to the endzone. He shies away from contact, and if a stiff with comes up, he goes down. Seriously, he just cannot take physical football, which means he's in the wrong friggin state. As a reception back I don't think anyone can deny him there; so long as he's going at a decent trot when he catches the ball, we're looking at 5-20 yards, depending on the defense.

I hope if anyone disagrees here that you daren't cite the Nevada game as evidence to the contrary. I could have had a 233 yard day agains that run defense.

X

A lot of people like Marlon Lucky and think he's got a lot of potential. I'm not one of them. I think he's an over-hyped 5* washout that will likely never fully transition to the D1 level. I don't know if he's ever made a big play unless the line opens up lanes my grandpa could run through or defenders are so out of position that they don't even touch him on his way to the endzone. He shies away from contact, and if a stiff with comes up, he goes down. Seriously, he just cannot take physical football, which means he's in the wrong friggin state. As a reception back I don't think anyone can deny him there; so long as he's going at a decent trot when he catches the ball, we're looking at 5-20 yards, depending on the defense.

I hope if anyone disagrees here that you daren't cite the Nevada game as evidence to the contrary. I could have had a 233 yard day agains that run defense.

X

You are entitled to your opinion, however I disagree. Lucky plays his ass off out there and is one of the few that is really showing passion to play. He has broken quite a few tackles this year and always fights for extra yards. You can't fight for yards very hard when you get hit by 3 tacklers in the backfield. God that clown is creepy.

I know you are not saying he doesn't play hard, but that's not the type back he is. We were looking at him and Glenn as the next Bush and White. That doesn't look like its going to happen. I still think he gets good yardage when he has a little room to get started but that's the problem, no room. <_<

GBR!!!

X

right on x, the kid was way over hyped, line or no line, he doesn't have what it takes to go to the next level.

doesn't even know why the rock is out by the door......funny sh#t.

X

right on x, the kid was way over hyped, line or no line, he doesn't have what it takes to go to the next level.

I wonder how well he's been coached. How many of Callahan's fab recruits have lived up to their potential? It might not be them ...

X

I wonder how well he's been coached. How many of Callahan's fab recruits have lived up to their potential? It might not be them ...

X

When we were told about Lucky and Glenn being the next great thing, We were actually being pissed on and told it was raining. Glenn has serious durability issues, and if he could manage to stay healthy for more than 3 plays he would be a mediocre threat at best. Lucky is worse than Glenn in my opinion, he can't pound the rock. He has the worst field vission of anyone i have ever seen. I would bet Lou Holtz could see the cutback lanes better than Lucky. Lucky is nothing more than a straight ahead runner who will only juke if someone isnt in his way. When he gets tripped up within 3 yds of the line of scrimmage, about 80% of the time there is a cutback lane he doesnt see. He gets fustrated and just runs up Slausens rearend. If he wants to know how to pound the rock, watch highlights of the Macovicka brothers. I hate to be the hater but that is just my opinion.

To use the term "over hyped" - I really do not think that is Lucky's fault. He never came to Lincoln pumping his 5-star chest. I think he is doing fine. He could do a better job taking a half step quicker getting to the outside or hitting the hole. He is fast, but there is no burst. Overall, he's doing fine in my opinion. I think Castille should be used more, about 10 - 14 carries each game running between the tackles. It would benefit the team since they run different, making it difficult on defenses. And as the line needs to improve as well. A lot.